Hyphens in ranks

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by greylin, Apr 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been trying to locate the definitive source for the correct spelling of ranks in the army - I specifically need to have it confirmed that hyphens are no longer used in ranks such as Lieutenant Colonel and Lance Corporal. I've perused JSP 101 and searched army.mod.uk and armynet.mod.uk but can't find the document I need.

I'm not in the army but am a civilian who has worked with the army for decades. I'm pretty sure I remember all the hyphens being dropped in the late 70s or early 80s. I'd be very grateful if somebody could confirm this and point me to the source I need (preferably online). Thank you!
  2. I don't know about Lt Col but Lance Corporal was explained too me many moons ago as when written as L/Cpl, it was acting, when written LCpl it was substantive. Could be wrong, normally am, not seen the hyphen being used in the OR context though. Hope this helps.
  3. / = forward slash
    - = hyphen
    pedantic mode off.
  4. That's a separate issue, but an interesting one - as I understand it, all uses of forward slashes (or "obliques") in ranks are now also defunct.

So hyphens and/or obliques in ranks - right or wrong? Anyone got any official proof?
  5. never heard of that. thought it was just down to personal preference! :)
  6. Since when has anything in the Army been down to personal preference? ;P

Come on all you spotters out there. Someone must know. I feel sure it's Major General rather than Major-General and SSgt rather than S/Sgt but I need PROOF!
  7. qreylin, can't believe you joined arrse just to find this out. shame on you.

arrse is for goatshagging, wife-mocking and other forms of hilarity. not sensible things.

i hope you buck your ideas up.
  8. You'd like to know, though wouldn't you. Go on, admit it ... I can tell from your hyphen ...
  9. Pedantic Mong on!

Really, Fascinating! Thought I might add something that may help his research, you however contibuted nothing, well done you!!

Pedantic Mong off
  10. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Hyphons are not used in UK rank abbreviation. You probably won't even find anything relating to them. I haven't seen or used them used in my time in (nearly two decades - enough to know, I'd hope) and folk don't even refer to their use anymore.

The doc to reference is in the EBB and is found at

Doctrine/Land handbooks/Acronyms, Abbreviations, Glossary of Terms and Symbology. This, the gospel, is compliant with NATO speak but includes UK rank abbreviations it also.

The only time I have seen hyphons used when refering to the rank is in NATO speak as a grade equivalent and then only in written documentation to give an international comparative when setting a grade for a job.

Pte = OR-1
    RSM = OR-9
    2Lt = OF-1
    Lt Col = OF-5
    Brig = OF-7

The Yanks, of course, do things a little differently, dropping the F but keeping the hyphon.

Hope this helps

Edited to add that I know I'm really sad....I just like doctrine. Off to put myself out of my misery :D

Edited once for mong finger spelling
  11. Is it not proof enough that serving soldiers are giving you the answers?

WO2(no hyphen) Badger_Heed
  12. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Ah! but remember when a WO2 was a WOII.
  13. I'm very grateful for the views of serving soldiers but I need the primary source.
  14. Never mind, it was just something light-hearted about the way you (correctly) hyphenated wife-mocking.