Hunt: NHS to eliminate reliance on foreign born doctors

Jeremy Hunt wants to end the NHS reliance on foreign born doctor's by 2025.

With some 100,000 doctor's working within the NHS being trained abroad, is this a realistic goal.l? Or is it a deliberate measure to help collapse the NHS by a man who is known to favour complete privatisation of the health services

Hunt promises to end NHS reliance on overseas doctors after Britain leaves EU http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/03/jeremy-hunt-promises-to-end-nhs-reliance-on-overseas-doctors-after-brexit?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

This is good to hear, I never even new the amount of places were restricted for training.

I have to admit it is annoying when you visit a GP who's English isn't their first language and it's a struggle to understand what they are saying, it's also difference in cultures wich may make it difficult for their colleagues to communicate, which I have witnessed in hospital.

Mrs Doom works in the care sector and the same go's for nurses. We have a severe lack of British trained nurses and this leads to recruiting abroad were standards and procedures can be much different to ours.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Reliance on foreign born doctor's what? Do you moonlight as a signwriter for fruit and veg stalls?
Fruit and veg stall's surely.

NHS or private healthcare, the UK will still be reliant on foreign-born staff. A private healthcare system would probably attract more foreigners not less.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
This is good to hear, I never even new the amount of places were restricted for training.

I have to admit it is annoying when you visit a GP who's English isn't their first language and it's a struggle to understand what they are saying, it's also difference in cultures wich may make it difficult for their colleagues to communicate, which I have witnessed in hospital.

Mrs Doom works in the care sector and the same go's for nurses. We have a severe lack of British trained nurses and this leads to recruiting abroad were standards and procedures can be much different to ours.
A mate of mine is a dressings technician in a well-known private London hospital. Some of the situations he's described to me in terms of multiple languages and cultures on a ward are near-unbelievable.

Hunt's aspiration might be admirable but there are quite a number of issues to overcome, I fear.

As it's ARRSE, I'll start by using recruitment for some of the Scottish regiments as an example. The home-grown 'talent' is far happier sitting on the dole, so we recruit from the colonies.

My point is that it's all very well saying that we'll recruit here however nursing doesn't pay brilliantly. Being a doctor is rather better but we still come up short. There are failings in the education system and in the quality of individuals coming forward from within the indigenous population. We may have taken advantage of overseas recruitment but it's not just driven by money.

That said, I had occasion to be in a private hospital up in Black Heath a couple of years ago. The nurses there were in the main Zimbabwean and uniformly excellent, both in terms of skills and attitude towards the patient. On the flip side, I've also met some UK-born nurses whose attitudes are truly execrable.

Jeremy Hunt wants to end the NHS reliance on foreign born doctor's by 2025.

With some 100,000 doctor's working within the NHS being trained abroad, is this a realistic goal.l? Or is it a deliberate measure to help collapse the NHS by a man who is known to favour complete privatisation of the health services

Hunt promises to end NHS reliance on overseas doctors after Britain leaves EU http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/03/jeremy-hunt-promises-to-end-nhs-reliance-on-overseas-doctors-after-brexit?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard
It's obviously all a conspiracy, jesus wept.

I don't think that it's the people on the dole who would be the target for recruiting into the medical profession.

It does make sense to fund training and apprenticeships for young people to work in the health sector, given the size of the NHS. There'll be good employment opportunities there.

I'm sure we're all grateful for the good care that we've received from the NHS, irrespective of the background of the carers. I also think it's worth paying for opportunities for young people to get into this industry.

This is a very basic mathmatical problem. He patently had it upside down as he was reading it.

Incredibly this is both unfeasable and manages to play the migrants are bad card

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
Well fortunately the Gvt is addressing the shortage of nurses by utterly ******* future nurses by making them pay for the training that they used to actually be paid for....

Considering the shortgage of doctors currently WITH the non UK medics support in place and with a 8-10 year lag on qualified doctors through the training pipeline I can only conclude that Hunt is scoffing magic mushrooms

Pure politics, If you think the NHS is shit now just wait till you are paying for it and a profit margin for shareholder

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
We have not trained enough medical, nursing and allied health professionals for years, generations even. Correcting that will take significant amounts of front end investment.

Employing foreign staff also has costs. It costs in opportunities lost for home grown staff, it strips away the talent from the countries they come from and it adds to the immigration 'problem' - if you think there is a problem.

My friends in the health care industry tell me that most foreign staff are an asset but some are truly dreadful. Not much different to the local staff except that being foreign can exacerbate the problems.

The problem in the past has mainly been funding the training.

Even if they were to chuck a £billion at it today it would still take 5 or 6 years (not sure of the training cycle from entry to qualification) before these docs entered the profession.

But on the bright side Hunt is clearly considering life post BREXIT.

Thread title edited to remove the grocer's apostrophe.
Thanks!
This is a very basic mathmatical problem. He patently had it upside down as he was reading it.

Incredibly this is both unfeasable and manages to play the migrants are bad card
Indeed. My concern is that when the very public doctors pay dispute is taking place, many of these bright young Brits who may have gone into medicine will be put off.

This coupled with the long lead time for training and Hunt wanting to end recruiting foreign doctors will result in a perfect storm, damaging the NHS significantly

Well fortunately the Gvt is addressing the shortage of nurses by utterly ******* future nurses by making them pay for the training that they used to actually be paid for....

Considering the shortgage of doctors currently WITH the non UK medics support in place and with a 8-10 year lag on qualified doctors through the training pipeline I can only conclude that Hunt is scoffing magic mushrooms

Pure politics, If you think the NHS is shit now just wait till you are paying for it and a profit margin for shareholder
But you won't be paying for it. The Conservatives have not said they are going to privatise it. All major political parties are commited to keeping the NHS free at the point of use. Every thread involving the NHS features you playing the same card and scaremongering over privatisation without providing a shred of evidence to back up your claims.

Nobody can provide evidence the Conservatives are going to sell of the NHS because they are not going to do so.

But you won't be paying for it. The Conservatives have not said they are going to privatise it. All major political parties are commited to keeping the NHS free at the point of use. Every thread involving the NHS features you playing the same card and scaremongering over privatisation without providing a shred of evidence to back up your claims.

Nobody can provide evidence the Conservatives are going to sell of the NHS because they are not going to do so.
That doesn't stop the conspiracy theorists throwing a speed wobble. It would be political suicide for any Party to state that they were intent on large scale privatisation of the NHS.