I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe... we are approaching the year of Blade Runner.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

Blade Runner was set in the future, the year was 2019. I feel old

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Ach Du Lieber Gott Franz!

( and other Boche exclamations of distress from my childhood diet of Commando,Battle Picture Library and Victor)

1546125716612.png

He's not wrong ….dangit. You made me feel old again blast you.

Last edited:
Classic:

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
And you tell the young people of today that ..

Speaking as a never-served civvy (for context), working in/off W. Africa I've seen a few things my equally civvy landlubber mates back home wouldn't want to see.

And which I don't particularly want to see ever again...

And the missus will park the car, and it will have no dents
There shall, in that time, be rumors of things going astray, erm, and there shall be a great confusion as to where things really are, and nobody will really know where lieth those little things wi— with the sort of raffia-work base, that has an attachment. At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer, and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there, only just the night before, about eight o'clock

Shakespeare, eat your heart out.
That really was a moment where words were more powerful than reality.
Classic film.

Blade Runner was based on a book called Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? which was first published in 1968. Either they had some outrageous ambitions for technological advancement back then or else Philip K. Dick smoked some serious pot. That said I'm roughly the same age now as three of my grandparents were in 1968. What would they make of our lives now?

An old former SAS WO of my acquaintance told me that he was going to use those words in his eulogy to a friend at the funeral Service. He felt that they were appropriate.

I wasn't there, but I sincerely fekin hope that he didn't.

I feel cheated. That lying twat Raymond Baxter promised me a flying car on Tomorrow's World. And living on the Moon. And pills that taste like a roast dinner.

That last one may have been Willy Wonka, mind.

Africa. Not for cissies.
I've seen things that turned my stomach, the foulest depraved dregs of humanity cavorting and writhing in its own filth. Opening line from the film Brum runner Harrison Ford hunting down the deviant (not replicant) mindless brummies.
I don't live in Birmingham any more so all is well.

Last edited:
Having spent time in that Centre of Excellence Lagos, as well as Harcourt, I can agree with your sentiments.
Here on the southern tip things are getting interesting as well...
Yeah - Port Harcourt. When I think of it I unconsciously think of that scene in Apocalypse Now when Willard goes ashore to glean intel from the position holding the suspension bridge and it's just some surreal scene of screaming, ordnance-laden crazy. Not because PH was a warzone (although, fuck knows, there was the (frequent, after dark) odd angry shot (or sounded like it); it's just that it left that "some kind of lethal crazy" impression on me.

Made the mistake of leaving the bar on my own, without buying a whore, and had an interesting moment with the house pimp as I crossed the dark, unlit alley alongside the joint heading back to the boat.

Fuck. That. Shit.