Hurt Locker Sucks - But You Knew That

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ts-off-explosions-of-laughter/article1490605/

there' s a reason its in the Fiction Section -

would have thought the US soldier sueing over his' life' being portrayed on screen wouldn't want to be associated with it 'cause its pants.. but, I guess he figured he could make a few bucks the easy way with a lawsuit and gain some 15 Warhol minutes in the process..

Ever notice no one ever sues an 'unsuccessful' movie??

Rocketeer said:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/for-soldiers-in-the-real-world-the-hurt-locker-sets-off-explosions-of-laughter/article1490605/

would have thought the US soldier sueing over his' life' being portrayed on screen wouldn't want to be associated with it 'cause its pants.. but, I guess he figured he could make a few bucks the easy way with a lawsuit and gain some 15 Warhol minutes in the process..

There's a stark difference between it "sucking" and being unrealistic. Don't throw your teddy out the pram, it done its job, entertained many people and raked in a shiteload of dosh.

GrizzlyPanda said:
Rocketeer said:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/for-soldiers-in-the-real-world-the-hurt-locker-sets-off-explosions-of-laughter/article1490605/

There's a stark difference between it "sucking" and being unrealistic. Don't throw your teddy out the pram, it done its job, entertained many people and raked in a shiteload of dosh.
I heard it actually lost money, it's only now that the film awards have got a hold of it that the DVD sales have picked up. Most rental stores only had one or two copies of it and couldn't cope with the rush in demand.
Coincidentally, the law suits start rolling in at the same time...

Shifty17 said:
GrizzlyPanda said:
Rocketeer said:

I heard it actually lost money, it's only now that the film awards have got a hold of it that the DVD sales have picked up. Most rental stores only had one or two copies of it and couldn't cope with the rush in demand.
Coincidentally, the law suits start rolling in at the same time...
Linky

Well I have to admit those figures are pretty damning, but I have read in several places that it still made little if any profit ( This is the best I can find off hand)

Of course, when comparing with Avatar, box-office takings are hugely skewed by the fact that a ticket to the 3D showings cost around 150% of a normal film.

TBH I don't even remember hearing about it when it was first released which is unusual for a Kathryn Bigelow film. Saw it about a month ago via a rental dvd (had trouble getting hold of it aswell) and actually enjoyed the story. One of those 'low budget' films that hits the mark, its success is largely due to recommendations of people, certainly not the studio's advertising. I'm not entirely surprised it won the BAFTA, we do have history of picking the underdog film sometimes. As for the Oscar - anyones guess!

I'd never heard of it until it won the BAFTA and I've yet to see it though I do intend to, if just to see what all the fuss is about.

Unimpressed.

I was expecting a nervy movie from Bigelow. A complex nerdy tale of rapidly innovating Iraqi bombers versus hard pressed EOD guys. Instead we got was ever bigger stacks of 155 shells and some thick necked bugger snipping wires like he was hedge trimming when not moonlighting in a sniper team.

The English Patient had more realistic disposal scenes which isn't saying much and at least yerman Fiennes died a slow death by bad Hungarian accent.

Abu Muqawama in Always with the negative waves, Moriarty ... Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

I have not seen the Hurt Locker. My only opinion of the director, Katherine Bigelow, is based on Point Break, which we can all agree is the greatest movie ever featuring Keanu Reeves shooting a gun up in the air while screaming. But I do not understand my fellow Iraq veterans complaining the Hurt Locker isn't realistic enough. When did war movies suddenly have to be realistic? Did Blackhawk Down start this? Was it the bank robbery scene in Heat? The reason I say this is that one of my best childhood friends was walking through a Walgreens in Nashville, passed a $9 DVD Double Feature of Kelly's Heroes and the Dirty Dozen and immediately thought, correctly, "Oh, man, this would make Ex's year if I bought this and sent it to him." Now there is very little that is realistic about either movie, but c'mon, they are surely two of the greatest war movies ever. And they both star Telly Savalas and Donald Sutherland, the latter of whom is high as a kite in both.
A sample of that Typical Tanky behavior.

Best to watch with added beer,

The Oscars 2010 The Hurt Locker

Directing

The Hurt Locker (Kathryn Bigelow)
Best picture

The Hurt Locker (Kathryn Bigelow, Mark Boal, Nicolas Chartier and Greg Shapiro, producers)

Writing (original screenplay)

The Hurt Locker (Mark Boal)
Sound editing

The Hurt Locker (Paul NJ Ottosson)

Sound mixing

The Hurt Locker (Paul NJ Ottosson and Ray Beckett)

Film editing

The Hurt Locker (Bob Murawski and Chris Innis)