Huhne - after (Sir) Fred, will the government condemn one of their own?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by FORMER_FYRDMAN, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Yes, because the coalition is a fierce upholder of standardsgovernment

7 vote(s)
  2. No, because it's business as usual and MPs look after each other regardless

25 vote(s)

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

2. What's Huhne's situation got to do with the Honours system?

(Edit to add - apologies for the extraneous 'government' in the poll options, please edit accordingly if you know how)

I wasn't talking about the punishment but the need to be seen to be punishing.
  5. I don't think anyone in a position to interfere with the CPS decision to prosecute or not, gives enough of a toss about Huhne one way or the other, to make the effort of bringing improper influence to bear. I think it will be a genuine CPS decision.
  6. Either way, the length of time it's taking the rozzers/CPS to make a decision makes you wonder just how on the ball they are.

It potentially alters the balance of the Coalition if they lose Huhne and it raises the possibility of having to bring back that other Lib Dem goblin who got pinged for dodgy claims to restore the balance - not an easy call politically.

That's true - I thing the Telegraph has used this headline on three separate occasions - it's get like the death scene in a Victorian melodrama. I think it's giving someone other than Mr. Huhne some sleepless nights.
  9. I'm pretty certain that this frantically awful man will be let off any charge. This will mean he will continue to ensure that all our lights go out in about ten or twelve years time. This man is dangerous!
    • Like Like x 2
  10. If Huhne gets prosecuted I'm going to start looking intently to the East and keeping a watch our for blokes on Camels.
  11. No man should be above the law!
  12. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Except that's precisely what they want to do. They'll think that Laws has "served his time" and can be brought back into the govt, but they need to get rid of a Lib Dem to do it. And presumably Laws has learned that he's not he minister of state and to keep his mouth shut in public. After all, the Telegraph didn't discover his little indiscretion without help from a certain Chancellor's supporters...
  13. There will be insufficient evidence to warrant a prosecution.

Maybe the woman will be prosecuted for wasting police time?
  14. Its a good thing our monarch is female then.