• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

I am giving up the booze

Well,today I'm 42,last night I drunk a bottle of scotch & today my head hurts & I'm still pished,
GF & I going out tonight,is it bad manners not to drink on ones birthday?
Oh,fuck,I'm gonna hurl.....................

Did you see the thing about it is the sobering up that causes most of the brain damage? This researcher says, "Purely from the point of view of your brain, if you had the choice between getting plastered every other day, or staying pretty drunk all the time, you'd be better staying drunk". So, your brain or your liver, basically.

Lot better avoiding both, though.

Must be 8 years or more since I had a drink. I always fell off the wagon when I was trying to give up. I just got lucky - the tremendous desire to get shizered just seemed to go.

Not just luck seems that the AA's 90 day medal is in fact a scientific fact.

The brain and the part of the brain that supports "addiction" takes 3 months to reset.

If you can last 3 months you should be Ok.

Me 3 hours is too much :D

I drank a bucket of rum on Wednesday to help a mate celebrate his first comedy spot in front of people who hadnt paid to get into his rally. Still feel sick and keep belching up the basil the tasteless bast put in the mohito instead of mint. Im waiting for him to show up then we`re off down to Llagollen to watch the Jalepenos in a mates pub that rarely shuts.
I would give up drinking,did it for a year a while ago,but my social life disappeared,and I was close to scuttling around my house wearing shoeboxes and never washing. Did save enough to double glaze the house though

spike7451 said:
Well,today I'm 42,last night I drunk a bottle of scotch & today my head hurts & I'm still pished,
GF & I going out tonight,is it bad manners not to drink on ones birthday?
Oh,*,I'm gonna hurl.....................
Happy Birthday :boogie:

Don't worry your first drink later will be a 'kill or cure' one! Best of luck keeping it down :wink:

Mr_Deputy said:
mate told me he'd had his liver checked by a doctor who said avoiding spirits is a very good idea as it damages the kidneys more than beer or wine.
but if you mix spirits with soft drinks (as long drinks) as I do - isnt it about the same?
Well if you want two measures of Gin in a pint of tonic then go ahead. You'll need a two pint glass if you want to have ice.

That's why it doesn't work.

Mr_Deputy said:
I see - altho I am prepared to try it.
I guess a single shot mixed with a pint of soft drink might be about the same then?
I can do half measures if it is for the good of my kidneys.
well, roughly, a single spirit with a half pint of water or soft drink is about the same concentration as a half of bitter or lager. The ice will dilute it a bit too.

I would think the soft drink will have more sugar than bitter though so from a calorie point of view there's that to consider too.

Whoah Spike! Make no rash descisions based on one hangover. Take good stock first. Have a good look around, look at your family, look at your missus, look at your mates, look in your mirror and think about work.

Now imagine doing all that if you were sober, you would need a bucket!

Alcohol is the oil which makes our society work. Everything else is rag headed propaganda or the tinkerings of arse bandits! Now you know I'm talking reason don't you?

One good way to reduce your alcohol intake is to drink a pint of water before you have a "proper" drink. This is particularly effective when it's hot because otherwise you just sling the first pint down in seconds.

Result! Had a freebie Cholesterol check at Sainsburys the other week and deep down I knew it would come back shoite as I am attempting a world record of unit consumptions in one year (it should look like a long binary number beginning with 1 by now) Off to the docs sharpish and a liver function test was duly administered. "The liver test is fine MBH" (cholesterol is still shoite, just had another 'fasting' test and waiting for results.) said the Doctor. I'm stupid me I am. I wont give up or cut back cos' I like it very much indeed but If the doc had lied just a little bit for me, I would give up tomorrow!
You only live once! Fill yer boots!

Mr_Deputy said:
you only liveR once though!

(BTW cheers ExStab I'll think on about that. Mrs Dep is a bit concerned and so I will water everything down massively. Fine by me. We generally live healthily and booze is pretty much my only bad habit. Even buy low sugar drinks. - so your good point about sugar is an issue which has been covered.)
The low sugar drinks may bring problems of their own. They have lots of chemical sweeteners. There is a lot of argument over the validity of these claims but I would err on the side of caution.

Bottled real ale is the way forward for drinking at home!

EX_STAB said:
Nah I'm having a very large shed (she calls it a summer house) put at the end of the garden and I have just priced up a bar, now I just have to decide on my product selection, but I think it'll have to be Carlsberg Guinness and T.E.A., all in all much cheaper than buying bottles or cans, I may need some help getting through it all before the barrel turns though!!

fuctifino said:
EX_STAB said:
Nah I'm having a very large shed (she calls it a summer house) put at the end of the garden and I have just priced up a bar, now I just have to decide on my product selection, but I think it'll have to be Carlsberg Guinness and T.E.A., all in all much cheaper than buying bottles or cans, I may need some help getting through it all before the barrel turns though!!
You want to try some of that banana beer its good stuff. :twisted:

No really it is.

If you like G & T you've got it made for cutting down. Put some gin in a saucer, dip the rim of a glass in it and shake off the loose liquid, then fill glass with tonic, ice and a slice. Tastes exactly like a G&T - the smell is so distinctive, and the rim is right under your nose, it fools you.

fuctifino said:
EX_STAB said:

You know that I'm here to help, I'd have to come and help you consume whatever alcohol that have :p for the sake of your health :wink:

Latest Threads