Hurrah for the wind

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Kitmarlowe, Jan 30, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 2
  1. They noted that “wind speeds are part of our root-cause investigation”.

What! We get strong winds in the UK? Why did no one tell us this!

Ban wind, ban it now, for the sake of the Wind Turbines!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Signallers

Signallers Book Reviewer

cor blimey, is the national grid run by parlimentary unjustified decisions? this is a rafter!

3. Nothing can be replied upon to work outside of its specifications.

4. This giant structure was ripped from it's anchors after a puff of wind of a mere 50mph??

I take it they used several tubes of 'No More Nails' to keep it in place rather than actually going to the bother of bolting the thing to the base..........?

• Like Like x 4
  5. Since it's really just a money transference (from poor to rich) machine, why would bolts be required?

6. Really? Explain keith Richards then.

• Like Like x 7
  7. "Well done Denzell, that seems to have done the trick, just pop that big spanner in the back of my spaceship!"

"Thank ee kindly your mongship, but what if them there city folks rebuild it?"

"Ah Denzell, by then you'll have your own spanner!"

"Rooiiight you are there your monnnngness!"

8. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Strange, in the photo there's no deformation at all around the base of the tower as one would expect, I'd have thought you'd have seen signs of bending caused by wind shearing bolts on one side first, as is usual with wind damage.

This appears to be a one off as plenty turbines up here routinely surviving much higher wind speeds.

9. That tubular structure is extremely strong, but if it's not correctly torqued down they can start to rock slightly in the wind, hardly noticable but with incredible force due to the leverage of the high tower. The studs in the base ring then have only two choices open, snap or strip threads!

The firm who put it up were probably Irish pikeys in an old white transit van, the one with the Guiness label tax disc.

• Like Like x 2
  10. The nimbys are out in force speculating and making up any kind of crap in that article.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using ARRSE mobile app

11. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I know but most incidents of damage I've seen haven't involved an entire tower collapse.

Quite unusual, shoddy workmanship as you suggest

12. They'll be looking for a new site, your road/street/garden?

13. Not as much fun as this one though.