Hundreds of police may have criminal records

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by armchair_jihad, Jul 30, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I guess you have never read the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974
    then!!.

2. Jesus but your in a mood today, the public perception of the Police Service is that despite the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, no serving policemen have criminal records. It was a surprise to me - in that I expect a percentage of coppers to be bent but not to be rehired after a conviction.

3. It depends on the conviction. let's take for example drink driving, an offence I condone upmost. If an individual was to be arrested for DD and 5-10 years later join the Police, then I dont really see this as a problem. All spent convictions are considered when the applicant has submitted the relevant information.

Obviously if the applicant was convicted on death by dangerous driving whilst under the influence of Alcohol, then no I would not expect them to be accepted.

Other's will have various views on this subject...

4. its does depend on the nature of the Conviction and most importantly how long ago and at what age.

a friend of mine has joined the Police and has successfully passed his porbationary period and passed his sergeants exams, he had a conviction for criminal damage when a teenager, however that term is too broad, iit wa spossibly nothing more than writting a grafitti.

how many of us didn't do daft things when we were young ?

5. Your comment could reflect on the present annual report of the PSNI.

Out of 47 Officers before a disciplinary board, 18 were criminal related matters.

Now Im or they are not suggesting that the 18 were all mass murderer's but it could have been offences such as Drink Driving which is classed as a criminal offence.

It is down to the Service on how they approach a decision on what should happen to the Officer's involved.

Im am quite sure there are other Constabularies in the UK with Officers commiting such offences, I only take the PSNI for example because they seem to be the only Police Service open to disclosing such information in an annual report that I have found.

6. People who enter the police service with criminal offences tend to have had a single incident when a child.

For instance a guy who aged ten breaks into a sweet shop and steals a box of mars bars and gets a conviction for burglary may be a prefectlly qualified candidate as an ex inf sgt aged 30 and why should one childish slip stand against him?

I know several people with similar stories.

People who stay in after conviction tend to have had one drink over the odds before driving, racking my brains I cannot think of anyone who survived anything other than a driving offence conviction.

Trotsky

7. Zenyatta Mondatta, that really was a criminal record...

8. In a lot of forces but not all a drink driving conviction will get you the sack, in my force we have been told if your caught drink driving you will be sacked no excuses.
    Most officers with convictions are for minor offences or things when they were young like public order, common assault and damage.

9. Firstly everyone makes mistakes, police or not.

Secondly as a police officer I make a point of telling kids who get in trouble it's not the end of their world. It's human to make a mistake, learn from it and move on, it's only stupid to make the same mistake twice.

Say your kid stole a mars bar or smashed a window for example, should that bar them from the career of their choice, i think not. Now if they do it over and over and end up with an ASBO - different story.

Not making excuses but serving bobbies are often accused of all sorts and face no end of malicous complaints. A fair few will end up being potted on the basis that they are often out numbered by a bunch of scroats. The other side of that coin is as in every job there are those that clearly should be out on their ear but for some reason arn't. Every barrel has it's bad apples.

As a point of interest I know one ex squaddie who's joined my force recently and has to declare his military record (smashing a window when pissed) on every file he submits and another who's effectively suspended and in an office job after being found quilty of a integrity matter on a disciplinary. Don't think these officers are rolling around unaffected by their convictions, they're not.

10. Whole hartedly agree mate, and if the Lad stuck in an office is a good copper it makes no difference, the powers that be would still rather have some useless tw@t on the streets who hasn't upset them and may bring bad PR.

11. Ta. He is a good egg, you have to wonder if it wsn't easier for the force to pot him than to stick two fingers up to the complainant and risk being acused of a white wash. Or am i just too cynical?

12. Probably easier for the force to pick on one of their own. I was investigated when some chav's mum claimed i stood on her throat for 15 mins in the midde of a council estate at nine pm. I'm 15 stone and that would have left some sort or mark and surely there would be some witness but there were neither, yet standards dept still took the complaint and i had to be interviewed like a criminal., then sweat on the CPS decision even though i knew i'd not done anything of the sort it was still worrying.

My mate got filled in by a bloke outside a nightclub, all of it was captured on video, yet the bloke made a complaint about him saying he was beaten up (he wasn't) and my oppo had to receive "words of advice", which amounts to a detection.

Both should have been told where to go.

13. Here in the US, you can be hired as a police officer, WITHOUT a felony conviction. Misdemeanor arrests/convictions are considered, as a whole, with the entire background of the applicant. Therefore, in and of itself, a misdemeanor conviction won't necessarily bar them from employment.

Of course, here an applicant is much more (you won't believe it) thoroughly screened then in the UK.