HV Cable depth regs?

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'm not sure about the Ravers. It's possible I suppose but I have seen ropey jobs carried out by so called professional DNOs. Particularly with older cable excavations.

I'll grant you it does look odd though.

one of our course delegates claimed that a few years back he worked for a company that suddenly found the factory had no electricity, apparently they'd been wired into the mains (possibly from the street lights) bypassing the meter, it was only the power to the office that was being paid for. The council were unhappy apparently.

I expect the cabling for that wasn't done properly

The reason I mention it is that it looks very similar to the cable I laid for the lights in my decking, while hungover to **** one day.

How big is your decking if you need 415v powerline to it?

ACAB

LE
Read back through the thread. I have been clear from the start that he is not at fault for hitting the cable.

Covering it up is a different matter.
???

Worse than not burying it to the correct depth???

Your having a giraffe my son.

anglo

LE
I was digging a trench in the garden earlier with pick and shovel. We are planting a hedge soon and it's only a 30cm deep job but the ground is full of roots and rocks and is really hard digging.

Anyway, while working my way through one particularly stubborn stretch, my pick head was met with a bright flash, a loud bang and a puff of smoke. I used to be a sapper so i knew what it was as soon as it happened. I'd hit an HV cable and somehow defied the predictions of all those terrible H&S videos i had to watch back in the day.

For some reason, 6cm under the surface of my gravel driveway, there is a 415v HV cable that now has a crack in the outer sleeve and the armour has been penetrated. It was raining earlier and the wounded cable is now buzzing, crackling and steaming away with the water getting into it.

Naturally, I did what all good sappers do in these circumstances and quickly filled it back in and made myself scarce.

It seems that everyone still has power so although the cable is damaged, it still works.

When I last laid a cable, we were told that they always had to be at least 600cm deep, covered with warning tape and if possible marked on the surface with a post of something. What is the law surrounding this?

I have a bloody great cable 6cm's under the surface, i'm being charitable too, it may be less than that as the ground is not level but it's literally possible to scrape the surface with my heel to expose the thing now that I know where it is.

If i report this "fault", it is likely that the electricity people will come knocking at my door with a hefty bill so i want to be able to tell this to piss off and find the moron's who laid it and get the money from them, assuming that they are still alive and have not bee killed by any of their other professional cable installations.View attachment 539551
Report it in, they won't charge you for it,
You only have to pay for anything within your house,
if it blows up in the middle of the night, a lot of people are going to
without power for many hours whilst the supply company find the fault.
If a main breaker goes out a whole area could be down for hours
FFS, ring it in

Blogg

LE
Buried cables, conduits and ducts shall be at sufficient depth to avoid being damaged by any reasonably foreseeable disturbance of the ground. A depth of less than 0.5 m is usually inadvisable.

See Regulation 522.8.10 of BS 7671

Who installed that cable then and when?

If it's not an 'internal' supply cable, you've no worries ringing up leccy board and playing merry f*ck.

It's 'their' supply to your meter, it's their problem.
They'll be bloody quick onto it.
I'd be minded to wait till morning though, they'll rig a temp supply/ genny if you need it.

As @Polyester says, the Leccy lads are decent blokes to deal with.

Up here (NW) anyways.

Totally opposite to BT, unfortunately we've have to deal with both over sub surface networks.
( Nothing is ever where the plans 'say' they are)

Polyester

War Hero
???

Worse than not burying it to the correct depth???

Your having a giraffe my son.
What do you mean worse? I haven't told him he is worse, I have told him what he should do based on my experience. To phone it in. Very unlikely he'll be charged for the work. The thing about the neighbour grassing someone up is based on a real situation that has actually occurred within the DNO I work for. But of course if you know better, feel free to advise the bloke.

Did you read back through the thread to see my previous comments or have you just jumped right on in?

That's not very good but if this turns into a shonky electrics thread I'll get my entry in early
DSC_1868_copy_3105x4140.jpg

Just a thought, I’d be surprised if the electricity board would lay a cable that shallow, that really is cowboy levels of work.

Could be a DIY job or A. Pikey and Sons Electrical Bodgeneers.

Are you sure a previous occupant hasn’t laid it / had it laid for some reason?

Garden lights? Electric gate? Summer house etc?
my bold By the look of in the photo, it seems like a 50mm + far to big for light domestic use.

My builders found one of those when they were digging our foundations, they nicked the black outer layer with their mini digger but thankfully no sparks.

Power blokes came straight out and had a look and did a repair on the black sheath. My builders had to stop work until the cable was moved. I thought it was going to cost me thousands.

They could see the cable went under my neighbour's house and its not supposed to be built over.

Another power bloke came out days later to conduct a survey to reposition the cable.

Month's later contractors turned up to re-route the cable. They said it had to be 1m deep and it took them two days to dig the new trench.

Power blokes came back on day three to make the new connections.
They did it all in a day and a large chunk of the local area had no power for 8 hours. Didn't cost me a penny.

If the cable is part of their power grid and does not just supply your home you might be able to claim cash from them under a wayleave agreement.
(Don't get excited it was about £25 pa. for short runs)

If it's their cable I would expect they would want to re-lay it or re-route it. If they follow the same route you can expect them to dig some big holes.

FA wrong with that. I've seen worse.
That is 75 yards from another cut out which is a mystery red aluminium concentric coming from a pole supply another hundred yards away possibly un metered the middle cut out has both the in and the out on the supply side so pulling the fuse does nothing the socket is in the middle of a wet field. I have found no means of isolation. The gardeners were running an extension lead of it.

anglo

LE
I taught new blokes on the mine to do joints {up to 11kv}
after they had done a few joints with me watching, I'd tell the Forman
to sent them on their own, but give them 2 joint kits,
why, says the Forman, you'll see says I
Sure as sh*t they'd rush their first joint and bang,
another to be made off
lesson learnt

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
That's not very good but if this turns into a shonky electrics thread I'll get my entry in early View attachment 539590
I'll see your properly mounted service cut-out (albeit with shonky builders supply) and raise you this

1610741508813.jpeg

Complete with overhead line tap...

1610741586595.jpeg

Buried cables, conduits and ducts shall be at sufficient depth to avoid being damaged by any reasonably foreseeable disturbance of the ground. A depth of less than 0.5 m is usually inadvisable.

See Regulation 522.8.10 of BS 7671

Who installed that cable then and when?
You mention BS7671 to a DNO bod and you'll just get dribbled at.

They work to the Distribution Code, Electricity at Work Regs, Electricity Act 1989, the Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations plus a handful of other rather boring documents.