Hyperoptic - Anyone use them? Getting the 1gb service...

With the fact I'm moving to an area which Virgin Media does not cover and the fact their customer service is atrocious to say the least the only viable high speed option availabl is from some one never heard from - Hyperoptic.

Package prices available on site

Being a speed freak who downloads alot all the time and uses Plex Media server around the house and with my TV being a Smart TV which can stream HD content from my media library on my laptop the 1gb option could be the best option.

After I realised that I was paying excessively for the ancient 150mbs service up until now for £47 pound did call up Virgin and having given notice i was due to leave they decided to reduce my bill to £39 AND put me on their 350mb service, no problemo? However, was NOT told over the phone this would be a new contract (minimum 12 months, cancellation fee etc), so this could be a legal issue, luckily for at the point of calling up to give my notice of 30 days as usually assumed was informed there and than the £39 for 350mb wasn't an icing on the cake - it was simply a 350mb connection at a reduced price for a year.

Anyway, have a feeling this could be another issue, but now having given notice to VM to disconnect all services as of May 19th I've noticed the day after my broadband speed has crawled to a trickle - it's defo NOT high speed, and attempting to call Customer Service is a dead end as "due to Corona Virus" the centres are closed.

So, any one using Hyperoptic?

My plus points are -
Quite generously priced packages on website, far better value than Virgin, the 1gb which advertises an average speed of 900mbps is £47

Bad points -
I've never heard of them

The bigger question: What's the latency like?

That's what irritates me, everyone is yelling how many MBPS they can guarantee... Yeah after a certain point its all irrelevant, I'm more interested in the ping.

D

Deleted 164106

With the fact I'm moving to an area which Virgin Media does not cover and the fact their customer service is atrocious to say the least the only viable high speed option availabl is from some one never heard from - Hyperoptic.

Package prices available on site

Being a speed freak who downloads alot all the time and uses Plex Media server around the house and with my TV being a Smart TV which can stream HD content from my media library on my laptop the 1gb option could be the best option.

After I realised that I was paying excessively for the ancient 150mbs service up until now for £47 pound did call up Virgin and having given notice i was due to leave they decided to reduce my bill to £39 AND put me on their 350mb service, no problemo? However, was NOT told over the phone this would be a new contract (minimum 12 months, cancellation fee etc), so this could be a legal issue, luckily for at the point of calling up to give my notice of 30 days as usually assumed was informed there and than the £39 for 350mb wasn't an icing on the cake - it was simply a 350mb connection at a reduced price for a year.

Anyway, have a feeling this could be another issue, but now having given notice to VM to disconnect all services as of May 19th I've noticed the day after my broadband speed has crawled to a trickle - it's defo NOT high speed, and attempting to call Customer Service is a dead end as "due to Corona Virus" the centres are closed.

So, any one using Hyperoptic?

My plus points are -
Quite generously priced packages on website, far better value than Virgin, the 1gb which advertises an average speed of 900mbps is £47

Bad points -
I've never heard of them
I used them a couple of years ago when they were still new-ish for a flat I had in London. They were really, really good - I recommend.

Although I didn't use the internet as much as you say you do, downloading files was very rapid, and I cannot ever remember losing my connection.

I can't really comment on how their customer service was, as I never had to use them beyond the original set-up. They were originally doing a 'if a friend refers you you can split £50' but I don't know if that's still active.

The bigger question: What's the latency like?

That's what irritates me, everyone is yelling how many MBPS they can guarantee... Yeah after a certain point its all irrelevant, I'm more interested in the ping.
Their was no way in hell I was getting 10mbs downloads when downloading torrents from seeders and even large ZIP files from reliable servers let alone 35mb on a 350mbps connection, max in the region of 9mb when downloading froms servers direct, these being zip files with high res.

Donny

ADC
I had the 100Mb service for a couple of years, then moved on to the 1Gb product for a further 3 years till I moved out of a flat and back into my own house (where, very sadly, Hyperoptic isn’t available). The speed was blistering and latency was excellent as you’d expect from a direct network connection. Price seemed reasonable and customer service was pretty much the best I’ve seen from a broadband provider.

I’d still be using them if I could, and recommend them without reservation.

Donny

ADC
I had the 100Mb service for a couple of years, then moved on to the 1Gb product for a further 3 years till I moved out of a flat and back into my own house (where, very sadly, Hyperoptic isn’t available). The speed was blistering and latency was excellent as you’d expect from a direct network connection. Price seemed reasonable and customer service was pretty much the best I’ve seen from a broadband provider.

I’d still be using them if I could, and recommend them without reservation.
To add to this, here’s a screenshot of a Speedtest 3 years ago when I was playing with my WiFi to improve the speed in the furthest reaches of the flat. The limit on the bandwidth is the WiFi - the speed on an Ethernet connection out of the router is basically a gig up and down but WiFi is obviously slower. Nevertheless the speed and latency are still the best I’ve ever had at home.

BDD4079D-2255-42C5-AFA2-62684D262ABD.jpeg

My plus points are -
Your quoted price of £47 is for the first 12 months of broadband & phone. At the end of the 12 months the price jumps to £63 (£45/£ 60 without phone)

As an aside...
Hyperoptic’s add on ‘Anytime UK Plan' calls package is interestingly described as “Free daytime UK landline calls” for £3 per month. I had a conversation with another broadband provider about their advertising of free calls for £x per month and they more or less told me to **** off and mind my own business.

The ASA took the opposite view and as a result, the advertising was changed to ‘unlimited calls' for £x per month.

I may just mention it to Hyperoptic. Boredom borne of inactivity has taken hold.

Last edited:
D

Deleted 164106

Hyperoptic are also on cashback sites like Quidco or TopCashback - you'll get £50 or so back off them.

... and it's not available in my postcode yet... arrse

Got it installed today along with my singing and dancing fancy router, averaged out 500mbps upload and download, and their customer service is 24/7.

Happy with the test I guess!

Bye bye Virgin Media

Latest Threads