Humane dispatch?

ugly

LE
I had a 3 year unsuccessful battle with my force firearms managers over swapping my .410 pistol for a .17 single shot for humane dispatch. They were adamant that I had to use the shot pistol. I dont like it, noisy, dangerous and one shot away from scrap in my opinion. I was thinking that as I dont need concealment to be as high on the list I could revert to a short barreled .410 shotgun (which was how I bought the pistol back in the late 80's) and opt for a hushpower Mossberg 500 with a shortened barrel and no butt just a pistol grip. Now that I imagine would be like my current pistol, section five on a section one exemption. I cant as a normal RFD do the work but I could order it altered that way perhaps or just swap the butt out later. I also cant scrap my pistol so I will need to either hand it in or dispose of at a section 5 dealer.
1st Question, is this possible.
2. How does the hush power mod attach?
3. how short do Mossberg make barrels in .410?
Time to myther York guns I suppose!

I had a 3 year unsuccessful battle with my force firearms managers over swapping my .410 pistol for a .17 single shot for humane dispatch. They were adamant that I had to use the shot pistol. I dont like it, noisy, dangerous and one shot away from scrap in my opinion. I was thinking that as I dont need concealment to be as high on the list I could revert to a short barreled .410 shotgun (which was how I bought the pistol back in the late 80's) and opt for a hushpower Mossberg 500 with a shortened barrel and no butt just a pistol grip. Now that I imagine would be like my current pistol, section five on a section one exemption. I cant as a normal RFD do the work but I could order it altered that way perhaps or just swap the butt out later. I also cant scrap my pistol so I will need to either hand it in or dispose of at a section 5 dealer.
1st Question, is this possible.
2. How does the hush power mod attach?
3. how short do Mossberg make barrels in .410?
Time to myther York guns I suppose!
I assume you don’t just want a .32 (.38 etc) two shot revolver which is what is often used?
https://assets.publishing.service.g..._on_Firearms_Licensing_Law_April_2016_v20.pdf
For revolvers and slaughtering instruments under section 3 of the 1997 Act, it is suggested a .32 single (or two) shot revolver is suitable for most circumstances, though larger calibres such as the .38 may
be considered if the applicant has to deal regularly with large or dangerous animals
Moderators for humane despatch is normally restricted to race courses.

ugly

LE
To be honest a moderated single shot hmr was ideal but the old bill here were adamant that I couldn't have one. I used to take a full size hmr in a soft case but Balham got a bit hairy walking around after dark having struggled to find parking near where the fox trap was set. Nowadays on the farm I trap lots so a .410 is more practical but I still need a moderator as the noise is a bit much and I cant wear ear protection and be aware of my surroundings.
The NGO bloke that wrote the guidance on humane despatch for the home office agreed with me regarding the hmr. Its a pity that the Home Office and Lewes were unable to do the sensible thing. I have a folding stock hmr on its way now so I can restart the urban fox trapping. Its been on hold for a while.
The farm though is a good place for a .410, it would allow me flexibility. My shepherd has a .32 and is in the process of upgrading to a .38.
I dont feel I need one for the small amount of large animals I despatch, I can usually get away with a rifle.

As you are not too bothered about concealment why not go for a lever action .357mag , shorten it to 12" barrel / 24" OAL . thread it and you can use a mod if you want, all sect 1, alternative build a 24" OAL bolt action in any cal you want.

ugly

LE
I could use .410 in a 45 long colt lever action, that would give me more flexibility. I dont need solid shot often enough to warrant a rifle bigger than the .17hmr folder thats on its way!

I could use .410 in a 45 long colt lever action, that would give me more flexibility. I dont need solid shot often enough to warrant a rifle bigger than the .17hmr folder thats on its way!
Dont you think a .17 HMR is too HV / risk of exiting ? I`d prefer something big and slow such as the 45LC loaded down to 1040fps with lead HP`s.

ugly

LE
Dont you think a .17 HMR is too HV / risk of exiting ? I`d prefer something big and slow such as the 45LC loaded down to 1040fps with lead HP`s.
The HMR tended to explode on fox heads inside cage traps reducing ricochet risk from clients patios to an acceptable level.
As for Welrod, FFS I couldn't get a single shot break barrel .17HMR past them.

To be honest a moderated single shot hmr was ideal but the old bill here were adamant that I couldn't have one. I used to take a full size hmr in a soft case but Balham got a bit hairy walking around after dark having struggled to find parking near where the fox trap was set. Nowadays on the farm I trap lots so a .410 is more practical but I still need a moderator as the noise is a bit much and I cant wear ear protection and be aware of my surroundings.
The NGO bloke that wrote the guidance on humane despatch for the home office agreed with me regarding the hmr. Its a pity that the Home Office and Lewes were unable to do the sensible thing. I have a folding stock hmr on its way now so I can restart the urban fox trapping. Its been on hold for a while.
The farm though is a good place for a .410, it would allow me flexibility. My shepherd has a .32 and is in the process of upgrading to a .38.
I dont feel I need one for the small amount of large animals I despatch, I can usually get away with a rifle.
CZ .17 HMR 455 American Synthetic Moderated Bolt Action New Rifle for sale. Buy for £575.
Integrally moderated .17HMR (no open authority for a moderator), get a S5 dealer to ‘remove’ the stock and apply a pistol grip.

ugly

LE
I have a folding stock coming for a break barrel single shot .17HMR so I dont need that option at the moment. I wasn't planning on putting sights on which is why a little pump .410 with a decent mod could be an option for squirrels etc around the farm, if I use a rifle then its really rare to get a second shot off in the wood. Well it is with a .22-250.

ugly

LE
I'll just break my neck on the quad, simple and cheap!

ugly

LE
The shortest Mossberg 500 barrel readily available in the UK is 24". I think the mod is integral, so you wouldn't be able to shorten it.
My favourite tool for despatching caged foxes is a single shot Baikal 410 with a removable mod. You just screw a collett onto the barrel, and the mod screws onto that. With 2" 9gr cartridges it's very quiet and doesn't sound like a gunshot at all.
I know you didn't want single shot, but it is a good tool for the job and as you already have a slot for a pistol, you might be able to cut one of these down to concealable proportions. (I don't know the in and outs of S5/S1 in relation to short shotguns though.)

Last edited:
Having finally got around to doing my DSC1 a week ago, and learning a lot of fact and hard earned wisdom I didn't have, one thing I picked up on was about humane dispatch.
It was mentioned that the smallest calibre was 0.22 , which I thought a bit odd as my 0.17HMR has far more wallop than the 0.22 subsonic.

Having finally got around to doing my DSC1 a week ago, and learning a lot of fact and hard earned wisdom I didn't have, one thing I picked up on was about humane dispatch.
It was mentioned that the smallest calibre was 0.22 , which I thought a bit odd as my 0.17HMR has far more wallop than the 0.22 subsonic.

ugly

LE
The .22 has a massive ricochet risk