Hypnotherapy. Is it a con?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Legs, Jan 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Serious question. Does hypnotherapy work (for smoking cessation, dieting etc) or is it all a bit of a con? Has anyone got any experience of it? I'm not interested in Stage Hypnosis or any of that "look into my eyes" crap, but the alternative therapy type.

2. Hypnotherapy will never work unless you are willing to suspend disbelief, and think it will work.

Basically, if you believe it will work it will; if you don't it wont. In other words, ninety percent of the hypnotism is done by your own mind, and not the person calling themselves a hypnotherapist.

3. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

my mate gave up smoking on it, 5 years on still doesnt smoke the sanctimonious bastard.

• Like Like x 1
  4. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

You won't be able to do anything you don't want to so, whilst acknowledging that this isn't the NAAFI, there isn't much point in training to be one to wreak havoc through the local lady population.

On a more serious note, I looked into this for all sorts of things, some of which were highly successful. I was the biggest sceptic but it kept my father off the ciggies for 20 years and has helped me with some great relaxation techniques.

5. Sorry, but that is bollocks. Clinical hypnotherapy has been shown to be an effective form of treatment for many conditions. There has to be a certain amount of cooperation from the person being treated so it's not a case of it will only work if you believe in it, but more a case of it won't work if you are highly sceptical. As with all things, there are some conditions for which it is more effective than others, and there are some practitioners who are better than others.

• Like Like x 1
  6. It works but it's not a cure all. Basically you have to continue on with the good habits learned during hypnotherapy either from a registered hypnotherapist or via a cd that you play NOT WHILST DRIVING THE CAR. It's not, 'you are getting very sleepy' stuff of movies or anything to do with the hypnotherapist swinging a watch in front of your face either.

7. Yes, it works for most people but I believe that around 10% can't be hypnotised.

It made me quit smoking. During one of the sessions I was thinking I'm not really under,and later told the Hypno. During the next session the Hypno told me I wouldn't be able to open my eyes - and I couldn't. It was very bizarre. Anyway, yes, it works.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I tried hypnotherapy having failed miserably to quit smoking. The way it was explained to me by the practitioner is that it in someway re-programmes your sub-concious. Although fully awake throughout I was surprised to learn at the end of the session that it had lasted an hour .. I would have sworn ten minutes at the most. Interestingly she told me a story about a man that worked in a rubber factory and told me that at any time I picked up a packet of ciggerettes or a single ciggerette I would get an overwhelming taste of burnt rubber in my mouth and I really did .. it was a spooky thing. She offered sessions for free after the first one if it was not succesful .. that's how confident she was. I've stopped for 15 years now and it was the best forty quid I've ever spent. I would recommend it wholeheartedly .. you still require some willpower but it more than takes the edge off. By the way I was on 40 a day at the time.

9. [​IMG]

Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, don't look around the eyes, look into my eyes, snap!

That will be seventy quid!

10. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Hypnosis as a relaxation technique is a good way to aid with Dental anxiety. However it does take a far bit of time but does work if done properly which means choosing the right subjects, ie those that actually want treatment as it can not make you do something you don't want to.

11. I've always wanted to try this but am a little bit apprehensive about being put under and not coming back out/something going wrong!

Also, how do you know the hypno guy is the real deal and not just some smooth talking con artist? (What quals/certificates should i look out for etc)

12. Some therapists use Ericksonian hypnosis, whci is more like a trance like state. Solution focused therapy can help, and some therapist believe that is a form of mild hypnotism.
    it is part linguistic programming and part trance and has a success rate of around 60%

13. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

My half day course gave me a very snazzy looking certificate!

But more seriously, it depends what reason you're getting hypnotherapy for.

I have done various courses but would only offer it as part of dental treatment as that is what my training was for and would be part af an NHS course of treatment.

Would hope that anything offered via NHS was legit.

14. Unfortunately it's hard to know whether you have got a legit practitioner. Hopefully they will be registered with whatever body registers hypnotheraipists. So, you could ask what their background is and try to check out their credentials prior to making an appointment.

I've been to Paul McKenna's one day seminar hypnotherapy for weight loss in London. It was about £200 and very good/very interesting. Forget all the stage entertainment. This is clinical hypnotherapy. Anyway, towards the end of the seminar he hypnotised a girl, (ok on the stage) to be rid of her addiction to chocolate. She said she hated tomatoes and he hypnotised her to understand that chocolate, from now on, would be as appealing to her as tomatoes. By the time he was finished she was just about gagging because he was so good at getting her to imagine it ! It wasn't a conjouring trick and she wasn't in on it. The seminar was also about self perception and putting an end to negative self talk. He also explained the hunger score/hunger scale.

I listen to his weight loss cd regularly, and yes, it works. It's not a magic trick though. Hypnotherapy assists a person to change their behaviours. For weight loss this means only eating when you are hungry and listening to the signal from your stomach to let you know you are getting full. There's other advice too.

Apparently not everyone can be hypnotised. In not so many words a one to one hypnotherapist told me you can't hypnotise someone who is to stupid to concentrate and you can't hypnotise someone against their will.