Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Huge USAF expansion plan

U.S. Air Force Seeks Largest Expansion Since Cold War

USAF Secretary Heather Wilson announces plans for a huge expansion of the force structure. Concentrates on big AF stuff - more than doubles bomber squadrons and hence the B-21 Raider buy, 40% increase in tanker squadrons and "space", lesser but significant uplift (about 35%) in fighters (all F-35s) and SOF support, two extra drone squadrons, one extra transport squadron. The "space" units are mostly going to be (cyber)space units and the expansion there is bigger, as some missile badges are going to be disbanded and reformed in that speciality.

No idea how much of it Congress will actually pay for. It does seem very "China" what with all the big jets. Also, pilots are back, let me show you this watch.

Le_addeur_noir

On ROPS
On ROPs
I wonder how this will affect the proposed closure of RAF Mildenhall ( home to a tanker and SOF wing- both of which feature in large increases).

I understand the construction of new facilities for the 100th ARW at Ramstein AB, Germany has been slowed down.

Mildenhall will retain flying activities up to at least 2024 under current plans.

The USA needs it to contain the threats to our national security. I fully support Secretary Heather Wilson's plan.
You are the biggest threat to your nation's national security, you cheeto-coloured fuckwit.

It's the balance between "more tankers" and "more tankers pointing at China", isn't it?
Obama's original defence plans included a "pivot to Asia", which was to refocus US military efforts against China. Then things went downhill in the Middle East and eastern Europe which sidetracked that plan. This news sounds like an effort to revive it.

I suspect they will get some of the extra money they are looking for, but not as much as they want. Some resources will be diverted from Europe and the Middle East, but not enough to make up the shortfall. The US will try to get allies from Europe and Canada to move forces into the Far East, but will receive largely token efforts due to lack of interest (except possibly the UK).

Overall, the US see China as their sole real future rival for power and influence in the world, and they will become increasingly agitated at any signs of their own status as the sole superpower being challenged.

Yep Hall closure is being put back to 2024 or even later, last word on the streets from the enthusiasts. One old gent, and enthusiast heard a rumour from someone else that the parking stands (bloody hundreth area } were being expanded to accomodate newer permi larger tanker. KC-46 came to mind but probably not for another decade.

Only one unit is moving albeit to the Cotswolds and thats Rivet Joint - u boats etc..

Theres issues with the Bloody Hundreth somewhat moving to either Ram or Spang, partially some resistance from local goverment, partly no construction at Ram as Le Add says

The Air Commandos meant to be moving to Spang but last I heard thats been put on hold.

Rest of 3rd AF ..Alc and Moles staying where they are and not moving to Croughton (no room) . Am sure Menwith Hill is not going anywhere nor Fairford or Welford..twas last week, another Buff deployment.

The 'heath is expanding albeit for F35 ops. Feltwell is still where it is.

Subsequently there has been regular recent deployments of F-22 to the Heath and Spang, I am wondering if someday there will be a permanant F-22 unit in Europe?

Slightly digressing the US Navy will be a permanant presence at Lossie for P-8 Poseidon ops. Hence budget set aside for construction of facilities etc..

US Submarine Hunters To Operate From RAF Lossiemouth

cheers

Le_addeur_noir

On ROPS
On ROPs
Yep Hall closure is being put back to 2024 or even later, last word on the streets from the enthusiasts. One old gent, and enthusiast heard a rumour from someone else that the parking stands (bloody hundreth area } were being expanded to accomodate newer permi larger tanker. KC-46 came to mind but probably not for another decade.

Only one unit is moving albeit to the Cotswolds and thats Rivet Joint - u boats etc..

Theres issues with the Bloody Hundreth somewhat moving to either Ram or Spang, partially some resistance from local goverment, partly no construction at Ram as Le Add says

The Air Commandos meant to be moving to Spang but last I heard thats been put on hold.

Rest of 3rd AF ..Alc and Moles staying where they are and not moving to Croughton (no room) . Am sure Menwith Hill is not going anywhere nor Fairford or Welford..twas last week, another Buff deployment.

The 'heath is expanding albeit for F35 ops. Feltwell is still where it is.

