Humping Elderberries ..... in the nicest possible sense

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by medwaymud, Sep 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Down here in deepest Dorset, I have been walking the hills, cliff tops and Public footpaths and noting the locations of natures bounty and how things are ripening.

I now am approaching the time when I have to man-up and hump heavy drop quantities of elderberries upfuckinghill to my car.

Have any esteemed Arrser's solved the problem of both back packing this load and not staining your car boot purple ?

BTW - if anyone needs top grade Sloes - I have them in quantity.

Yours ...hic

M_Mud

2. Advice, if you intent to make sloe wine, do so with care. I made some many years ago and, on sampling many months later the sides of my mouth stuck together. Drier than a witches tit!

3. I think I will give that one a miss.
    Sloes will be used for an an experiment with a source of good Cretan raki I have .... and gin just in case.

The elderberries are going to be my first try at a traditional English fruit wine.

4. Put them in zip-loc bags. (Don't squeeze the air out :roll: ).

That's what we've been doing with the brambles.

5. You can get loads of elderberries in a 5 gallon brewing bin and the snap tight lid means no mess in the motor.

6. Have you ever heard of plastic bags or buckets with lids?

7. Have you ever heard of Winspit, Hounstout and St Aldhelms Head ?

It is a good, bracing walk with only a Thermos and packet of sandwiches. Me staggering along with 25 kilos of berries in buckets is a no goer.
    It has got to be a rucksack with either plastic sacks in it THAT CANNOT BURST or some method of fixing a big plastic bin to my back.

Also - I am completely out of donkeys and redundant Gurkhas.

8. Stick a decent bergen on your back with a couple of heavy duty gardening rubbish bags inside. You get your berries and some decent fitness at the same time.
    I have tried growing elderberries out here and although the plants grow and flower, I just cannot get them to berry. Does anyone know if there is a specific insect that pollinates the flowers? Either all my bushes are the same sex or my bees dont like them.

9. I don't know in what part of the globe you are currently residing but if it's arid during the summer months (Mediterranean or dryer) the plants will fruit very poorly or not at all; irrigation will be your answer.
    It is unlikely to be pollination as a cause for poor fruiting as both American and English Sambucus varieties are reasonably self-fertile and, for the most part, use the wind as the primary vector for pollination.

10. Forget the berries,pick the flowers in spring they make a lovely green tinged wine.

11. I am in the far north West of Scotland, believe me irrigation is not a problem. Neither is the temperature. I have managed to grow hops this year after being told that they would never grow, the test plants I put down all grew some three metres this, their first year. I have planted some five elder bushes, all relatively close together but I think I will bring on another hundred or so to see if that works. The big problem we have here is that any fruit grown outside is devastated by the birds. Its going to be a poor year for the brambles too; too little rain during the spring I think. Ah well, no bramble vodka this year.

12. I cannot stand the smell of elderflower for some reason. Better off as berries.

13. You want them, you got to get them. All it takes is to put some strong plastic gardening bags in your bergen, pick and stick your berries in them, go back to your car and fill the buckets with the berries from your bergan (with the strong plastic gardening bags) and go and get another lot following the same procedure. Simples. Not exactly rocket science.

14. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

you need one of these.

Attached Files:

15. I dunno...

[​IMG]