Hunting trip in Tunisia anyone?

Wrong place, wrong time. Can I assume they don't have PACE over there?

12 Swedish tourists on a boar shooting trip apparently.
Dragged from their taxis while trying to get to the airport.....
Poor buggers. (Where did the German sniper rumour come from then?? Tunisia's version of arrse? The TUnisian Rumour Dis-Service or TURDS?)

Tunisian Police said 4 of them are German but reports are mixed. Apparently a couple of them are still missing, some are holed up in hotels and the Police rescued those 3 from the mob. Apparently they had all the relevant permits and paperwork
I supose that to your average rioter a hunting rifle looks much the same as a sniper rifle
Some of them got a fairly nasty kicking from the crowd it would appear.

Swedish boar hunters beaten amid Tunisia chaos - Telegraph

Who the hell goes to Tunisia to hunt boar? According to a recent thread on ARRSE, France is overrun by them and it is open season. This sounds like the excuse a number of former Guantanamo inmates came up with for being caught in Afghanistan 'it is easier to practise my religion here than in England/Germany/USA' (delete as applicable) - either that or they were on 'computer courses'.

Who the hell goes to Tunisia to hunt boar? According to a recent thread on ARRSE, France is overrun by them and it is open season. This sounds like the excuse a number of former Guantanamo inmates came up with for being caught in Afghanistan 'it is easier to practise my religion here than in England/Germany/USA' (delete as applicable) - either that or they were on 'computer courses'.
No idea, but some reports say the Tunisian Police say they had the appropriate permits.

...would love to pop up to shoot some boar, but currently tied down in Abidjan (Ivory Coast) with some loon running around in a suit proclaiming to be the president (a president walt?), while the AU is fighting off one assault after the other from the 'other' President.

If costs are the issue, I have a house in the Charente right on the edge of a forest which has a number of boar roaming in it (although I've never seen any, I've certainly seen where they've gouged out the ground in search of food). Available to rent at a surprisingly reasonable cost..... Why go to Algeria? They are certainly not keen on the French there - too much shared history and bad memories.

Well at least they were not Swiss. The Swiss have "form" (allegedly) for a bit of biped hunting where the chaos allows it to go un-noticed.

Not sure about Tunisia but a few years ago boar hunting in Sind, Pakistan was great fun. They just shoot them for fun, they are inedible I am told though I was never tempted to try to find out for myself... And yes, boar is very much haram.

Surely it is unethical to shoot something just for fun - fun should be a by-product of shooting for food.
The exception being chavs - everyday should be open season.

well ok maybe it can be done fairly cheaply if you have the contacts but i guess its very cheap to hire drivers and get licences etc out there and to arrange excursions etc. the swedes have an imaginative and passionate approach to travel so maybe they wanted to do something really quite unusual and novel as well

what's the muslim approach to boar? its still a pig right? Tunisia is quite leniant on the rules I think, same as Morocco can be. I mean both countries grow wine for a start!
Morocco is fairly easy going and the locals are friendly but like most other Arab states I would not want to get the locals stirred up, they definately have a mob mentality and appear to be easily led by rabble rousers. Morocco does have hunting available see here :- Hunting in Morocco and I can get ham etc from my local supermarket but it is all imported from France or Spain! They also grow a lot of wine some of which is drinkable!

what's the muslim approach to boar? its still a pig right? Tunisia is quite leniant on the rules I think, same as Morocco can be. I mean both countries grow wine for a start!
Certainly eaten in Algeria by the Kabylies, who are Berber not Arab, some are muslim some are atheist and some have their own tribal witchcraft beliefs. 'Sanglier' is hunted pretty regularly by the mountain folk, who are disparaged by the city folk as 'bad muslims' for eating pork. They counter that the city folk are 'bad muslims' because they drink alcohol.

I like proper Berbers. VERY very good people. Many claim to be, and might be 'technically' Berbers but in my experience, VERY few really are.
Agreed, I've had some shocking haircuts in my time!

