Hurt Locker Sucks - But You Knew That

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Rocketeer, Mar 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

there' s a reason its in the Fiction Section -

would have thought the US soldier sueing over his' life' being portrayed on screen wouldn't want to be associated with it 'cause its pants.. but, I guess he figured he could make a few bucks the easy way with a lawsuit and gain some 15 Warhol minutes in the process..

Ever notice no one ever sues an 'unsuccessful' movie??
  2. There's a stark difference between it "sucking" and being unrealistic. Don't throw your teddy out the pram, it done its job, entertained many people and raked in a shiteload of dosh.
  3. I liked it.
  4. I liked it, and yes we all know ATOs don't prat around like that, well the ones in NI certainly didn't , I even bought a copy!
  5. I heard it actually lost money, it's only now that the film awards have got a hold of it that the DVD sales have picked up. Most rental stores only had one or two copies of it and couldn't cope with the rush in demand.
    Coincidentally, the law suits start rolling in at the same time...
  6. Linky
  7. Well I have to admit those figures are pretty damning, but I have read in several places that it still made little if any profit ( This is the best I can find off hand)

Of course, when comparing with Avatar, box-office takings are hugely skewed by the fact that a ticket to the 3D showings cost around 150% of a normal film.
  8. I still think it was total shite......... but then I'm grumpy
  9. It's true that Locker didn't make much money

But this is down to the distributors giving the film a limited release , ie it was shown in art house cinemas rather than the local odeon . It didn't flop as such
  10. TBH I don't even remember hearing about it when it was first released which is unusual for a Kathryn Bigelow film. Saw it about a month ago via a rental dvd (had trouble getting hold of it aswell) and actually enjoyed the story. One of those 'low budget' films that hits the mark, its success is largely due to recommendations of people, certainly not the studio's advertising. I'm not entirely surprised it won the BAFTA, we do have history of picking the underdog film sometimes. As for the Oscar - anyones guess!
  11. I'd never heard of it until it won the BAFTA and I've yet to see it though I do intend to, if just to see what all the fuss is about.
  12. I saw the 'fleeing huge explosion' cliche image in the PR and thought 'yet more yank propaganda'
  13. Ralph Fiennes - in one scene and gets slotted - which was a tad unexpected and thus more enjoyable.
  14. Unimpressed.

I was expecting a nervy movie from Bigelow. A complex nerdy tale of rapidly innovating Iraqi bombers versus hard pressed EOD guys. Instead we got was ever bigger stacks of 155 shells and some thick necked bugger snipping wires like he was hedge trimming when not moonlighting in a sniper team.

The English Patient had more realistic disposal scenes which isn't saying much and at least yerman Fiennes died a slow death by bad Hungarian accent.
  15. Abu Muqawama in Always with the negative waves, Moriarty ... Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

A sample of that Typical Tanky behavior.