Hybrid units - good or bad?

My unit is getting the chop and elements are been retained to form a sub-unit.
The establishment has not yet been formally disseminated the the rumour mill (very well informed) has begun to fire up. We are getting more PID's but we have lost a number as well. Our attached arms seem to be getting shafted. Demotions, posting out etc all seem to be the order of the day.

I think those who make these decisions make the wrong ones. When I joined the TA/ AR many moons ago I joined the unit I wished to serve in. I made friends and these became an extended family. Expecting people.to rotate or post out of AR units is against the spirit of the organisation. Imposing demotion on people or forcing them to post out to keep their rank may force good people to leave. One army may have its virtues but some things cannot be changed overnight. People now have a glass ceiling on them which stops career progression for those who wish to stay with a unit they may have served years with.

Anyone else experienced this yet?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Not yet, although we are swapping companys to ensure A Golden Thread.
TA/AR in Scotland is rather geographically interesting.

I can imagine. If all your chefs get chinned off to Bd, it will be interesting when you need one on a weekend. And I expect our newly integrated regular brothers won't be too happy to cover it either.
REME will be an "open the box of VM's" situation where you need to bid for one 6 month in advance. Attached CMT's are capped to LCpl. That's class 3 rank range. As far as I know a Cl 3 can barely apply a stick plaster. Fun and games on range days eh!

police5009

Clanker
My unit is getting the chop and elements are been retained to form a sub-unit.
The establishment has not yet been formally disseminated the the rumour mill (very well informed) has begun to fire up. We are getting more PID's but we have lost a number as well. Our attached arms seem to be getting shafted. Demotions, posting out etc all seem to be the order of the day.

I think those who make these decisions make the wrong ones. When I joined the TA/ AR many moons ago I joined the unit I wished to serve in. I made friends and these became an extended family. Expecting people.to rotate or post out of AR units is against the spirit of the organisation. them to post out to keep their rank may force good people to leave. One army may have its virtues but some things cannot be changed overnight. People now have a glass ceiling on them which stops career progression for those who wish to stay with a unit they may have served years with.

Anyone else experienced this yet?

Think that's how the Army operates mate. And for the better I think.
If more people posted to HQ or the ATU's it wouldn't be a bad think in my books, both for the recruits and the soldiers.

Currently there are no AR PIDs in reg HQ sub units with the Regt we are inter grating with. That wouldn't be such a bad thing.

I don't know about hybrid units, but rank being capped and demotions.
I've come across similar things in my unit which is being disbanded, the writing was on the wall so the Regt pulled out all the stops to get the SNCO promotions through but didn't do the same for the JNCOs.

As for demotions a number of people have made the move to new units but with big drops in rank, seen one SSgt drop to LCpl, the JNCOs have been dropped to Pte. Plus a number of bods have had their transfers turned down.

Blyth_spirit

War Hero
Think that's how the Army operates mate. And for the better I think.
If more people posted to HQ or the ATU's it wouldn't be a bad think in my books, both for the recruits and the soldiers.
Agreed, that is how the regular army has operated for some time. I also fully see the benefit in progressing one's career and avoiding stagnation within units. Be careful, however, about applying a successful proposition from one organisation onto another, very different, one without fully understanding the implications.

Reservists having to transfer to units further away from their home and work will have to give more of their own time, unpaid, travelling to and from training. In many cases this will be beyond the range and budget of the new unit to pay for HTD travel so expecting the soldier to contribute out of their own pocket.

ATUs and HQs are, agreed, good postings for career progression. But ATUs require a high level of attendance from their instructors, beyond that required by most units. Most HQs tend to work Mon-Fri, having tumbleweed down the corridor on evenings and weekends. While some reservists can commit to these requirements, they are in the minority.

There was always going to be some 'blood on the carpet' during the implementation of FR20. But unfortunately the implications don't seem to have been understood by the regular and FTRS planners and little has been done to try and retain the skills and commitment of those worst affected by the reorganisation, at exactly the time when retaining them would be a pretty good idea.

Practically all our army units are now "hybrid" and have been for a number of months.

The results seem to depend on the unit.

When 6 Royal Anglian got binned in the 90's the offer was put out for them to join the Royal Signals unit that was taking their place. The vast majority just chinned it off as they'd no interest in going from the infantry to tent errecting Ptarmigan operators! So I can't say I'm suprised about the complainants and guys leaving this time around.

polar

LE
When 6 Royal Anglian got binned in the 90's the offer was put out for them to join the Royal Signals unit that was taking their place. The vast majority just chinned it off as they'd no interest in going from the infantry to tent errecting Ptarmigan operators! So I can't say I'm suprised about the complainants and guys leaving this time around.
None being in your angle iron area would have been another issue.

I did transfer to sigs and drop rank. Didn't take long to regain it though.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)lopkpklpnjlnbuk

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
I jumped ship a good few years ago from Infantry to REME - well, Recy Mech anyway - along with 25+ of my oppos. We were treated very well, got the required training within the two years, and no-one lost rank. Most of us were mobilised in our new role the following year, so it can and does work if you put the effort in.

That said, an awful lot of the Unit did bin it, not wanting to travel 35 miles to the 'new' location.

. Most HQs tend to work Mon-Fri, having tumbleweed down the corridor on evenings and weekends. While some reservists can commit to these requirements, they are in the minority.
Out of interest, if you aren't in position to attend said HQ Monday-Friday are you accommodated / other arrangements made?

D Coy were in Coldhams Lane, where the new sigs unit was based so it wasn't like there was any change in location. They just really had no interest in the Royal Signals.
IIRC, it didn't start off too badly and the D Coy 2IC became the OC Sqn in fairly short order; the problem was that it was only ever a short-term measure. 36 Sig Regt had Euromux, not Ptarmigan, and it was rapidly heading out of the door even way back when in 1999...

The_Duke

LE
Out of interest, if you aren't in position to attend said HQ Monday-Friday are you accommodated / other arrangements made?
That tends to be resolved in the longer term by making "must attend x number of days during the working week per month" part of the job spec. Thus, the problem goes away by only having reserve officers in HQs who can match the HQ timings, rather than identifying the best candidate and shifting a few meetings or using high tech solutions such as dialling in.

Or cancelling to meeting about a meeting to satisfy a 1* working board reporting to a 3* steering group?

I asked to be attached to the training / ops team of my full time unit and got a nah not wanted. So why would any unit want reservists during their week? ???

It depends on what your qualifications are and what's going on. Because training doesn't have to be so compressed like it is in the reserve, there aren't MATTs, ranges etc running every week therefore there's no real requirement for additional bods in the training wing.

Attached CMT's are capped to LCpl. That's class 3 rank range. As far as I know a Cl 3 can barely apply a stick plaster. Fun and games on range days eh!

That's funny, our medic is on his Paramedics course at Univ and he's been advised by the AMC that once fully qualified, he's prompted straight away, possibly up to 3 stripes.........

Latest Threads