I’m wanting to enlist Uk army but I’m 35 .

Daylehind9

Swinger
Hi im thinking about joining the army but I’m at the latest stage of been able to enlist I’m 35 just turned . On live chat they mentioned I need to be enlisted before 36.6
Months . So my question is have I left it to late am I been stupid wanting to enlist so late in life . I’m relatively fit and active and am comfortable with the fitness tests I would need to pass for phased training . But people have spoke to said let the idea slip and let it go it’s too late . What’s your honest opinions have I left it to late .
regards
Dayle

Hi im thinking about joining the army but I’m at the latest stage of been able to enlist I’m 35 just turned . On live chat they mentioned I need to be enlisted before 36.6
Months . So my question is have I left it to late am I been stupid wanting to enlist so late in life . I’m relatively fit and active and am comfortable with the fitness tests I would need to pass for phased training . But people have spoke to said let the idea slip and let it go it’s too late . What’s your honest opinions have I left it to late .
regards
Dayle
If I was 35 again I'd be camping outside the Recruitment Office on Sunday night to be first in the queue. Get it done lad.

If I was 35 again I'd be camping outside the Recruitment Office on Sunday night to be first in the queue. Get it done lad.
You are only 37 though

Bob65

War Hero
I’m at the latest stage of been able to enlist I’m 35 just turned . On live chat they mentioned I need to be enlisted before 36.6
Plenty join the reserves older than that so you haven't entirely missed the boat. If you're in good health and barring misfortune, you might live 50-60 more years yet. That's a long time to wonder "what if".

You can start your application online right now...

Daylehind9

Swinger
That’s my drama . I’m thinking if I miss the boat I’ll always think what if . My kids are older and I’ve spoke to them well 14 and 8 they both understand . That’s what stopped me over the years . Now there older but I’m older . I haven’t got issues with officers been older than me ect I’m thinking if I signed up for 4 years I could come out at around 40 still experience the military and still have some life in me left to enjoy time with family and kids . I guess what’s stopping me now is what others will think of me in training ect . The young lads and lasses in camp 18 - 20 year olds . Ect .

regards
Dayle
The idea is in your head, join before you run out of time and regret it forever. You are fit, so that won’t be an issue and your maturity will stand you well in some trades, but it will depend on your test scores to determine what will be open to you.

Consider Ammunition Technician.

That’s my drama . I’m thinking if I miss the boat I’ll always think what if . My kids are older and I’ve spoke to them well 14 and 8 they both understand . That’s what stopped me over the years . Now there older but I’m older . I haven’t got issues with officers been older than me ect I’m thinking if I signed up for 4 years I could come out at around 40 still experience the military and still have some life in me left to enjoy time with family and kids . I guess what’s stopping me now is what others will think of me in training ect . The young lads and lasses in camp 18 - 20 year olds . Ect .
Its your choice, but do you really want to be at the bottom of the pile when you are 35/36? Most of your peers will be around half your age. You will have LCpls in their early 20s passing on the shit taskings to you.
Have a look at the AR if you just want some green experience.

Daylehind9

Swinger
Totally get that also but even in my work now I have people have my age who are superior to myself . I’m mid management in my current company . But the army is a different kettle of fish I get that . But taking orders from someone half my age isn’t uncommon I guess this is one of the reasons many don’t enlist late on within the forces

Bob65

War Hero
Totally get that also but even in my work now I have people have my age who are superior to myself . I’m mid management in my current company . But the army is a different kettle of fish I get that . But taking orders from someone half my age isn’t uncommon I guess this is one of the reasons many don’t enlist late on within the forces
Just my experience but it only feels weird in civilian life because people are - naturally - always jockeying for status. Age, clothes, watch, car, house, whatever. In the military everyone dresses the same and your exact position in the pecking order is clearly displayed on your arm (or chest these days). You won't feel weird taking orders from someone younger than you with stripes or pips, and nor would you about giving orders to someone older than you if you get rank yourself. Basically what I'm saying is don't over-think this!

Not quite the same, you current bosses will normally only tell you what to do relating to your normal work. If there is a crap tasking guess what rank it falls upon to do?
Also do you really want to earn 20k when you are in your mid 30s?
Like I said, its your choice, but once you are in you'll be stuck there for 4 years. AR might be a better choice.

Buddy!

War Hero
regards
Dayle
My advice will depend dependant on what you're considering joining. As an experienced NCO, in my opinion, some cap badges and roles lean themselves more to the older applicant than others.

What job is it that you're looking to do in the Army?

Just my experience but it only feels weird in civilian life because people are - naturally - always jockeying for status. Age, clothes, watch, car, whatever. In the military everyone dresses the same and your exact position in the pecking order is clearly displayed on your arm (or chest these days). You won't feel weird taking orders from someone younger than you with stripes or pips, and nor would you about giving orders to someone older than you if you get rank yourself. Basically what I'm saying is don't over-think this!
Lots of older people joining up feel strange about it, particularly when they generally have more life experience than the bloke giving the order, especially when they suspect the orders are wrong. The older lads used to say phase 1 was a pain in the arse because they are treated like kids, even when they are in their unit, they are generally treated like the rest of the toms (i.e. you cant be trusted to do **** all)

Its your choice, but do you really want to be at the bottom of the pile when you are 35/36? Most of your peers will be around half your age. You will have LCpls in their early 20s passing on the shit taskings to you.
Have a look at the AR if you just want some green experience.
That’s why I pointed him towards ammo tech, Lance jack once trained, full screw a year later , Sgt 18 months to two years after that.

you cant be trusted to do **** all
That’s because a Pte soldier (generally) can not work unsupervised, it’s why they are private soldiers and we have lance corporals and above.

Daylehind9

Swinger
Not quite the same, you current bosses will normally only tell you what to do relating to your normal work. If there is a crap tasking guess what rank it falls upon to do?
Also do you really want to earn 20k when you are in your mid 30s?
Like I said, its your choice, but once you are in you'll be stuck there for 4 years. AR might be a better choice.
Thank you for you opinion .
My advice will depend dependant on what you're considering joining. As an experienced NCO, in my opinion, some cap badges and roles lean themselves more to the older applicant than others.

What job is it that you're looking to do in the Army?
i was looking at tank Crewman but do like sound of ammo tech also . I do understand there’s many different opinions on this Subject it’s just I thought I would get honest opinions on here than just civilian opinions of people close to me I don’t really know many in the forces to ask .

That’s because a Pte soldier (generally) can not work unsupervised, it’s why they are private soldiers and we have lance corporals and above.
Bit of a strange rule when you step back and look at it. In civvie street their equivalents are trusted to work alone (after their training). Or even in the Army when they replace a soldier with a civvie.
But its yet another thing the Army does because it always has.

Bit of a strange rule when you step back and look at it. In civvie street their equivalents are trusted to work alone (after their training). Or even in the Army when they replace a soldier with a civvie.
But its yet another thing the Army does because it always has.
It’s not civvy street, besides that I said generally. Even in civvy street inexperienced people are not left to their own devices.

Latest Threads