Humor a true idiot - TAX

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by MOANING_BARSTEWARD, Nov 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Tax. Popular topic at the moment. I am a very simple man(see my other posts for confirmation). I do not understand the tax system and my attempts to google it have resulted in brain freeze.

I earn a wage that I am taxed on. I then pay tax on any items that I purchase. I pay tax to drive my car on public roads. I pay tax to drive through areas that are congested. I pay tax to save the money that I have already paid tax on from my wage. I pay tax on any money that my relatives have paid tax on, if they decide to leave it to me when they die.

Would it not make sense to just pay a set rate that incorporates everything?

Why is the system set up like this? And does it benfit us this way?

Yours,

A true idiot.

2. It may be simpler, but I for one dont like the idea of a 90% basic rate of tax.

3. There are many benefits, it is mostly for those that are being paid from the tax income (soldiers included btw) but it also allows the common working pleb to fools themselves that they aren't paying something like 75% (or more) of their income in some form of tax or other.

Keeps us all nice and quiet.

Plus of course it enables the Government to add/increase any number of additional taxes whenever they can think up a new one.

4. I did leave a few out as I put them down to being completely stupid like the BBC TV tax. I enjoy living in this country and am prepared to make sacrifices for doing so, some of it is just stupid though.

5. Yep but as I said it enables the tax man to make up/hide/increase the tax take in such a way that you (and mostly everyone else) won't notice.

The "poll tax" riots shows what can happen if they get it wrong.

Much easier and apparently workable is a flat 25% tax* on all income above a certain level with no get out clauses of any sort allowed by anyone for anything. As used by a number of countries around the world.

*guesstimate only there.

• Like Like x 1

6. You forgot to mention that, as a car driver, you get charged a tax on fuel, and then have to pay tax (VAT) on that tax....

Would be interesting to calculate the total tax take from an individual over the course of their life (ie including death duties and/or the compulsory sale of assets to pay for old age care, etc), but I suppose most people would instantly stop bothering to work and simply go onto welfare. I saw one estimate that put it at about 82% of income over a lifetime...

7. I am expecting a rebate when they bring in the penis tax. There is a scale somewhere that tells you how many days/months you work before what you earn is yours (can't find link). I don't think this includes VAT and other taxes but if my memory serves the average is mid August where it used to be beginning of July.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

When implemented, the tax take goes up as the scope for tax avoidance is virtually nil. Economic activity also seems to improve as small and medium sized companies spend more time on useful activities such as producing stuff and less time on filling in needlessly complicated pieces of paper.

You can also bin many government systems and employees because the tax is far simpler to collect and administer. This saves on public sector costs.

Wordsmith

• Like Like x 1
  9. No flat rate taxes are randain libertarian bullshit.
    Progressive income tax rates have been used in this country since there was income tax.
    Its fair because after a certain amount of income food housing living expenses cease to be a what you spend the vast majority of your wages on. Unlike people further down the income scale are.
    Regardless of what liz jones of the daily mail definition of poverty is.

10. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

This is tax freedom day. In the UK it is calculated by the Adam Smith institute.

Today is Tax Freedom Day 2012 | Adam Smith Institute

We had to work 149 days this year to pay the tax we owed to the government. Only after 29th May did we start to earn anything for ourselves.

Wordsmith

11. Thanks WS wasn't sure if it was calculated from Jan 01 or Apr 01.

12. During my google searches I did come across this, which I felt was worth sharing:

Suppose that, every day, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten comes to £100.
    If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this...

* The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing
    * The fifth would pay £1
    * The sixth would pay £3
    * The seventh would pay £7
    * The eighth would pay £12
    * The ninth would pay £18
    * The tenth man (the richest) would pay £59

So, that's what they decided to do.
    The ten men drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement; until one day the owner threw them a problem.
    "Since you are all such good customers," he said, "I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily beer by £20." Drinks for the ten now cost just £80.
    The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes.
    So the first four men were unaffected. They would still drink for free.
    But what about the other six men? The paying customers? How could they divide the £20 windfall so that everyone would get his fair share?
    They realised that £20 divided by six is £3.33. But if they subtracted that from everybody's share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would each end up being paid to drink his beer.
    So, the bar owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man's bill by roughly the same amount, and he proceeded to work out the amounts each should pay.

* And so the fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (100% savings)
    * The sixth now paid £2 instead of £3 (33% savings)
    * The seventh now pay £5 instead of £7 (28% savings)
    * The eighth now paid £9 instead of £12 (25% savings)
    * The ninth now paid £14 instead of £18 (22% savings)
    * The tenth now paid £49 instead of £59 (16% savings)

Each of the six was better off than before. And the first four continued to drink for free. But once outside the restaurant, the men began to compare their savings.
    "I only got a pound out of the £20," declared the sixth man. He pointed to the tenth man, "But he got £10!"
    "Yeah, that's right," exclaimed the fifth man. "I only saved £1 as well.
    It's unfair that he got ten times more than I!" "That's true!!" shouted the seventh man. "Why should he get £10 back when I got only £2? The wealthy get all the breaks!"
    "Wait a minute," yelled the first four men in unison. "We didn't get anything at all. The system exploits the poor!"
    The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.
    The next night the tenth man didn't show up for drinks, so the nine sat down and had beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they
    discovered something important. They didn't have enough money between all of them for even half of the bill!
    And that is how our tax system works.

The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just
    may not show up any more. In fact, they might start drinking overseas where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier.
    For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
    For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible
    Now who's round is it ?????

• Like Like x 1
  13. Agree. However you could get round this to some extent by giving people a decent personal allowance - i.e. not taxing the lower waged at all.

It is a bit ridiculous for the government to be taking money from those who do not have enought to live on - even more so if it has to give back with the other hand.

14. Even more fun, did you know that the vapour reclaim pumps that are now mandatory in the uk returns the vapour to the tank so it can be sold again? That means you are paying 2 x tax on something you don't even get. Isn't that fun?

15. In Theory. What if no income tax until earnings reach, for example, £100,000pa. Instead increase VAT (except on utilities, fuel, food) to a higher level?
    Would it be possible to cover the shortfall while allowing people to spend there "extra" money where they wished?
    It would also bring a lot of non tax payers into the scheme.