"Hythe" sight for the SLR?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Henry_Tombs, Aug 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This should probably be in Weapons Equipment and Rations but I know the quality of posters in this forum.

The Hythe sight; I do not recall ever seeing one in my time frame 66-74, can anybody tell me the scale of issue and who had them?

Also, were they any good?

2. I had to look this up....... Up to you mentioned it I had no idea it was even call this.. We still had the SLR when i joined the TA in 1989, they seemed to be kicking about and were rather good, mind you we also had the SUIT sight for the RECCE platoon, and the huge IWS with its high pitch whine that you could hear for miles...

SAF Lithgow - Product Detail - Rear sight assy (Hythe)

3. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

The Hythe sight was, If I remember correctly, the standard ramp sight on the SLR ranged up to 800 mtrs

4. So long ago now. Wasn't one leaf for targets up to 300 mtrs and the other one for targets up to 600 mtrs?

5. HHH

HHH LE

Or low light level ?
    Something brings this to mind.

Edited to add; the rearmost of the two sights had a larger aperture, for low light , in good light you used both leafs up.
    Does this sound right ?

6. The Hythe sight had 2 leaves instead of one as the standard rear sight had. I dont know any thing about the scale of issue in the Britiash army- I was in regs from 76 to 82 and TA from 85 to 96- but I do remember seeing them but only rarely.

To be honest SAF Lithgow is a bit expensive if you are looking to buy SLR parts- your best bet is the FN forum site. You can get both FN FAL metric parts and FN SLR/inch parts there. Numrich is quite good as well. That said Hythe sites are quite expensive compared to a bog standard rear ramp site.

7. HHH

HHH LE

The standard ramp sight was only one leaf, I think the Hythe Sight had two leafs, as my post above.

8. The Hythe Sight was meant to be used with the Trilux (not sure if thats the correct word for it) glow in the dark foresight. I saw a few Trilux foresights, mainly in NI, and a fair few Double leaf rearsights. The double leaf rearsights were popular with Battalion shooting teams as the sight aperture was was smaller and more accurate.

9. As above; we had this type briefly, and I found the 'day' leaf to be much better than the standard issue. It was withdrawn from service when it proved that the heat buildup from rapid fire tended to burst the tritium vial inside the foresight! A shame, as it was a good, versatile sight, and just as easy to use as the standard one.

Edit; ISTR that the foresight had two tiny holes through its shaft; one at the top of the sight post (at the point where the thread stops), and another a couple of mm further down. Obviously this meant that you saw at least one tiny glowing dot at night, but I can't remember how one was supposed to use it in relation to the 'night' leaf though (it was about 25 yrs ago!)

10. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

I do remember getting myself in the crap when I slid a privately purchased "Single point " sight onto my SLR in 76, but the Army did eventually buy it off me

11. We were informed that the larger aperture was a battle sight for quick aiming and the smaller one was for deliberate aiming.

12. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Being a competition shooter I always had this sight, at the time it was referred to as twin leaf or twin aperture, never heard the name Hythe at the time.
    The larger aperture was for low light and ideally with the tritium foresight.
    The second aperture was smaller than the standard and offered more precision over the standard aperture.

13. I've seen some horrible sights in Hythe.Dymchurch is no better.

• Like Like x 3
  14. The Hythe night sight had two parts, the rear sight which was two interleaved apertures as described above, and a foresight which contained a trilux lamp and when rotated through 90 degrees (so it was broadside on) showed two little green dots The third (virtual) dot was your point of aim.

It sort of worked in the dark and I suppose it was a (very) minor improvement in the dark but the narrow aperture was sometimes useful (but not anywhere as good as a proper Parker Hale sight on a No 4 Which had a variable aperture

In my day it was usually used by competition shooters who made use of the narrow aperture on good range days

15. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

never saw the foresight but the rear unit ended up in the pockets of the shooting team usually, for night use it was a white line over the furniture or a dab of cylume fluid on the tip