• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Humane dispatch?

ugly

LE
The shortest Mossberg 500 barrel readily available in the UK is 24". I think the mod is integral, so you wouldn't be able to shorten it.
My favourite tool for despatching caged foxes is a single shot Baikal 410 with a removable mod. You just screw a collett onto the barrel, and the mod screws onto that. With 2" 9gr cartridges it's very quiet and doesn't sound like a gunshot at all.
I know you didn't want single shot, but it is a good tool for the job and as you already have a slot for a pistol, you might be able to cut one of these down to concealable proportions. (I don't know the in and outs of S5/S1 in relation to short shotguns though.)
A small detachable mod seems ideal! Maybe that winchester lever action .410 would work

The .22 has a massive ricochet risk
Absolutely, and never having had to do a humane despatch yet, I would rather use something else for close in work.
They mentioned a bolt gun that is powered by a 0.22 cartridge. Great, if 'issued' to a qualified person who is on-call to deal with deer hit by cars etc.

ugly

LE
Absolutely, and never having had to do a humane despatch yet, I would rather use something else for close in work.
They mentioned a bolt gun that is powered by a 0.22 cartridge. Great, if 'issued' to a qualified person who is on-call to deal with deer hit by cars etc.
Shellvoke and Cash captive bolt gun. OK for a slaughter man