Hypothetical Question regarding rank ranged marriages!

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by greengoblin, Feb 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I totally agree with whats been put on here before that juniors shouldn't be able to go into the sergeants mess even if their partner/wife/husband is a member. In fact why would anyone want to degrade themselves by going somewhere where they're not wanted. My question is, if this isn't the done thing is it out of the realms of possibility that for dos and other functions the member of the sergeants mess woud be allowed (If invited and voted on by mess members) into the Juniors Mess to accompany their partner?

I can see potential problems in this i.e. some Junior Ranks Mess members may think they're being spied on etc etc but if the sergeant/ssgt etc was an OK guy/girl and no one had a problem with it would it be against regs?
  2. Your argument is flawed mate - you cant have it both ways - either stick to a rigid seperation policy or become flexible both ways.

I know you probably worked hard to get in the mess but it is an unfortunate/fortunate (depending how you look at it) truth that male soldiers marry far more female soldiers these days.

Women in the Army make up 8.2% of the British Army and can fill 71% of available jobs with these figures increasing all the time. This will only serve to make this problem more prevalent.

When these issues become higher profile it will force all Messes to completely open up their doors to spouses. Most likely through some European Law promoting spousal rights. When it comes it will be much harder for Infantry/RA messes to adjust than Corps messes but thats solely down to the different ways they interact in the workplace.
  3. My wife is an officer and i am a Warrant Officer!! So what would you have done with her!!
  4. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

It boils down to a COs/RSM interpretation of them.

Friend of mine married a screw. She was a major at the time, he from a med sf background. I didn't have a problem with it as they were v definately in different CoC. Both went to each others Mess but as either a Mr or a Mrs. Noone had a problem with this.

I have another who went from WO1 to Capt with a Mrs who was still WO2. CO said she wasn't welcome to the mess and he therefore withdrew from that Mess. CO had kittens but I saw my mates side. Next CO reversed the decision.

The rank thing these days has to be dealt with reasonably. I accept there may be questions if both partners live and work in the same unit. However, as long as the non member partner takes no rank into the ranking partners mess, whatever Mess it is, there shouldn't be a problem with it.

Edited for mong fingers
  5. Sorry, to make it clear, the two people work on the same unit.
  6. Asked her to keep her hat and pips on and done her over the desk.
  7. Biscuits you utter utter barsteward, I thought it safe to read this thread whilst having a nice quite Saturday afternoon beer. Result: beer stained screen and very iffy keyboard.
  8. mmmm you really want to know!
  9. mmmm you really want to know!
  10. Biccies you swine sir! I haven't laughed so much since Jonny Wilkinson had fourteen stitches...
  11. I am pleased that the true thread has been lost again!! foolish of me to think otherwise, however i will take your advice and let you kow the result!!
  12. Why is this so complicated?

'Corporals' Mess'
    'Warrant Officers' and Sergeants' Mess'
    'Officers' Mess'

The clue is in the name people.
  13. I was once married to a member of the WRAC subsequently AGC (SPS) I was a full screw and she was a Sgt. I was not allowed into her mess because the RSM was sh@gging her, broke my heart it did :yawnstretch: Hence my EX wife, rolling around the hills of Wales now I think, the bottom line is the Army struggles with rank ranged relationships and few army marriages stand the test of time.
  14. I'd like to add a different slant to the subject....

Surely some people would welcome the 'forced separation' that different messes can bring? Let's face it, you can't talk about the wife very easily if she's drinking with you. There are also some things that go on within the confines of the mess that are best not found out by the other half

:thumright: :highfive:
  15. Have we got a result yet?