I’m more likely to be assassinated in than Iraq-Blair

HERE
Timesonline said:
June 22, 2007

I’m more likely to be assassinated here than in Baghdad, says Blair
Philip Webster, Political Editor

[align=justify]Tony Blair believes that he has been in greater danger of assassination on the streets of Britain than in Iraq.

In a surprise insight during a series of lengthy interviews with The Times Mr Blair, when asked why he had not worn body armour during a recent visit to Baghdad, said: “It’s far more likely I’ll shake hands with a group of kids today and somebody does something crazy than on a day in Iraq.”

Mr Blair was being interviewed in a Birmingham hotel when he made the remark. He said: “I don’t mean it’s more dangerous in Redditch than Baghdad, I mean if I am to be assassinated its more likely to be in circumstances where I am out mixing with people but my people are not anticipating danger.”

On why he had not worn body armour, while officials, press and the military had, he said: “The politicians there don’t wear it. So if they don’t why should I? It’s not a bravura thing.”

Mr Blair’s remarks appear in The Times Magazine tomorrow in an article by Robert Crampton, who has spent much of the Prime Minister’s final weeks in office with him.

As Mr Blair prepares to step down next week, residents near the £3.65 million townhouse in Connaught Square in London where he is planning to live have spoken for the first time of their anger with Downing Street and the police for failing to disclose the security implications.

Mr Blair has been described by security analysts as one of the top five living targets for a terrorist attack. His new home is just 100 yards from the heart of London’s Arab community and is close to a school and a medical centre. Scotland Yard said that the force could not comment on security matters.

In the interview Mr Blair confirmed publicly for the first time that he plans to set up a foundation to promote cooperation between the faiths, and he did not deny reports suggesting that he will convert to Roman Catholicism.

As reported in The Times yesterday he wants to work on the Middle East peace process and is being lined up as a special envoy for the Quartet group of peacemakers – the US, the EU, the UN and Russia. He also intends to continue his work on Africa and climate change. He is likely to discuss the foundation when he meets the Pope in Rome tomorrow. [/align]

What an arrogant bastard......Wherever it happened, it would probably be more trouble than he's worth...

As long as he is too scared ever to come back to the UK

Fair Do's, probably a higher proportion of the population of UK think that he is a self-serving, arrogant, ignorant, duplicit, dishonest oxygen thief that has brought a once great country to its knees than the population of Iraq/Afghanistan. Therefore there is a greater threat to him on home soil especialy as many of those with cause to hate him most are skilled with the use of weapons.

Osama will not allow this to happen as any fool can see we would be stronger without him (it).

He's dead right .... anyone for a coup???

If it ever does happen, without collateral damage -MP's etc don't count - can we have a collection for the assassin(or his family)on ARRSE?

'Tony Blair believes that he has been in greater danger of assassination on the streets of Britain than in Iraq. '

How perceptive Dear Leader is.
john
See he's learning.

Check that thought... Blair might be as much of an assclown as our president but would you seriously want your soldiers to toss all discipline and dignity out the window just to waste him?

Khyros said:
Check that thought... Blair might be as much of an assclown as our president but would you seriously want your soldiers to toss all discipline and dignity out the window just to waste him?
er yes.

Khyros said:
yep its their duty to the People.