I like proper Berbers. VERY very good people. Many claim to be, and might be 'technically' Berbers but in my experience, VERY few really are.
True only about 20 odd percent of Moroccans use Berber as a first language, mainly in the Rif or Atlas Mountains. Most claim to be of Arab descent like the current King who also claims to be descended from the Prophet. There obviously was a huge ammount of intermarriage between the two, blurring the differences! This was futher blurred in the 17th C when Moulay Ismael see here :- Ismail Ibn Sharif - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia imported tens of thousands of sub saharan Africans to become a formidable mercenary army, the so called Black guard! To encourage these men they were given Berber women to take as wives. It is quite noticable to see a fair proportion of the current population having somewhat negroid facial characteristics! Mind you he also helped to grow the population "Moulay Ismaïl is alleged to have fathered 889 children. This is widely considered the record number of offspring for any man throughout history that can be verified. It is thought that Ismaïl would have had to copulate with an average of 1.2 women per day over 60 years to achieve that number of children". Now thats what you call stamina ;-)
The Moroccan fighting man has proved to be quite a tough individual over the years, There were the Sallee corsairs, pirates based in Sale in the 16th/17th Centuries who raided shipping & coastal settlements for booty & slaves, as far afield as S. Ireland & S. W. England! Then others who inflicting defeats on many European Armies including Britain who they drove out of Tangiers in 1684, probably the most significant was the Spanish in 1921 at the battle of Annuale where over 20,000 Spaniards were slaughtered :- Battle of Annual - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia! The French of course whilst not militarily defeated thought it wise to pull out in 1956 !

V interesting Ex_colonial I now have a new hero/role model in the form of a certain Moulay Ismaïl Ibn Sharif.
Here he is singing his first name over and over - something modern day rappers are pretty familiar with - although his name has been badly translated to 'Wooly Bully' not 'Moulay Moulay.'

YouTube - SAM THE SHAM AND THE PHARAOS

re Berbers/Barbers you guys should write top quality gags for the greats like....Ant & Dec. I did have a haircut in Marrakesh, cut throat razor the lot, I was laughing all day how I'd been to the Berber barber. I just wish he'd slipped on a Barbour jacket at the end. Rather like a Michael Palin scene he was very unhurried and slow and as we talked in French he got more excited to show me his entire collection of Western music and rushed off mid-hair cut to fetch it, aplogisisng but very excited. He came back with Michael Jackson CD. so his collection was one CD. Which we listened to as he slowly removed single hairs from my head one by one. (I ****ing hate Miachael Jackson but was fairly polite.) Very funny place.
re Berbers we met some really cool ones up in the Atlas. We didnt want to stay at the European style and slightly pricey Refuge up there so ended up in a 'village' some rocks, some caves and a shop the size of a portaloo. We were made welcome for 3 nights (we didnt have much gear with us intentionally, just some food and fags which we shared but i think we left a bag there for 2 days to lighten even more for the 'summit attack' and all was safe as houses) and stayed up til 3am talking every night they were really great blokes and not once did they even try and rip us off. Mind you we did explain clearly our intention of what to do with the next person who tried to sell us/force upon us any bloody Fatima bracelets and so on....involving them being inserted in the mouth and pushed so far down, able to clean them with a tootbrush if you follow.
heard some very interesting stories and folk tales etc nice people. saw themselves as apart from other Moroccons and they disliked and were embarassed of the city people etc. Most bad behaviour in the country was usually done by 'city people' in their eyes.
True, unfortunately there is a lot of real poverty here and no welfare state so hustling tourists is a way they can try & extract some cash, some tourists will just give a little cash to get rid of them! Most people know me by sight in my district and I have no trouble, I even got a snappy salute this morning from an Army NCO who came into the cafe where I was taking my usual morning cuppa whilst doing sudoku!

I even got a snappy salute this morning from an Army NCO who came into the cafe where I was taking my usual morning cuppa whilst doing sudoku!
Now that is cool!
I hopr you got the signed serviette!

unlucky I thinkn I'd been tempted to ditch the firearms and make an insurance claim when I got home.