Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hugo Boss claims Scouse slogan infringes copyright

The nicks I worked In were In Litchfield, and 2 in Featherstone. One for grown ups, and the other 2, YOI nicks.

The north/south divide was quite noticeable in the 70's/80's but diluted in the later years.

The division line was Birmingham(ish), North of Brum BOSS, South of Brum GUV.

Prior to Fresh Start, the opening of the Prison Service College near Coventry etc etc. It used to be said that SCREW's were trained at Wakefield and OFFICERS were trained Bristol.

Once the Prison Service College was opened a lot of Northern Officers were shipped down south and as a result of overcrowding up north, so were a lot of Villains.

My wing in an establishment down south used to have phases where we were totally full of Northern Villains shipped out due to the overcrowding.

Having 51 cells full with 102 Scouses who wanted to be back in the 'Pool' was interesting especially when you threw the red/blue unfriendly rivalry in to the mix.

They'll just have to ask Lord Jürgen of Anfield (I assume his peerage will be in the post sooner rather than later) to have a go at them. He's mental enough to take on Roy Keane in an argument, so the purveyors of uniform to genocidal maniacs will be easy pickings...

Slime

LE
I'll leave all this Boss stuff for the commoners.

Now if you want something "Posh"...

She might struggle there, the word was in existence long before she was born, and had a 100% understood meaning.

POSH was an acronym used by wealthy sea voyagers to describe their cabin arrangement to catch the most sun. Port Out Starboard Home :)

Those wealthy types who could afford the best cabins became known as posh for the above routine.

Hugo Boss not only supplied uniforms to the Nazis, they also funded the fledgling NSDAP. Why are companies allowed to benefit from their Nazi past? Shipyards, steelworks, aircraft firms - fair enough as they were legitimate war industries, but Hugo Boss? No!

Come to that AEG provided equipment used in the extermination camps, and IG Farben, suppliers of Zyklon B, still exist under another name.

Especially with the Nazis attitude to people of colour, surely it's racist for any lawyer to take on Hugo Boss as the defendant

POSH was an acronym used by wealthy sea voyagers to describe their cabin arrangement to catch the most sun.
Alternatively to give the passenger a view of the coast rather than a monotonous seascape as they sailed between Britain and Africa/India/Far East.

POSH was an acronym used by wealthy sea voyagers to describe their cabin arrangement to catch the most sun. Port Out Starboard Home :)

Those wealthy types who could afford the best cabins became known as posh for the above routine.

Lionel Jeffries walt.

"The true origin of 'posh' is uncertain. The term was used from the 1890s onward to mean a dandy. George and Weedon Grossmith's The Diary of a Nobody, which began publication in serial form in the English satirical magazine Punch in 1888, has a character called Murray Posh, who is described as 'a swell'. The book is a satire of the times and most of the character's names are intended to match aspects of their personality, so it is quite probable that the Grossmiths used the name Posh with the meaning we currently know. The said Murray certainly looks posh enough.

The first recording of 'posh' in print that seems unequivocally to fit the current meaning of the word is a cartoon which contains this dialogue between an RAF officer and his mother, also in Punch, September 1918:"

Oh, yes, Mater, we had a posh time of it down there."
"Whatever do you mean by 'posh', Gerald?"
"Don't you know? It's slang for 'swish'"

They had a pop at a brewery from Swansea for calling a brew "Boss Beer"

Personally I think the Boxhead cnuts should shut the fuck up and remember who won round 2.

Slime

LE

Lionel Jeffries walt.

"The true origin of 'posh' is uncertain. The term was used from the 1890s onward to mean a dandy. George and Weedon Grossmith's The Diary of a Nobody, which began publication in serial form in the English satirical magazine Punch in 1888, has a character called Murray Posh, who is described as 'a swell'. The book is a satire of the times and most of the character's names are intended to match aspects of their personality, so it is quite probable that the Grossmiths used the name Posh with the meaning we currently know. The said Murray certainly looks posh enough.

The first recording of 'posh' in print that seems unequivocally to fit the current meaning of the word is a cartoon which contains this dialogue between an RAF officer and his mother, also in Punch, September 1918:"

There is a slight issue with your timeline and origin. :)

The term POSH in the way I described was used for passengers on the SS Great Britain, so due to the ships history this means pre 1881. :)

The word was written with chalk on passengers luggage.

Serves you right for using QI as a source ;)

There is a slight issue with your timeline and origin. :)

The term POSH in the way I described was used for passengers on the SS Great Britain, so due to the ships history this means pre 1881. :)

The word was written with chalk on passengers luggage.

Serves you right for using QI as a source ;)

I used QI as source simply for the klaxon used to signify jumping in with both feet with a popular but incorrect nugget of information.

As for your "chalk mark" theory,

" The same goes for the alleged chalking of POSH on steamer trunks. The evidence for this is even less likely ever to come to light. The finding of luggage from that period with the appropriate chalk marks is hardly evidence, as the marks could have been added ten minutes previous to the find.

We would at the very least need photographic evidence that could be dated to the period of the Raj - needless to say, no such photos have come to light. The lack of any citation of 'port out, starboard home' in any of the numerous letters and literary works that remain from the British Raj is a more convincing argument against that origin. "

I'll leave all this Boss stuff for the commoners.
Now if you want something "Posh"..[URLunfurl="true"]Redirect Notice

A bit like Walt of Disney fame. Back in the sixties his lawyers sent a letter to a Scot informing him to change his name ASAP, as it was in breach of copyright. The Scot answered saying as he was born before WD started ,they should reconsider their position or he might return the favour. His name, D. Duck. Funnily enough he never heard from them again.

Slime

LE
I used QI as source simply for the klaxon used to signify jumping in with both feet with a popular but incorrect nugget of information.

As for your "chalk mark" theory,

" The same goes for the alleged chalking of POSH on steamer trunks. The evidence for this is even less likely ever to come to light. The finding of luggage from that period with the appropriate chalk marks is hardly evidence, as the marks could have been added ten minutes previous to the find.

We would at the very least need photographic evidence that could be dated to the period of the Raj - needless to say, no such photos have come to light. The lack of any citation of 'port out, starboard home' in any of the numerous letters and literary works that remain from the British Raj is a more convincing argument against that origin. "

I don’t have photos, but I learned this during tours of the SS Great Britain, I’d guess that the info given on the ship and museum that comes from ships/makers/owners records is pretty sound.

The ship is well worth a visit, and there is far more to see and learn at the site now than in years gone by.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Something similar happened when BMW bought the Mini brand. It went after all the companies with 'Mini' in their names (sorry, branding - that should be 'MINI') over copyright.

A lot of the little aftermarket and customising companies, many of whom had been in business for years, were forced to change name. This, despite BMW no longer making the original Mini and it being no threat to its business.

Perhaps this idiot should also have a go at the American use of the word 'boss' to describe something which is very good.

There is though a peculiar arrogance to trying to claim this word as somehow belonging to the company. [SARCASM] I suspect that it long predates the company. [/SARCASM]

Perhaps it's better if he just stops being an idiot and shuts up.

I'd finger his misses

1601454330679.png
1601454443076.png

The big gym queen . . .

I don’t have photos, but I learned this during tours of the SS Great Britain, I’d guess that the info given on the ship and museum that comes from ships/makers/owners records is pretty sound.

The ship is well worth a visit, and there is far more to see and learn at the site now than in years gone by.

But no actual records, just salty old seadog dits, right?

Thanks for clearing that up.

Latest Threads