Hundreds of bounce messages - advice please

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by scaryspice, Mar 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

Logged on to download my e-mail this evening and received about 400 messages, every one of which looks like genuine message saying that my message has been blocked as spam or refused by bulk mail server, etc, etc.

They've been coming in since 0500 this morning at a rate of one evey few minutes and they're still coming...

I don't run a server - just a normal PC. I have Norton firewall and run anti-virus and anti-spyware scans regularly.

I'm not an expert at reading e-mail headers but they seem to indicate that someone in Russia has sent a spam run using my e-mail address as the return address :cry: I'm a Demon Internet customer whcih means I have an infinite number of e-mail addresses XXXX @ and these returned mails are all coming to different versions of XXXX. It seems to be alphabetical and so far I'm only getting the Es 8O

Any advice on what I can do other than delete the stuff on the server (via webmail) or speak to Demon tomorrow (not sure what they can do either?) Headers of a typical post below in case anyone can tell me anything from it. This is the "message you sent" headers in a "returned mail" message so allegedly this is what I sent.....

2. I had this a couple of years back. I checked everything, and even asked for advice on here.

I was told that spammers were using my e-mail address as a return address for their spam.

I ended up having to drop that e-mail account.
    You may find that it's the easiest way out of this problem.

Best of luck.
  3. Try e-mailing demon customer services and asking them to block/cancel this e-mail address.

Edited to add - Snap TT as it may seem the only way.
  4. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

Thanks guys - I was afraid it might be something like that - I assume is the IP address of the spammer?

I've been a Demon customer for many years but they aren't the cheapest and I was considering changing. Any tips for a good broadband ISP? I don't need webspace but multiple e-mail addresses is useful.

Edited to add a had some spam this week which appeared to come from a friend's AOL (spit!) address. I had a message from him yesterday saying that his AOL address book had been hacked and as AOL would not sort it out he was closing the AOL account. Could the two things be connected - i.e. could the spammers have got my address from his address book?
  5. I have had this problem with demon in the past. Here is the official advice from them.

6. msr

msr LE

Yes, you've been 'joe jobbed'.

7. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

Thanks mr_stabby I hadn't spotted that option. Now activated. As I received 500 more this morning it should help a great deal.

msr - I knew there was an expression for this situation but had forgotten what it was - thanks. Who's Joe? :)
  8. msr

msr LE