Hunting questions.

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Ravers, Feb 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I have been invited to go hunting (the kind with horses and dogs) next week with an Army hunt. I've never been before and am at a bit of a loss as to the correct etiquette not to mention attire.

Personally I don't fancy forking out a load of wedge for some poncy outfit that I will probably only wear once, however I also don't want to look a twat. I was actually considering wearing number 2s as they are readily available and look quite smart. I know that this is acceptable, however I have no clue as to how they should be worn with Jodphurs and riding boots. Do I need to wear a belt as well for instance? Do I need to take my cap with me for when I am not wearing a riding helmet? Are Gloves acceptable? If so what kind?

Finally what's the general crack with foxhunting? I'm a pretty competent horse rider so that's not really an issue, but things like how to address the hunt master etc. are.

Any information or general tips regarding this matter are much appreciated.
  2. If you are a novice then you just are! Just be polite, contrary to popular belief fox hunters come from all walks of life, do not try to do more than your ability on a horse will let you do, I am guessing you will be borrowing your ride you will not be thanked if you break it. Finally if you get to catch a fox it's only vermin.
  3. When I hunt I wear "Ratcatcher" A flat tweed cap, shirt and tie, and a Harris tweed Hacking jacket, you can probably get away with a sports jacket and a pair of jodpures and boots, matching gloves are optional, if you are going to jump I would wear a riding hat and body guard, but I am a bit to old for that now, if the weathers crap wear a Barber or" dry as a bone "type jacket, most farmers hunts are usuly pretty laid back these days unless its one of the realy posh noes
  4. Putting 2+2 together, I assume you are out with this bunch. This may be useful background.

I would go "Ratcatcher" too. Whatever you do, do not over-ride hounds...that is the worst solecism possible. "A friend" of mine lost control of his mount and got both barrels from a very grumpy huntsman.

5. From what I have seen on the telly the most popular garb appears to be an indignant expression, welly boots, an anorak, a bobble hat and a placard saying something like Fox Murdering Scum. Oh and there are usually some smart looking people dressed in red on horses lurking about too.
  6. Ravers

That's the one!

Cheers for the tips.
  7. Ravers

By Ratcatcher do you mean tweed jacket, with shirt and tie?
  8. Bear in mind that it will probably be bitterly cold. A thermal vest would be useful and/ or a plain waistcoat. Hunting kit is all bulky and made from heavy cloth for a reason - its cold out there and it protects you a bit when you fall off. Stick a hip flask in a pocket along with a Mars bar and enjoy your day!

I would def go for a hard hat even if you don't expect to jump. Some hunts expect it and there could be insurance problems. Have a quiet word with whoever invited you to ask about the 'cap'. Nuff said!
  9. Ravers - what was your day out like?
  10. Ravers - what was your day out like?

Edited to add: Describe the worst day's hunting you ever had? Fantastic!
  11. Ravers

I haven't been yet!

It's this Saturday. I've just forked out a small fortune on new jodhpurs and a riding helmet (apparently it's bad form to wear white jeans and a polo hat!?)

Really looking forward to it. I'll let you know how it goes.
  12. Ravers

Well that was absolutely top.

The weather held out, I had a top horse and the company was fantastic. We had about 40 or 50 riders and there was even a pub stop for good measure!
  13. i saw the RA Hunt at Sandown on Friday, they were in fine fettle.

May I also take the opportunity to commend Mr big on his fine win in the RA Gold Cup? Did I mention i had a substantial win on that race and overall had four winners and two places? Or that i now live in smug corner??
  14. On reading the posts regarding hunting etiquette reminds me of the story of a girl out for the first time with a hunt. Her horse was rather frisky and kept taking off with her, at one stage she had overtaken the field and the huntsman. Once the master had caught up with her and given her a dressing down he remarked

" look at the state of your horse, he's all sweated up"

and her reply

" so would you be if you had been between my legs for half an hour"
  15. My slightly mad 20stone late brother, decided it would be a good Idea to take up hunting as his wife was a very keen horsewomen, and so bought himself an 18 1/2 hand Shire Horse, named Carrie, ( should have clicked with the name" so goes of one morning with the Tredegar Farmers hunt, As soon as the hunt caught a scent the bloody thing took off like a rocket and out ran the Master and shot off into the distance. we found him in a holly bush some time later covered with blood and Mud and the giant mare standing there as if nothing had happened, he never went hunting again but he did give me the mare. She's retired now, but I had many happy hours with her, once riding from Abergavenny to Aberystwyth, right over the top over the Black Mountains,Brecon Beacons and Cambrian Mountains, To effed up to do that now