Hunting in the UK

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by kiwi1938, Dec 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm considering moving to the UK in the near future, I currently live in New Zealand and do a lot of hunting, mainly for rabbits and for deer.

In NZ its very easy to just approach farmers to be able to shoot rabbits on their farms, and there are a lot of places to get deer that are easy to get into.

What's it like in the UK?
    Are farmers happy to let you take care of rabbits on their farms or are they pretty restrictive?
    What's it like for deer shooting? Is there many of them around?
    Also I know that people over there don't seem to like the grey squirrels very much, do people shoot them over there? I know a lot of people in the US shoot and eat squirrels?

Thanks for your replies.

2. We're a very crowded little island here and that makes things difficult. Whilst getting shooting permission off your friends and neighbours is usually possible,most landowners will already have people controlling rabbits etc for them, often paying for the privilege. With deerstalking the situation is more difficult again, despite there being plenty of deer about it's quite common for professional deer stalkers to have negotiated exclusive rights over large areas of land so the only way you can shoot on them is to hire the stalker as your guide.

Paid stalking can be very good value and is easy to arrange but I suspect you will find everything a bit of a shock after NZ.

Shooting grey squirrels in your back garden is free and usually unrestricted :)

3. As far as I'm aware it is legal to hunt here assuming you get the landowners permission which shouldn't be too difficult.

An on the answer to dear hunting. Well I've never seen one personally but I've heard they can be found in the Scottish highlands although this could be rumour as it is believed the jocks caught, raped and eat the majority so good luck in your hunt!

4. Why do you feel the need to post on a topic you clearly know next to nothing about?

5. Dont bother bro, as a pom in nz and being amazed at the amount of venison, pigs, rabbits, wallabies etc (South island logger..:) )

You're going to find the UK restrictions **** and retarded at best.

Go down the local and join the local shoot, they'll get you sorted.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Just trying to help the guy as best I can

7. Very helpful I'm sure :roll:

8. Prepare to be massively dissapointed after NZ, there are as many stupid laws here as there are stupid people! Also, if you encounter folks on the hill whilst stalking, you are often met with outright ignorant hostility. Most folk in the UK think their meat comes from shops not from animals.

• Like Like x 2
  9. lived in nz for 11years and hunt, target shoot and collect firearms,it's a joy.but to be honest i just couldn't be bothered when in the uk.just to hard
    and a very different mind set.I wish you luck!

10. Derrick Bird and Michael Ryan found it quite good fun.

11. I'd stay in NZ if I was you...

12. Aside from the hunting, shooting and fishing aspects you would do well to consider that the UK economy is on its arse and the number of people unemployed is equal to more than half the NZ population. That's just the official figures too.

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

It can be fun but a lot will depend upon the depth of your pocket and your willingness to be involved in the sport either organising or assisting. It can be very rewarding if you get in with the right crowd, but it can also be very frustrating. I would recommend that if you arent a member of a hunting club in NZ then getting it started and a record of your shooting signed off by an oficial is helpful but no guarantee to opening doors or even aiding with a license. remember most shooting in the UK is shotguns, then target rifles then hunting. There are numerous national organisation queuing up to take your pennies, None of them are particularly national nor organised and you can get cheap insurance for about £20 from a good broker by recommendation.
    then there is the pointy heads (or civvies depending upon where you live) who will interpret the law how they see fit regardless of Home Office instructions and generally feck you about making you wonder why you even bother but it can be very rewarding to win over the plod.
    Have fun and keep us informed, should you need stalking ground in the south east drop me a PM!

14. I live in Dubai now, but I was a very keen deer stalker in the UK. It takes a lot of hard work and contacts to get your own patch. The laws and attitudes of most people are a pain in the arse.

I was hunting and fishing in NZ this year, near Wanaka. I was amazed at the fantastic attitude, liberal gun laws and availability of free hunting. If I were you I'd stay put.

• Like Like x 1