Hurrah for the Torygraph (and YouGov and the British public)

Is Hoon (TCH) doing a good job?

• Yes, all budget indicators point to an increasingly efficacious Armed Forces (continue management sp

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, the lying toe-rag is stabbing us in the back!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Britain spends too little on its forces, says poll
By Michael Smith and Andrew Sparrow
(Filed: 23/08/2004)

The majority of people believes that the Government is spending too little on defence and that the Armed Forces are overstretched and under-equipped, says an opinion poll conducted for the Telegraph.

Geoff Hoon, the Defence Secretary, is widely blamed for the state of the forces, with only 14 per cent of those polled believing that he is doing a good job. Only 18 per cent believe that Labour can be trusted to support the forces.

Half of those questioned in the YouGov poll opposed moves to amalgamate famous-name regiments such as the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders and the Black Watch into larger units.

The poll follows last month's defence cuts, in which 22,000 service jobs were axed.

The Royal Navy is to lose a dozen major ships. The RAF is to lose four front-line squadrons and more than 100 aircraft and the Army is to lose four battalions and 100 tanks. More cuts are expected to follow.

Mr Hoon has ordered senior officers and civil servants to avoid describing the widespread loss of men and equipment as defence cuts, insisting that they were "a rebalancing" that will improve military capabilities.

The poll found that 86 per cent of those questioned believe that the defence chiefs should be criticising the cuts. The vast majority did not believe they should resign in protest but 55 per cent felt they should be openly critical.

Mr Hoon has warned the defence chiefs that anyone taking such action will be forced into early retirement.

Asked specifically whether they believe that British or American troops were performing better in Iraq, the poll revealed that only three per cent backed the Americans with 77 per cent backing the British forces.

Nicholas Soames, the shadow defence secretary, said: "I welcome the findings of this poll and I'm not surprised by the results. For the first time in many years the public realise that military issues are very important."

Mr Soames said he agreed that too little was spent on defence and that the forces were suffering from overstretch.

But he was surprised that Mr Hoon's approval rating was 14 per cent. He said: "I would have thought it would be about two per cent. It certainly would not be any higher than that within the Armed Forces."

Bruce George, the Labour MP who chairs the Commons defence committee, said he agreed that military funding was too low.

He said: "The Government cannot expect the Armed Forces to respond effectively to its demands if the level of defence expenditure is not rising adequately.

"Most people who read the newspapers would agree that our forces are overstretched and under-funded."
Defence can be made an issue in the next election and Bliar will be s#!t scared of ceding this ground to the other parties. However, this will probably manifest itself in more corporate comms b@llocks! Journos - check our poll out!

Excellent stuff. Now we need to make sure that the Armed Forces are kept in the public eye, and not just because of young soldiers dying in Iraq for Bliar's foolish foreign policy.

Time to write to my MP again, I think....

All that will happen when we get rid of labour is that we'll end up with a different government who's still out to fcuk the armed forces, none of them are bothered about us as long as we get the job done, it will take a major defeat or a lot more bodies coming back before they start getting worried about pubic opinion on the armed forces.

Crap though they are, the Tories are the only ones who are going to form a different government - and not for at least another parliamentary term. And their defence plans are even worse than Labour's! It's a nightmare.

agree the most recent history of the Tories is abysmal for defence (how many of you remember the Gay Spanish Cavalier?)

but they are the only alternative - pressure on your MP, bombard the b'stards and lets mobilise the military vote!

already written to my MP , and recieved a reply no less telling me my concerns would be raised with Mr Hoon (yeah if you can catch the c*nt awake) and she would get back to me with his reply....... i aint holding my breath you'll be pleased to hear.

how about mailing TCH direct.
geoff-hoon-mp@new.labour.org.uk

or ring his consTITuency office and bombard them with calls for his head on a spike on 01634 720399

agree the most recent history of the Tories is abysmal for defence (how many of you remember the Gay Spanish Cavalier?)

but they are the only alternative - pressure on your MP, bombard the b'stards and lets mobilise the military vote!
Remind me again Plastic Yank , who planned and instigated the Strategic Defence Review that Labour carried out in 1999?

Try

contact@geoff-hoon-mp.new.labour.org.uk

Westminster
Geoff Hoon MP
House of Commons
London
SW1A 0AA

Tel:
020 7219 2701/3477

Fax:
020 7219 2428

Surgery Details
For an appointment please contact:
8 Station Street
Kirkby-in-Ashfield
Nottinghamshire
NG17 7AR

Opening Times: Monday to Friday, 9:00am to 4:30pm
Tel: 01623 720399
Fax:01623 720398
Email: CONTACT@geof-hoon-mp.new.labour.org.uk

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: Recent Defense Cuts.
Sent: 23/08/2004 13:23

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'contact@geoff-hoon-mp.new.labour.org.uk' on 23/08/2004 13:23
The recipient name is not recognized

anyone would think he's trying to avoid 'the public' 8O

radio 5 are having an armed forces special at the moment.

one poitician has just wondered why the mod should be considered any different from any other branch of the civil service.???????????????

can she not comprehend the difference between bodies and paper clips???????

Afraid that one 'F' in Geoff (and various other combos) results in my recieving a Geoff Hoon is not home, we've never heard of him etc etc etc message.

:evil:

Well that ain't good Dan, because his office just gave me that address 8O

Try it again now, 1 f . Appears to have been a drama at their end now sorted.

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: defense cuts
Sent: 23/08/2004 14:06

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'contact@geof-hoon-mp.new.labour.org.uk' on 23/08/2004 14:06
The recipient name is not recognized

oh well.
I'll try again later.
:?

Your message has encountered delivery problems
to the following recipient(s):

contact@geof-hoon-mp.new.labour.org.uk
Delivery failed