Humphrys. He will be missed. Thankfully.

Well it seems . . . he has gone!

At least, gone from the BBC Radio 4’s “ToDAY” morning programme.

Some have complimented his direct, forthright, interviews . . . even David Cameron, who earlier in today’s programme acknowledged that it was the responsibility of (such as) Humphrys “to hold people to account”.

However, like many others when I realise it is (to be) Humphrys behind the microphone on a morning, I physically “sigh” in anticipation of the abrupt, often irrelevant, personal, persistent, offensive, and agenda driven programme that is to follow.

I can do without such aggression at that time in the morning.

He will be missed. Thankfully.

. . . . Broadcaster John Humphrys is presenting his final edition of BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

His departure brings to a close his 32 years on the flagship show, during which time he built a reputation as a tenacious interrogator of politicians.

Thursday's programme will feature interviews with former prime ministers David Cameron and Tony Blair.

BBC director general Lord Hall said public figures would breathe "a sigh of relief" at Humphrys' departure.

Describing him as "a journalistic great", the director general wrote in The Daily Telegraph: "He is driven by a profound sense of justice and a deep distrust of authority. It means that he has always, unerringly, represented the listener and championed their right to know."

He added: "There is perhaps no greater tribute than the collective sigh of relief issued by leaders and public figures all over the country."

Humphrys has interviewed every prime minister on the programme from Margaret Thatcher to Theresa May, but has not grilled Boris Johnson since he came to power.

Today editor Sarah Sands joked that Mr Cameron, who is likely to be questioned about his decision to call the 2016 Brexit referendum, said he was coming on Thursday's programme "to make sure he got the old bugger out of the building".

"He doesn't let go," Sands said of Humphrys on Radio 4's The Media Show. "He's a terrier, so I think you should expect something exciting."

1568883064612.png

Humphrys with co-host Sue MacGregor in the Today production office in 1993

Last edited:
No doubt to be replaced by some "on-message" female journo.

Wonder if La Toynbee could be coaxed from her Tuscan lair?

That would cause an involuntary cull of Arrse political commentators.

BBC Radio 4 is that not for LE Officers & readers of the Daily Wail inbetween spying on the neighbors?
Katie Hopkins is in the frame as she is a gobby tart who likes winding people up & people will hate her more.

endure

GCM
I turn it off the minute I hear his voice because I know that I'll end up shouting at the radio.

Nick Clarke (RIP) was the consummate interviewer. Humphreys is like a bludgeon - Clarke was like a stiletto.

Katie Hopkins

I bumped into her many years ago at a radio 5 live, at an outside broadcast in Birmingham, at the university campus buildings, this was after her dramatic appearance on the apprentice, even then she was becoming a pain in the arse, she came across as argumentative, and somewhat self centred, during the debate, which was going out live, her demeanour was of a spoilt child, always hogging the limelight, now many years on, she has honed, if that is the correct description, her skills to a point that can be quite trying for any unfortunate who comes within firing range.

No more going "Watch out, watch out, there's a Humphry about!"

Although I have listened to it everyday for the last ½dozen years, I'm struggling to reconcile the John Humphries above with the dreary tired old fool I hear in my car each day

PS. I think Martha Kearney is worse.

Lacking Moral Fibre

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
Faux Cockeney and BBC flavour of the year Stacey Dooley could get the gig? its a mad world and its getting madder.

Faux Cockeney and BBC flavour of the year Stacey Dooley could get the gig? its a mad world and its getting madder.
I would, I bet she's a right dirty minx when she gets going

I bumped into her many years ago at a radio 5 live, at an outside broadcast in Birmingham, at the university campus buildings, this was after her dramatic appearance on the apprentice, even then she was becoming a pain in the arse, she came across as argumentative, and somewhat self centred, during the debate, which was going out live, her demeanour was of a spoilt child, always hogging the limelight, now many years on, she has honed, if that is the correct description, her skills to a point that can be quite trying for any unfortunate who comes within firing range.
Hopkins only survives because of the fools who support her malice.

No doubt to be replaced by some "on-message" female journo.

Wonder if La Toynbee could be coaxed from her Tuscan lair?

That would cause an involuntary cull of Arrse political commentators.
That useless carpet muncher from Breakfast Time is going to be looking for something to do after she's dropped her sprog.

Deffo worth a fiver at the bookies

I'll miss Humphries on R4. But I just don't like change. I miss the UK theme that used to be played before the Shipping Forecast. And Lillibullero before the News in the evening.

I'll miss Humphries on R4. But I just don't like change. I miss the UK theme that used to be played before the Shipping Forecast. And Lillibullero before the News in the evening.
Can't have REME strutting about like they own the place. That's the monkeys' job.

She's only one of these if she tries and passes herself off as the Strictly Pearly Queen, Gawd blimey Guv.

Unfortunately she doesn't, it's just that she's just form Luton, where they all talk like that.

Except the 40% of the population who prefer to call it Lutonistan

At one stage many of the programmes on Radio 4 had theme tunes - I particularly liked the likes of “On Your Farm” etc that I used to listen to early on Sunday morning. But lots of them had them. I miss those, I have to say.

I won’t miss Humphreys. Well, I don’t think I will. It depends on who replaces him to an extent.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
snipper_eyezz Reports & Promotion 108
naguere The NAAFI Bar 7
12volts The Intelligence Cell 26