• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Huntsmen in full cry to capture top English icon

oldbaldy said:
I voted for the longbow. Good writeup but fails to mention the two fingered salute!
Hey, hands off our icon, look you boyo! (You can keep the English salute, though.)

"In the year 633, Offrid, the son of Edwin, King of Northumbria, was killed by an arrow in battle with the Welsh and the Mercians. It's not certain the arrow was from a Welsh longbow but this is an early account of the use of the longbow by the Welsh archers in military action (see illustration<). The story promotes the belief which credits the Welsh with inventing and introducing the longbow into the British Isles. The acknowledged expert on the longbow, Robert Hardy, has written:"If the Welsh did not have bows yet, it cannot have been long before they adopted the weapon from the raiding Danes, but it is more than likely that, however they first came by it, the Welsh, among all the tribes in the British Isles, either retained the use of the bow from much earlier times, or invented it for themselves long before there could have been any chance for them to have learned of its use from the Scandinavians."

http://www.fletcher-family.co.uk/C13th Fletchers.htm

"The home of the long-bow is the country between the Severn and the Wye. It was famous before, but it was first used with effect in the last Welsh wars. It was used to break the lines of the Snowdon lances and pikes, so that the mail-clad cavalry might dash in. But later on, the same bows were used to bring the nobles of France down."

http://www.red4.co.uk/ebooks/shorthistory/castlenlongbow.htm

Just caught this on 'Des and Mel' (I know, shoot me in the face).

A viewer sent in his idea of what it means to be English;

Driving in your German car to an Irish pub to drink Belgium beer. On the way home in a Korean made taxi driven by an East European, stop off for an Indian curry, Chinese takeaway or Turkish kebab to then go home to sit on a Swedish sofa watching American shows on a Japanese TV.

But most of all, having an inbuilt suspicion of everything foreign!

Comment on Fox Hunting
You can argue how Hunting is part of our heritage and embedded in our country as much as you want, if that was truly the case, I could argue that going on a crusade to the middle east is part our heritage and I demand we go over there and kill people now. Somehow I don't think that is going to happen *which I am rather glad about* and Fox Hunting was restricted under law by vote, it wasn't just changed with out going through the right democratic channels. Oh by the way Fox Hunting Boys and Girls, stop rigging the vote.

Comment on Fox Hunting posted 2006-01-18 by Daniel Northey from Plymouth
found this in the comments. a few points spring to mind
a) tony is on a crusade in the middle east at the moment
b) the parliament act isn't democratic
c) voting on polls is (ish)

chimera

LE
Voted...

But bear in mind that this is a Government sponsored initiative....chances of the fox hunting icon getting through in Blair's Nanny state less than average perhaps??

Thank you for all the support. Fox Hunting came top in the government poll of England's "most treasured cultural institutions". The sport received 91% of the public vote in a survey by the Department of Culture, Media and Sport.

Huntsman said:
Thank you for all the support. Fox Hunting came top in the government poll of England's "most treasured cultural institutions". The sport received 91% of the public vote in a survey by the Department of Culture, Media and Sport.
but will this be reported in the papers today? :?

Poppy said:
Huntsman said:
but will this be reported in the papers today? :?
Do you have a link?

Might be useful ammo on another MB - a hand grenade I can throw in....

Load of Knobs on horseback, Fcuk 'em. Only decent thing is the "Fox and Hounds" in Netherhavon, And "Horse and Jockey" On Fieldhead estate.

No question over the fidelity of this Government Department poll. This result is no more rigged than the act of parliament which 'curtailed' Fox Hunting. So, what measures will the Department of Culture, Media and Sport put in place to preserve Englands "most treasured cultural institution"? A Lottery Grant to the museum of Fox Hunting? Publicity of the result at all Culture, Media and Sport facilities? A preservation order on all Hunt packs? An English Fox Hunting bank holiday? Decisions, decisions ...

Latest Threads