Humphrey Lyttleton, Guardsman. RIP

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by EX_STAB, Apr 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Humphrey Lyttleton has passed on.

A jazz legend and one of the most distinctive comedy broadcasters of any generation, he was also commissioned in the Grenadier Guards and served during the Second World War at Salerno and elsewhere.

We are diminished.

2. Damn ....... surely no more 'I'm sorry I haven't a clue' now.

Gonna miss him (but probably not as much as Samantha).

RIP Humph :(

3. Sad news. I saw him and his band live at Middle Temple Hall back in 1995. All pushing 80, but they were outstanding.

4. A well loved man, respected and admired.
    john

5. The best deadpan delivery since Buster Keaton, at least the shows were recorded.

6. Mornington Crescent will never bee the same,Samantha must be devastated :cry:

RIP Humph

7. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I grew up listning to Humph,still do.Dad was a big fan.
    RIP Sir.

8. Regarding Samantha: You're probably correct because she always used to like to sit on Humph's left hand

9. Bye-bye Humph. Thanks for all the gnats' crotchets of music and mirth.

(I'm surprised we haven't heard from Sven yet. He must be devastated too.)

10. Monica as well as Colin Sells. They're all unemployed now

All I can say at this tragic moment is "Finchley Road and Frognal"

11. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

We mustn't forget the effect this will have on their most frequent correspondent, Mrs Privett. She too will be saddened.

One of the true broadcasting greats, and a fine jazzman. The panel will be devestated, and the Swanee whistle and kazoo may have to be put into retirement.

12. Monica as well as Colin Sells. They're all unemployed now

All I can say at this tragic moment is "Finchley Road and Frognal"

13. Good on you Humph. RIP mate. You did more than your bit to brighten up

this crazy world. You're gonna be missed.

14. Some Humph classics:

Pick Up Song - Samantha In The Gramaphone Library
    During the introduction to the game Pick Up Song on BBC Radio 4's I'm Sorry I Haven't Clue, the host, Humphrey Lyttleton, recounts a tale of scorer Samantha's time in the gramaphone library:

As is customary, Samantha went down to the gramaphone library earlier, where she says there's been some sort of misunderstanding. Of late, the usually friendly archivists haven't been very welcoming, claiming Samantha has been rubbing them up the wrong way. She says she had to give them a good mouthful, and that soon put them straight.

Record researcher Samantha visits the gramaphone library every workday, where she says she finds the old archivists like to indulge in petty bartering before they'll fetch her chosen disks. This could be irritating, but Samantha says she doesn't really mind if they want to dicker about five times a week.

Each week Samantha goes off to the gramaphone library, a labarinthine maze of dusty shelves and filing cabinets. The place can be a little daunting, but the kindly old archivists know their way around and provide Samantha with accurate maps. She says it's always good to know they're going to offer her good solid directions, which they prepare by hand before waving them under her nose.

As usual, Samantha has been down in the gramaphone library researching the teams' records, aided and abetted by the two kindly old archivists, Curly Smith and Chalky White. Samantha was saying she's been helping them rearrange their work rostas recently. Chalky was getting a bit worried that Samantha might reduce his overtime shift, but cheered up when instead he saw her shorten Curly's.

I'm sorry I havn't a clue, was the original comedy panel show which has spawned a lot of copies.Humph was the best host by far.