Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HV Cable depth regs?

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
How so??? It wasn't set at the pre determined depth, so how can he be at fault???
About 4 years ago, I was digging out a front garden (mini digger) for a 'soakaway,' I hit a gas pipe at 200mm. There was no warning, nothing, (usually, I take it down to 4 or 5 hundred and then go really steady with another bod watching closely, I'll then hit marker tape and then pea gravel.) We stopped work, called the gas people and waited. About 30 minutes later a guy showed up in his van, had a look, typed some stuff into his laptop and phoned for a crew. Thirty minutes after that, two blokes rocked up, an older chap and an apprentice. The first guy stayed in his van whilst the other two repaired the broken pipe. It took them about 20 minutes which I thought was pretty impressive.

I was told that I (the company) would have to pay, despite protesting loudly that it was too shallow and had no warning features. The bill arrived. £300 for the laptop guy, (That was outrageous) £200 for the older repair guy and £100 for the younger one (that was marked on the bill as an apprentice.) VAT was added to give a total of £720. The boss was livid and protested again, formally in writing and was fobbed off. It wasn't really enough to warrant an insurance claim so he paid it.

It didn't seem right or fair at the time, and it doesn't now, but there you go.

Do not do the above. Under any circumstances.
I may not be the brightest of people (well, i almost was very bright indeed at the split second of hitting the cable) but i've done enough construction work in the army to know the basics. I did cover it with a bit of wood and cover it back up with packed clay soil to protect it from further damage until i decide what to do about it which is probably going to be to report it to somebody. It may not be the electric company first though. I may report it to the "unsafe infrastructure" department at the council or something along those lines first and get the story straight before telling the electricity company.

Dunno yet.

Just a thought, I’d be surprised if the electricity board would lay a cable that shallow, that really is cowboy levels of work.

Could be a DIY job or A. Pikey and Sons Electrical Bodgeneers.

Are you sure a previous occupant hasn’t laid it / had it laid for some reason?

Garden lights? Electric gate? Summer house etc?
A 3-phase summer house?

Just a thought, I’d be surprised if the electricity board would lay a cable that shallow, that really is cowboy levels of work.

Could be a DIY job or A. Pikey and Sons Electrical Bodgeneers.

Are you sure a previous occupant hasn’t laid it / had it laid for some reason?

Garden lights? Electric gate? Summer house etc?

I have no idea how it got there. There is a pole in the woods on the other side of my garden fence that I expect it leads to. That pole has a few overhead cables feeding some other houses nearby.

The site my house is on had a previous building on it that was knocked down and then a new one built on top. That cable most likely got put in then and there.

I'm not going to do anything about it until next week. I have no idea who i would even call really, i changed energy supplier to EON from the previous person who lived here, i think they were paying southern electric but how do i find out who owns the cable?

Polyester

War Hero
I may not be the brightest of people (well, i almost was very bright indeed at the split second of hitting the cable) but i've done enough construction work in the army to know the basics. I did cover it with a bit of wood and cover it back up with packed clay soil to protect it from further damage until i decide what to do about it which is probably going to be to report it to somebody. It may not be the electric company first though. I may report it to the "unsafe infrastructure" department at the council or something along those lines first and get the story straight before telling the electricity company.

Dunno yet.
Fair enough. I can understand your reluctance.

I know this though; Electrical company’s are terrified of hurting people (As they should be). Especially if it’s beyond doubt that they failed in their lawful duties either by act or omission. They would literally sell their own kids to not attract the attention of the HSE due to an incident that was caused because their kit was incorrectly fitted.

But it’s up to you, I hope you get something sorted soon.

Dunno yet.
If it's yours (your side of meter) you can isolate and joint , decent Leccy wholesaler will have a jointing kit not much above a tenner.
If it's theirs ( Utility Co.)
MAKE AN ANGRY PHONECALL....

( They could've killed you.......)
Either way it'll cost you bugger all.

Eta.
Beaten to it by @Polyester.

Polyester

War Hero
I have no idea how it got there. There is a pole in the woods on the other side of my garden fence that I expect it leads to. That pole has a few overhead cables feeding some other houses nearby.

The site my house is on had a previous building on it that was knocked down and then a new one built on top. That cable most likely got put in then and there.

I'm not going to do anything about it until next week. I have no idea who i would even call really, i changed energy supplier to EON from the previous person who lived here, i think they were paying southern electric but how do i find out who owns the cable?
Go to the nearest pole. There will be various notices on it. There might even be a number to ring on it. If not the substation for your street definitely will have the phone number of the DNO on the door or gate.

E2A; Who’s my network operator?

Go to the nearest pole. There will be various notices on it. There might even be a number to ring on it. If not the substation for your street definitely will have the phone number of the DNO on the door or gate.
Your bill will have the supplier stated on it somewhere ( not EON)

And a number to contact in exactly these circumstances.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Who is the power network operator where you are?

Ours is Electricity North West. We’ve got an electricity pylon in one of our fields that’s about to fall in to a river.

I just phoned ENW and they were on the case with it straight away.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
if you didn't like my not-at-all-serious answer of tape it you'll not like my usual of 'fire and/or explosives"

Polyester

War Hero
if you didn't like my not-at-all-serious answer of tape it you'll not like my usual of 'fire and/or explosives"
Fire is nature’s way of cleansing all problems. It’s a great suggestion.

If it's not an 'internal' supply cable, you've no worries ringing up leccy board and playing merry f*ck.

It's 'their' supply to your meter, it's their problem.
They'll be bloody quick onto it.
I'd be minded to wait till morning though, they'll rig a temp supply/ genny if you need it.

As @Polyester says, the Leccy lads are decent blokes to deal with.

Up here (NW) anyways.

Totally opposite to BT, unfortunately we've have to deal with both over sub surface networks.
( Nothing is ever where the plans 'say' they are)
OK once i find out who to phone i'll ring them

Few years back the missus was doing a bit of amateur lumberjacking close to the pole line that runs across our property. Had the tree roped to assist in dropping it correctly.
Crash Flash Bang Wallop. Yorkshire electricity send out a multi vehicle repair team. Missus can see her pocket money being confiscated.

Work foreman admiring the multiple axe and saw marks on the tree says. Not unusual for a "rotten" tree to drop on a line. Pocket money saved!!!!!

They then did a temporary repair,, cable not at a full tension. Next day confronted by an owl that had landed on the botton cable and touched the next up. Fried into position.

The cables feed directly at high level into the house and shortly I have to replace a cast iron gutter that runs just over them. I think I might get some help with that one.

Just asked missus if she took any photos of the tree/power line confrontation that I could use to illustrate this piece.

Told to ****off, touchy or what?

Phoned them on saturday morning, went away for the weekend (working) came back on Sunday afternoon and found this.

There was a scrap of paper nailed to the tree with words to the effect of "will talk to boss about getting it put in deeper"

No mention of fines or payments or anything else yet.

cable_joint.jpg

Latest Threads