I almost fell for this one!

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Bugsy, Jan 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now this is what I call a sophisticated scam! I was particularly impressed with the standard of English. It probably comes from living in New York and having a UK e-mail address. Has anybody else received similar?

“From: Mrs Judith Williams.
    E-mail:juwill009iams@yahoo.co.uk

Dear Friend,
    My name is Mrs Judith Williams am 75yrs old of age, i stay in new york city,
    USA.I am a good merchant, I have several industrial companies and good share in
    various banks in the world.I spend all my life on investment and coporate
    business. all the way i lost my husband and two beautiful kids in fatal
    accident that occur in November 5th 2004.

I am a very greedy woman with all cost i dont know much and care about people,
    since when I have an experience of my it difficult to sleep and give rest.
    later in the year 2004 Febuary i was sent a letter of medical check up, as my
    personal Doctor testify that i have a lung cancer, which can easily take off my
    life soon.I found it uneasy to survive myself, because a lot of investment
    cannot be run and manage by me again. I quickly call up a pastor/prophet to give
    me positive thinking on this solution, as my adviser.He minister to me to share
    my properties ,wealth, to motherless baby/orphanage homes/people that need
    money for survivor both student that need money/ business woman and man for
    their investment and for future rising. So i am writing this letter to people
    who really need help from me both student in college, to contact me urgently. so
    that i can make available preparation on that.especially women of the day, who
    are divorced by their husband, why they cannot survive the mist of feeding
    theirself.

please contact me and stop weeping. probably let me now what you
    really need the money for, and if you can still help me to distribute money to
    nearest orhanages homes near your town. now am so much with God, am now born
    again. May you be blessed, as you reach me,please to remind you, dont belongs
    to scammers or any act of fraudlent on internet. I will give more information
    to you as i await your response immediately.
    Respond to me throught this email address: juwill009iams@yahoo.co.uk

Best Regards
    Mrs Judith Williams”

I was a bit mystified by the phrase: “… why they cannot survive the mist of feeding theirself”. Any offers as to what it might mean?

2. Blimey, the congolese/nigerian fellas have took English lesons.

The mist of feeding theirselves?? What?
    It may possibly be Dogface, he is loaded after all, what with all these bets he keeps winning.

3. I know her well. Her father was an ex Nigerian minister for oil. I have re-mortgaged my house and sold my 2 kids on eBay to help her out. She needed $20,0000 to set up an offshore trust and soon I will have 10% of the $75 Mil USD that her father will be wiring to me. I have already put a down a payment on a Gin Palace at Sunseeker in Poole.

4. Bugsy - have you thought about playing along with her? You could get your story on the 419 eater hall of fame.

5. I get lots of hoax e-mails and mobile phone virus warnings which don't usually scare me because there so obviously fake, but this one is important.

Please send this to everyone on your email list.

If someone comes to your front door and says they are conducting a survey and asks you to show them your arrse, DO NOT show them your arrse.

This is a scam; they just want to see your arrse.

I wish I'd got this yesterday. I feel so stupid.

6. She is a lovely woman, who only recently retired fom the Congolese rugby union team (Tight head prop). Following her gender re-assignment she has got herself into the bother she mentions. Trust her - you know you can!!

7. I actually did think about that, R_T, but I'm afraid I haven't the wherewithal to pull it off.

Some of the stuff those 419-eaters get up to is quite incredible, especially Shiver-me-Timbers. I'd never be able to do that.

MsG

8. Lol, its obviously been through the free translaton service on the internet.

9. Some folks came round yesterday and told me to strip off and dance about with my arms up so they could check for fleas.

So you're saying it was a hoax then?

barstards -I hope they forgot to put film in their camera.

10. I'll try love, no promices though.

11. I'm not usually one for posting warnings about potential scams but, I had a close call last weekend.

I walked into B&Q and some old guy dressed in orange asked me if I "wanted decking".

Fortunately, I got the first punch in and that was the end of that.

Those less suspecting might not be so lucky. Let's be careful out there...

12. You can't be too careful! I walked into Carphone Warehouse the other week and this absolutely gorgeous biddy approached me and asked: "Looking for a new mobile, sir?"
    I replied: "Well, actually I wanna Nokia." and she slapped my face!

MsG

13. I know how you feel Monkey Tech. I fell for a similar scheme. They said they were conducting research on breast cancer... turns out they just wanted to see my tits.

14. New monitor please, just sprayed tea on mine :pissed:

15. I just received this:

Good day,
    I am Mr.Liang Ho,Managing Director of LONG ARTS AND CRAFTS IMPORT/EXPORT. CORP. China.
    We are a group of businessmen who deal on the export of arts and crafts into Canada/America, Australia and Europe.
    We are searching for a reliable and credible representative who can help us establish a medium of getting to our customers in the continents listed above, as well as making payments through you to us.We will be very much obliged if you are interested in transacting business with us.
    Subject to your willingness to be our representative, a percentage of the amount transferred by you/ your organisation will be offered as commission besides other service charges incurred.
    If you are interested, forward the following details to us via this email:
    1.Full name
    2.Age
    3.Sex
    4.Present occupation(Company And Position)
    5.Cell Phone number/fax
    6.Full contact address( not P. O. Box).
    7.Marital Status.
    Thanks In advance,
    Mr.LIANG HO.
    Managing Director,
    Long Arts and Crafts Import and Export Corp.
    China.

Do you think this is a genuine job offer?