HUMINT - Training/Roles/Entry

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by gulvain, Sep 14, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is there anyone who can tell me more about HUMINT, specifically what the training consists of and what the operational roles are. I am especially interested in HUMINT at 3 MI Bn. From an ignorant perspective the HUMINT role seems more stimulating than imagery analysis (not saying this is not important) in that you have to learn how to deal with a wide range of people. Would this be a fair comment? Are there any bad points about HUMINT? I am aware of the IC websites but there is very little info about the HUMINT side.
    Secondly, if anyone wants to offer me a little personal advice it would be appreciated. I have served (proudly) as an RAF Regiment Officer and am looking to transfer into Intelligence as a reservist. Does anyone know how easy it would be to transfer as an officer into 3 MI Bn. I don't have any specific intelligence experience, although I speak Spanish and Arabic and believe I have good potential. Thanks in advance.......
  2. Not my place. but shave the handlebars maybe?
  3. Gulvain, it helps if you are able to get on with people quite easily. If you need anymore details PM me.
  4. A cowboy hat and stetson helps, rugby shirts are always good instead of uniform, and being a wideboy will definately get a pass. Seriously - a very vaulable agency, always desperate for good people, but still has a 'Repton' image which it needs to shed.
  5. Dirt_Diver

Dirt_Diver LE Moderator

i'm still waiting for my bloody transfer!! the PSO told my RCMO that i need to a lance jack minimum before you'll look at me. :(

now i met guys on my pre tour trainning that transferred to int as pte soldiers (or troopers/gdsmn/gnrs/cfn, etc) and they got in and are doing well. also a few got in without a GCSE to their name and also did well.

i'm convinced there's a conspiracy to stop me from transferring 8O! (or maybe it's just a mate of mine who is already in... and talked me into making the hop)

also being in sandier climes may have something to do with it... :?

*removes tinfoil hat*

and breathe!
  6. If you are a serving member member AB, SAC or LCpl and above you can volunteer. There are some other conditions. There is a short, balding but very nice recruiting guy who will be happy to chat. The MI Bns can get you his number.
  7. Dirt_Diver

Dirt_Diver LE Moderator

why the restriction on pte soldiers volunteering? after all DE's don't join up as LCpl's... plus the corps is expanding...

this short balding but very nice recruiting guy would be very handy to talk to indeed... does he make a good brew?
  8. Dunno about that, but he's the mutt's nuts in a jester's costume...
  9. Dirt_Diver

Dirt_Diver LE Moderator

even better. i bet mess functions are a real hoot, then.

so, next serious questions... how do i get in contact with this short, balding but very nice recruiting chap, who looks the mutt's nuts in a jesters costume?

what's the reason for only allowing LCpl's and above vonulteering? (my unit are in no rush to promote me. they won't even put forward for a cadre course! w ankers!) us pte's/gnr's/tprs/cfn's, etc are feeling left out :(
  10. Check your PM.
  11. Dirt_Diver

Dirt_Diver LE Moderator

cheers. reply on its way now.
  12. If you look here - ArmyNet. You can access the Army Electronic Library, where you'll find QR's, which in turn will tell you all you need to know about transfering between Corps, as well as having links to the relevant AGAI's.

Whilst the Int Corps is increasing in size, with the additional manpower coming from both DE recruitment and Transferees, the problem arises where there is an abundant supply of Junior Ranks, but an insufficient number of Senior Ranks to manage the masses. One way of addressing this problem would be to focus on transferring personnel in to the Corps at Cpl or Sgt level. A Cpl/Sgt transferee would have some experience of management/leadership, which would be a transferable skill that the Corps can utilise.

Personally, I think the Corps should look at the individual and what they have to offer. It could be that a soldier has not progressed in rank in his/her current Arm or Corps, due to the individual not being suitable for that role, whereas they have the necessary skills, aptitude etc and are ideal for employment within the Int Corps.

Also, see QR 9.213 concerning applications to transfer whilst serving overseas.

And, see AGAI 48.002/48.003 concerning deficiencies in Corps manning and CEG's. The fact that OPMI's leave training as LCpls would mean that any vacant posts within the Corps would be LCpl and above.
  13. Dirt_Diver

Dirt_Diver LE Moderator

okay then. looks like i need to find a new capbadge to transfer to. what a shame. i was looking forward to joining too.
  14. I wasn’t trying to put you off. I was simply highlighting possible problem areas that you could come across when you are applying to transfer to the Int Corps. There are always ways and means of getting around the restrictions and conditions for transfer.
    If all else fails, write a nicely worded letter to the Director Int Corps, stating that you are keen to transfer to the Int Corps and train as a linguist, but the restrictions on transferees are preventing you from doing so. The Corps is desperately short of linguists at the moment, that should at least draw his attention to the issue. It doesn't matter if you actually want to be a linguist or not. You wouldn't have to commit to being a linguist, as they aren't putting soldiers through language training straight from OPMI 3. What’s the worst that can happen? You could getting a b0llocking for using your initiative…
  15. Dirt_Diver

Dirt_Diver LE Moderator

i heard today application no.2 has been f ucked off by the corps again.

maybe a small letter to the dir. is in order after all... i was thining the letter: Z