I am giving up the booze

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by spike7451, Jun 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Well,today I'm 42,last night I drunk a bottle of scotch & today my head hurts & I'm still pished,
    GF & I going out tonight,is it bad manners not to drink on ones birthday?
    Oh,fuck,I'm gonna hurl.....................

2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Poof! Did you swamp the bed?

3. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Grow a pair for FFS. Hair of the dog is the way ahead.

2 hours and counting till I hit the pub.

4. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I have a pussy cat.....

(Chili beans taste feckin aweful coming back up,The bed was'nt swamped)

5. Did you see the thing about it is the sobering up that causes most of the brain damage? This researcher says, "Purely from the point of view of your brain, if you had the choice between getting plastered every other day, or staying pretty drunk all the time, you'd be better staying drunk". So, your brain or your liver, basically.

Lot better avoiding both, though.

Must be 8 years or more since I had a drink. I always fell off the wagon when I was trying to give up. I just got lucky - the tremendous desire to get shizered just seemed to go.

6. Not just luck seems that the AA's 90 day medal is in fact a scientific fact.

The brain and the part of the brain that supports "addiction" takes 3 months to reset.

If you can last 3 months you should be Ok.

Me 3 hours is too much :D

7. I drank a bucket of rum on Wednesday to help a mate celebrate his first comedy spot in front of people who hadnt paid to get into his rally. Still feel sick and keep belching up the basil the tasteless bast put in the mohito instead of mint. Im waiting for him to show up then we`re off down to Llagollen to watch the Jalepenos in a mates pub that rarely shuts.
    I would give up drinking,did it for a year a while ago,but my social life disappeared,and I was close to scuttling around my house wearing shoeboxes and never washing. Did save enough to double glaze the house though

8. Happy Birthday :boogie:

Don't worry your first drink later will be a 'kill or cure' one! Best of luck keeping it down :wink:

9. If you can't keep off the booze keep off the spirits.

10. Well if you want two measures of Gin in a pint of tonic then go ahead. You'll need a two pint glass if you want to have ice.

That's why it doesn't work.

11. well, roughly, a single spirit with a half pint of water or soft drink is about the same concentration as a half of bitter or lager. The ice will dilute it a bit too.

I would think the soft drink will have more sugar than bitter though so from a calorie point of view there's that to consider too.

12. Whoah Spike! Make no rash descisions based on one hangover. Take good stock first. Have a good look around, look at your family, look at your missus, look at your mates, look in your mirror and think about work.

Now imagine doing all that if you were sober, you would need a bucket!

Alcohol is the oil which makes our society work. Everything else is rag headed propaganda or the tinkerings of arse bandits! Now you know I'm talking reason don't you?

13. One good way to reduce your alcohol intake is to drink a pint of water before you have a "proper" drink. This is particularly effective when it's hot because otherwise you just sling the first pint down in seconds.

14. Result! Had a freebie Cholesterol check at Sainsburys the other week and deep down I knew it would come back shoite as I am attempting a world record of unit consumptions in one year (it should look like a long binary number beginning with 1 by now) Off to the docs sharpish and a liver function test was duly administered. "The liver test is fine MBH" (cholesterol is still shoite, just had another 'fasting' test and waiting for results.) said the Doctor. I'm stupid me I am. I wont give up or cut back cos' I like it very much indeed but If the doc had lied just a little bit for me, I would give up tomorrow!
    You only live once! Fill yer boots!

15. The low sugar drinks may bring problems of their own. They have lots of chemical sweeteners. There is a lot of argument over the validity of these claims but I would err on the side of caution.

Bottled real ale is the way forward for drinking at home!