Hypothetical question Re Squatters.

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Chef, Mar 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Blame Smiffy the Ferret, but this is a question that has puzzled me on and off for ages.

Every now and then in the news there are stories of people going away for the week end, or on holiday and coming home to find squatters have moved in. All well and bad, but is there any time minimum for squatters to claim squatting rights?

E.g you go out shopping for an hour or two, and come back, locks are changed and squatters are changing the curtains. Or you are putting the bins out on the street, so are off the premises albeit by a couple of yards, door open or not locked, chummy leaps in whilst your back is turned, and again new curtains are on the agenda.

So is that the case? Round these parts it is an unlikely scenario, but the legal world is always full of expensive suprises.
  2. I don't even understand how they get away with occupying a property thats clearly furnished and lived in by an existing resident.
  3. There was the woman who had gone to a night at the theatre who had her house squatted & trashed. This law seriously needs changing!
  4. As long as they don't cause damage gaining entry they can be in and the locks changed by the time you've put the cat out.
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I had a squatter problem, in fact it was an illegal sublet that I waited for them to be at work and emptied the place changing the locks. Police were called but agreed it was a civil matter and they couldnt prove they actually lived there so were out of luck. I had the place rented next day!
  6. I think the law differs depending on whether you occupy your premises when the squatters move in. i.e in your hypothetical scenario of popping out (or going away for a few days) and returning to find squatters in residence you could knock down your own door in order to secure entry to evict them. However if it's an empty property that you own you could be committing the offence of using violence to secure entry if you kick down the door even though you own the property.

Happy to be corrected by someone though.
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

You need to kick the door in and geet in calling the plod at the same time. Make it look like they broke in whilst you were in there and they are done for breaking and entering.
    Once the plod are aware you have squatters you break the law if you evict them without going through the courts. sad but do them over then call the plod. Current policy means the householder is the victim!
  8. IIRC they could only claim squatter's rights if the building wasn't occupied and they hadn't forced entry, but I'm certainly no expert.
  9. in Scotland its a bit different, you can using reasonable force,throw the gits out property occupied or not
    • Like Like x 1
  10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Squatters dont actually have rights, they are seen as tenants without an agreement in the law which is why you have to go to court to get them out in the same way you do with a tenant that wont pay the rent!
    Your word against theirs in court so Police cant intervene unless you force an entry and claim to have been inside when they broke in!
    I know a bloke that evicts people for a small considerationn and he taught me a few tricks. If you work from home then its a business premises and squatters are then clearly breaking and entering. You call the police and dont ever mention the squatter word, just say you have burglars on your premises!
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

They also dont have tresspass laws either, a strange place!
  12. My mate bought an old Police Station to turn into 4 flats, they were in within the week (which is suprising as the building had been unoccupied for years), usual toing and froing with legals until he had them chased out by a few hammer wielding idiots, no one got a *******, plod werent particularly arsed so job done. Granted others arent so lucky and lose a lot of money, strikes me as odd that you can now comfortably get away with cleaving the head open of a burglar in your house but you cant stick it all over some post grad honking ***** cooking mung bean suprise on the ornately tiled deck of your rightful property. Whether you are residing in or not.
  13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

You can just dont get caught!
  14. I'm not shy, although worse case scenario for me is some student pisses up or sniffs his or her rent money up their snotter then runs rings around me with excuse laden phone calls and emails for a week until his or her Mum and Dad end up stumping up.
  15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

If its some trustafarian then lock them in the cellar and start using their cash card!
    • Like Like x 1