'Human rights' at its best again...

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Empty_Vacuum, Aug 6, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well it looks like the UN is claiming that the eviction of the Dale Farm travellers is at risk of breaching human rights legislation.

"Plans to evict people living illegally at England's largest travellers' site may breach human rights law, a United Nations expert has warned.

Basildon Council has given the 200 people living on 51 unauthorised pitches at Dale Farm, Essex, until the end of August to leave.

The UN's Raquel Rolnik has now called on the UK government to find a peaceful solution to the matter.

The council has said planning law was breached.
    'Leave the site'

A Department for Communities and Local Government spokesman said: "The British courts have found that the developments at Dale Farm are in breach of planning law and Basildon District Council is within its rights to evict travellers from the site.

"Anyone living in unauthorised developments at Dale Farm should now respect the decision of the courts and leave the site within the specified period."

More than 400 travellers currently live at the former scrapyard, which is between Billericay and Basildon.

Basildon Council has said that about half of the 100 pitches do not have planning permission and said previously it had carefully considered the circumstances of the site.

Travellers began to set up pitches illegally on the land in 2001.

Ms Rolnik, the UN's special rapporteur on housing, said in a statement that evictions could "constitute a grave breach of human rights if not carried out with full respect for international standards".
    'Human rights obligations'

Ms Rolnik and Rita Izak, the UN's independent expert on minority issues, have now called on government ministers to provide "adequate alternative housing for 86 Irish traveller families faced with forced eviction from Dale Farm, Essex, before the end of August".

"We urge the UK authorities to halt the evictions process and to pursue negotiations with the residents until an acceptable agreement for relocation is reached in full conformity with international human rights obligations," said Ms Rolnik.

She said the number facing eviction could include as many as 110 children.

"It is now of utmost importance that the rights of the residents to fair compensation for their lost homes and property and the provision of adequate alternative housing are fully respected," she said.

The UN rights experts said they were sorry that continuing negotiations with the Dale Farm residents to try to find alternative land for the evicted families were abandoned a year ago.

The experts said that "cast aside a valuable opportunity to reach a just and lawful solution to this longstanding dispute".

People living at the site have previously said they were "distressed" at the situation.

Policing the clearance of the site is expected to cost up to £9.5m."

BBC News - Dale Farm traveller evictions 'may breach human rights'
  2. **** 'em! If they want a permanent site make them buy a house and pay rates and taxes like the rest of us.
    • Like Like x 7
  3. I really think this is a joke too far now. Human Rights, they are squatters. Now the UN want us to give them compensation and a nice new house.

To be honest though some of the quotes for eviction and relocation, 9 million, 18 million are staggering. Thats at least £45k to evict each of the 200 people.

Sick joke, go there with guns, march them onto buses, take them to a field in Wales, and provide some cheap tents.

I can understand they have a way of life, but its not, they are long term squatters and should be sent away. Gypsies should have the same rights as everyone, not many more.

9 million, what a joke. That could pay for a new helicopter.
  4. Which itself would be a breech of their human rights on 'racial' grounds, as Irish Travellers are acknowledged to be a specific ethnic group.
  5. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

The UN's Special Rappateur is entiltled to her views. But the local authority will have taken into account the requirements of the Human Rights Act 1998, especially Art 8. Right To Respect For Private & Family Life.

"8.2 There shall be no interference by a public authority with the exercise of this right except such as is in accordance with the law and is necessary in a democratic society in the interests of national security, public safety or the economic well-being of the country, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection on health and morals, or for the protection of the rights and freesdoms of others"

(my bold).

The Rappateur can go and do one.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Completely agree. The problem in cases like this, is that Traveller Rights are seen as being greater precedence than local settled dwellers. Often this isn't the case, but there's a long line of due process, which actually defends everyone, not just Travellers, which has to be followed.
  7. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

**** right off, **** off now, and **** off quietly.

You can keep them in England.
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Must be some unused space in Ireland?
  9. Send them back to Ireland. Saw on that program on Channel 4 not long ago they had the Irish tri-colour proudly flying. I've got nothing against the Irish but if they love Ireland so much they can go back there.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. "Ms Rolnik, the UN's special rapporteur on housing, said in a statement that evictions could constitute a grave breach of human rights if not carried out with full respect for international standards".

Could, may, nothing saying WILL breach human rights. They are just ******* shroud waving. Move the pikey twats to Central Europe where they will no doubt be accepted with open arms.
  11. Or even move them next door to Ms Rolnik, Im sure she will welcome them as her new neighbours.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. If they don't like it here and feel persecuted, can't they just go abroad and claim asylum?
    • Like Like x 2
  13. I can't be bothered to read the previous posts in case I stumble across a 'Limp/Dim'; Euro Soviet Union twerp; a Certifiable Oaf or some other form of fvck-wit prepared to defend the indefensible.

If folk want to be 'romany', then let them fvck off to Romania!

PS: I am crosser than normal because The League of Nations just beat Wales at rugby!

PPS: I still mean what I posted above.
  14. The due process of law will have been followed. If there is violence it will be instigated by the illegal occupants not the Authorities exercising their legal rights.
  15. There you are i fixed that for you