Humphrey Lyttleton, Guardsman. RIP

Humphrey Lyttleton has passed on.

A jazz legend and one of the most distinctive comedy broadcasters of any generation, he was also commissioned in the Grenadier Guards and served during the Second World War at Salerno and elsewhere.

We are diminished.

Damn ....... surely no more 'I'm sorry I haven't a clue' now.

Gonna miss him (but probably not as much as Samantha).

RIP Humph :(

The best deadpan delivery since Buster Keaton, at least the shows were recorded.

Mornington Crescent will never bee the same,Samantha must be devastated :cry:

RIP Humph

Detmold_Drunk said:
Mornington Crescent will never bee the same,Samantha must be devastated :cry:

RIP Humph
Regarding Samantha: You're probably correct because she always used to like to sit on Humph's left hand

Dunservin said:
Bye-bye Humph. Thanks for all the gnats' crotchets of music and mirth.

(I'm surprised we haven't heard from Sven yet. He must be devastated too.)
Monica as well as Colin Sells. They're all unemployed now

All I can say at this tragic moment is "Finchley Road and Frognal"

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
We mustn't forget the effect this will have on their most frequent correspondent, Mrs Privett. She too will be saddened.

One of the true broadcasting greats, and a fine jazzman. The panel will be devestated, and the Swanee whistle and kazoo may have to be put into retirement.

Dunservin said:
Bye-bye Humph. Thanks for all the gnats' crotchets of music and mirth.

(I'm surprised we haven't heard from Sven yet. He must be devastated too.)
Monica as well as Colin Sells. They're all unemployed now

All I can say at this tragic moment is "Finchley Road and Frognal"

Some Humph classics:

Pick Up Song - Samantha In The Gramaphone Library
During the introduction to the game Pick Up Song on BBC Radio 4's I'm Sorry I Haven't Clue, the host, Humphrey Lyttleton, recounts a tale of scorer Samantha's time in the gramaphone library:

As is customary, Samantha went down to the gramaphone library earlier, where she says there's been some sort of misunderstanding. Of late, the usually friendly archivists haven't been very welcoming, claiming Samantha has been rubbing them up the wrong way. She says she had to give them a good mouthful, and that soon put them straight.

Record researcher Samantha visits the gramaphone library every workday, where she says she finds the old archivists like to indulge in petty bartering before they'll fetch her chosen disks. This could be irritating, but Samantha says she doesn't really mind if they want to dicker about five times a week.

Each week Samantha goes off to the gramaphone library, a labarinthine maze of dusty shelves and filing cabinets. The place can be a little daunting, but the kindly old archivists know their way around and provide Samantha with accurate maps. She says it's always good to know they're going to offer her good solid directions, which they prepare by hand before waving them under her nose.

As usual, Samantha has been down in the gramaphone library researching the teams' records, aided and abetted by the two kindly old archivists, Curly Smith and Chalky White. Samantha was saying she's been helping them rearrange their work rostas recently. Chalky was getting a bit worried that Samantha might reduce his overtime shift, but cheered up when instead he saw her shorten Curly's.

I'm sorry I havn't a clue, was the original comedy panel show which has spawned a lot of copies.Humph was the best host by far.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
I'll miss Humph I was trying to get tickets for the shows
I can recommend the uncut CD's each episode is about 1 hour long and well worth a couple of quid

BTW Not sure if this is correct or urban myth

When the BBC broadcast the VE day celebrations from London a trumpet player could be heard playing for the crowd - it was Humph on leave

Samantha is devestated she was looking forward to getting her hands on Humph's horn and playing with it for a few more years yet

Is there a cemetary at Mornington Cresent - will the lads give the under takers directions?

EX_STAB said:
Humphrey Lyttleton has passed on.

A jazz legend and one of the most distinctive comedy broadcasters of any generation, he was also commissioned in the Grenadier Guards and served during the Second World War at Salerno and elsewhere.
. . . and can be seen playing his trumpet, in uniform (hanging froma lamp-post in Picadilly Circus if memory serves)), in newsreel footage of VE day in London.

We will remember the old poof, fondly, and forever. We are diminished, indeed.

THe funeral service should be good -

Abide with me sung to the tune of I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts

Requiem played on Kazoo and Swanee whstle

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Rest in Peace 'Sir' Humph.....a legend in his own lunchtime....dang, it was such a sunny morning till I read that.

Poor Samantha, nobody left to tickle her fancy.

Le Chevre