HV Cable depth regs?

You won't get a bill, stop your worrying

They can and do charge people for this sort of thing though, my only defence, it seems, is that it was dangerously installed in the first place.

I should have mentioned that I did actually talk to the guy that came out to assess it before i left on Saturday and his first question was "did you cat the area before you started digging"

I laughed and said no I dont have 3 grand cat, i should not have to when doing a bit of light gardening and that most people would not know what a cat even is.

anglo

LE
They can and do charge people for this sort of thing though, my only defence, it seems, is that it was dangerously installed in the first place.

I should have mentioned that I did actually talk to the guy that came out to assess it before i left on Saturday and his first question was "did you cat the area before you started digging"

I laughed and said no I dont have 3 grand cat, i should not have to when doing a bit of light gardening and that most people would not know what a cat even is.
A standing charge covers the costs your energy supplier incurs to get gas and electricity to you. These costs include: using and maintaining the energy networks, wires and pipes that carry gas and electricity across the country to your home.

The only thing you pay for is anything on the house side of your consumer unit,
and don't let anybody tell you different
Water, you pay for anything the house side of the water meter
Gas, the house side of the gas meter

A standing charge covers the costs your energy supplier incurs to get gas and electricity to you. These costs include: using and maintaining the energy networks, wires and pipes that carry gas and electricity across the country to your home.

The only thing you pay for is anything on the house side of your consumer unit,
and don't let anybody tell you different
Water, you pay for anything the house side of the water meter
Gas, the house side of the gas meter
My energy supplier do not own that cable. They have nothing to do with it and have not even been involved.

anglo

LE
My energy supplier do not own that cable. They have nothing to do with it and have not even been involved.
All the energy suppliers pay a distribution network company, {same as openreach
maintains all Internet service providers networks}
Example,
Western Power Distribution is the company responsible for electricity distribution in the Midlands, South West and Wales. Our business serves over 7.9 million customers and we employ over 6,500 members of staff to ensure the highest quality of service.
If I have a problem I inform my supplier, and they get the above company to fix the fault
or a company contacted by them

Standing charge pays for it,

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'm going to say it

Explosives

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I hire one in when doing any digging work
paid for itself a few times when cables and pipes turned up where the householders said they were not
otherwise we hand dig very carefully, but even then you can hit things

You defence is: you were doing a little gardening during lockdown and you hit a power cable that had inadequate protection. You were not doing any construction work or landscaping; neither were you being paid to dig someone else's garden. Hence no need for maps or a CAT.

If the DNO insists that you pay do your best to avoid court, instead use 'social media', local press, or local BBC news.

Remember for the purposes of this exercise you are not an ex-sapper you are a 'veteran' and probably suffering from PTSD after almost being killed by a badly placed cable.

An just to keep this thread light; don't forget to put on your medals, and hold the cable up in front of you when you get your compo face picture taken :p

You defence is: you were doing a little gardening during lockdown and you hit a power cable that had inadequate protection. You were not doing any construction work or landscaping; neither were you being paid to dig someone else's garden. Hence no need for maps or a CAT.

If the DNO insists that you pay do your best to avoid court, instead use 'social media', local press, or local BBC news.

Remember for the purposes of this exercise you are not an ex-sapper you are a 'veteran' and probably suffering from PTSD after almost being killed by a badly placed cable.

An just to keep this thread light; don't forget to put on your medals, and hold the cable up in front of you when you get your compo face picture taken :p
All of the above, except, DO NOT touch or move the new joint box or cable, as that can be seen as tampering. Leave well alone.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer

claim of your house insurance
thats what its there for

All the energy suppliers pay a distribution network company, {same as openreach
maintains all Internet service providers networks}
Example,
Western Power Distribution is the company responsible for electricity distribution in the Midlands, South West and Wales. Our business serves over 7.9 million customers and we employ over 6,500 members of staff to ensure the highest quality of service.
If I have a problem I inform my supplier, and they get the above company to fix the fault
or a company contacted by them

Standing charge pays for it,

Its southern scottish or something like that around here. Im glad i made this thread because i was pretty tempted to just leave it and the replies made me reconsider.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I hire one in when doing any digging work
paid for itself a few times when cables and pipes turned up where the householders said they were not
otherwise we hand dig very carefully, but even then you can hit things

I'd like to have the garden scanned by GPR or similar, not just for cables and pipes, as two neighbours (one to the side of us, one backing onto our garden) both had driveways put in years ago. Both found voids from old buildings, possibly from the manor house that used to be on the site. Allegedly one found elements of the cellars.

What will deffo help, find a dead cat(no not a C.A.T)and chuck it in the hole and swear blind it's your(sob sob)beloved companion that was with you when you hit the cable.

I'd like to have the garden scanned by GPR or similar, not just for cables and pipes, as two neighbours (one to the side of us, one backing onto our garden) both had driveways put in years ago. Both found voids from old buildings, possibly from the manor house that used to be on the site. Allegedly one found elements of the cellars.
Just make sure you remove any bodies to a safe location before the scan. We wouldn't want any awkward questions now would we :razz:

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Just make sure you remove any bodies to a safe location before the scan. We wouldn't want any awkward questions now would we :razz:

if I had any bodies to bury (which I never have) then I wouldn't bury them on my own property.
I certainly wouldn't know that places that 'gasify' waste could make a body disappear so even a team made up of Sherlock Holmes, Poirot, Columbo and Kojak would never find the evidence.

Just a thought, as you mention the possibility of an old manor house on the site have you thought of contacting one of those television archaeology programmes that seem so popular at the moment.*

If you are lucky you might get your garden scanned and meet someone interesting such as the sexy goth-chick Dr Janina Ramirez. Of course you could also end up with Tony Robinson in your garden but that is a small price to pay for a free dig :)

*Note: my television is quite old so I might be seeing lots of repeats and archaeology isn't popular at all.