Human Compost

That's nothing compared to the original methods of obtaining nitrates. The idea was to compost everything in an enclosed shed, and I mean everything. Subtle hint, there were no toilets in those days, in fact no rubbish disposal of any kind. The smell must have the operators of such schemes very popular with the neighbours.
In the early days of gunpowder I seem to recall that men were appointed to go anywhere to hunt up nitrates with no refusal being allowed.

Rather like the early days of the railways in the UK when surveyors could go anywhere to do their job.

That's nothing compared to the original methods of obtaining nitrates. The idea was to compost everything in an enclosed shed, and I mean everything. Subtle hint, there were no toilets in those days, in fact no rubbish disposal of any kind. The smell must have the operators of such schemes very popular with the neighbours.
At one point, Leicester City Council had a plant operating that turned the contents of the city's sewers into compost for gardens.
It was called Lescost & I have mentioned it before.
We had a couple of tons delivered & it closely resembled peat based potting compost.
grew some lovely veg...

In these enlightened times, I suggest us Morlocks cease referring to the Eloi as "future compost" & call them "lunch" instead...

In the early days of gunpowder I seem to recall that men were appointed to go anywhere to hunt up nitrates with no refusal being allowed.

Rather like the early days of the railways in the UK when surveyors could go anywhere to do their job.
The King's Saltpetre Men. They could dig anywhere, inside barns, churches or houses and would solicit bribes not to dig out the floors of houses. Most houses had earth floors, I think people would just piss on the floor and let it soak in. The soil became very rich in potassium nitrates, saltpetre. Saltpetre was the oxidising agent used to make gunpowder and constituted 75% of the finished product.

Last edited:
The King's Saltpetre Men. They could dig anywhere, inside barns, churches or houses and would solicit bribes not to dig out the floors of houses. Most houses had earth floors, I think people would just piss on the floor and let it soak in. The soil became very rich in potassium nitrates, saltpetre. Saltpetre was the oxidising agent used to make gunpowder and constituted 75% of the product.
Horse piss too I believe.

The King's Saltpetre Men. They could dig anywhere, inside barns, churches or houses and would solicit bribes not to dig out the floors of houses. Most houses had earth floors, I think people would just piss on the floor and let it soak in. The soil became very rich in potassium nitrates, saltpetre. Saltpetre was the oxidising agent used to make gunpowder and constituted 75% of the product.
It was thought that the urine of wine drinkers was better at producing nitrates. As indicated above the activities of the petre-men made them almost as popular as the plague.

AL1. Having had a look at your link, I found that some of the info is not quite correct or at least incomplete. The term "Chinese snow" referred to a phenomenon observed before the monsoon came. Rotting piles of vegetation produced a white covering, nitrates, which were washed away as soon as the rain came.

Last edited:
Well, if I remember correctly, some pig farmers in that part of the world have been at it for a while..............

.......and not only in the States, Essex has a history of recycling dead humans, frank "Mad Axman" Mitchell's body was never found, reputed to be pig food, ( sprung from the moor, by the twins, he got out of control, and had to be disposed of)

Horse piss too I believe.
I believe any source of manure or urine could be used, bat droppings accumulated in caves, pigeon loft sweepings, etc. were used. The process became virtually obsolete with the discovery of natural deposits of sodium nitrate in Chile, Chile saltpetre, which could be converted into potassium nitrate/saltpetre (by dripping through potash, dissolvrd from hardwood ashes, I think).

Last edited:
Does it contain any recognisable DNA? Would it confuse a cadaver dog?

Just asking out of curiosity and not because the dealer at number 15 may go missing soon
Sub-contract. Go somewhere on holiday and I'll come over to the UK on holiday.

Sub-contract. Go somewhere on holiday and I'll come over to the UK on holiday.
The alleged user and supplier of chemical substances for recreational purposes at number 15 was definitely alive at 17:40 (proof is on my dash cam)
If anything were to happen to him between 0900 and 16:30 I have an iron clad alibi at a secure hospital where I'm working this week.

Just sayin'

The alleged user and supplier of chemical substances for recreational purposes at number 15 was definitely alive at 17:40 (proof is on my dash cam)
If anything were to happen to him between 0900 and 16:30 I have an iron clad alibi at a secure hospital where I'm working this week.

Just sayin'
What we going for: Assassination, silenced .22 back of the head; accident, broken neck, slipped on a banana skin at the top of the steps on a pedestrian bridge; or, just plain old vanishing,.........involving a cattle prod, plasti-cuffs and a barrel of caustic chem's?

In all seriousness does local drug squad know about him? Write in to the Chief Constable anonymously (coz some dope will always accidently give away your name) and tell them, big it up a bit so he seem's like the main Colombian connection to the UK and then stand back.

What we going for: Assassination, silenced .22 back of the head; accident, broken neck, slipped on a banana skin at the top of the steps on a pedestrian bridge; or, just plain old vanishing,.........involving a cattle prod, plasti-cuffs and a barrel of caustic chem's?

In all seriousness does local drug squad know about him? Write in to the Chief Constable anonymously (coz some dope will always accidently give away your name) and tell them, big it up a bit so he seem's like the main Colombian connection to the UK and then stand back.
The police are round on a regular basis, as he has a "variety of health issues" that involve officers talking through the letter box or just abseiling* in through the curtainless windows.
We've not had any 3am screaming matches in the street between him and some unknown woman. If anyone is interested apparently he "ruined my facking life' and he's "a kaaaaaant"

He's a fantasist. Has no job, he's off his face... I've discovered one of bugsys long lost relatives who wasn't killed twice.

*Possibly a slight embellishment.

I understand, that a nice steel blade, is en vogue, in various parts of the country at present.

I understand, that a nice steel blade, is en vogue, in various parts of the country at present.
See, I miss that, the subtleties, finesse and more personal approach of the UK, here they just wait by your car and shoot you.

Latest Threads