Subsequently there has been regular recent deployments of F-22 to the Heath and Spang, I am wondering if someday there will be a permanant F-22 unit in Europe?

Slightly digressing the US Navy will be a permanant presence at Lossie for P-8 Poseidon ops. Hence budget set aside for construction of facilities etc..

US Submarine Hunters To Operate From RAF Lossiemouth

cheers

At a recent press conference prior to the recent RIAT airshow, the USAFE commander was asked when Mildenhall will close, "2027" came the reply.

I wonder in the same question posed in 2022 will elicit the reply" 2030"?.

Moving from a capability- to a threat-based development programme. Reality bites.

'With stagnant budgets on the horizon, the U.S. Air Force is hurtling toward “the most difficult force structure decisions in generations” and must cancel programs and sacrifice some of its existing aircraft inventory to prepare for a potential fight against Russia or China, the service’s top general said Monday.

'A future war with either country could entail combat losses on par with those of a major conflict like World War II, Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Charles “CQ” Brown wrote in a paper titled “Accelerate Change or Lose,” which outlines his vision as the service’s new top uniformed leader. Brown became chief of staff of the Air Force on Aug. 6.

'Although the Defense Department has focused on war with an advanced, near-peer nation since 2016, Brown raised concerns that the Air Force’s sense of urgency is not strong enough and warned of potential mission failure unless the service accelerates the pace of change.

'A “ruthless prioritization” of the service’s requirements is in order, he said.

“We must reframe platform-centric debates to focus instead on capabilities to execute the mission relative to our adversaries,” he wrote. “Programs that once held promise, but are no longer affordable or will not deliver needed capabilities on competition-relevant timelines, must be divested or terminated. Cost, schedule, and performance metrics alone are no longer sufficient metrics of acquisition success.”

At a recent press conference prior to the recent RIAT airshow, the USAFE commander was asked when Mildenhall will close, "2027" came the reply.

I wonder in the same question posed in 2022 will elicit the reply" 2030"?.

Mildenhall is safe as nothing’s going, as Spang is losing 52nd FW with F-16 to Aviano etc etc

Speaking of Aviano, their 31st FW are in town to play for next few weeks here having arrived week ago. 31st, in particular 555th FS ‘Triple Nickel’ famous 2 and half decades ago with Basher Five Five - Captain Scott O Grady shot down over Bosnia.

Here are my photos of 510th ‘Buzzards’ playing at the Heath,

cheers

37DD5C83-2F95-4424-9C1B-74579A84F983.jpeg
9FEC5349-8364-4D68-B39C-EBA421A1615E.jpeg
EACAA32F-F4F4-4FED-8EEE-445D283BF8C1.jpeg
E0E9F890-4052-47A8-9E17-0EE67FB02740.jpeg
164B6253-5A7D-40AF-A0B3-A26923C91268.jpeg
87F8AEA2-D6D1-4293-AEB6-35E0BDDD8D2D.jpeg
20D0C586-5FC5-4CC1-A919-6E6ADC41EEC2.jpeg
D10B3213-958D-49B5-B677-6F05FBED437C.jpeg
8E9B713D-5BDB-481E-AE75-2C3A29AF830E.jpeg
C3ECC25A-00F7-4FF9-AA3D-54065656BEA5.jpeg

Le_addeur_noir

On ROPS
On ROPs
Mildenhall is safe as nothing’s going, as Spang is losing 52nd FW with F-16 to Aviano etc etc

Speaking of Aviano, their 31st FW are in town to play for next few weeks here having arrived week ago. 31st, in particular 555th FS ‘Triple Nickel’ famous 2 and half decades ago with Basher Five Five - Captain Scott O Grady shot down over Bosnia.

Here are my photos of 510th ‘Buzzards’ playing at the Heath,

cheers

View attachment 501891View attachment 501892View attachment 501893View attachment 501894View attachment 501895View attachment 501896View attachment 501897View attachment 501898View attachment 501899View attachment 501900

The closure of Mildenhall has been cancelled.

Word on the street is Sculthorpe may be getting arrester cables installed to allow Lakenheath diversions, presumably. I know the 352nd at Mildenhall operate there, as do RAF C-130s.

4 squadrons at Lakenheath once the 2 F-35A units stand up. The 493rd will be losing it's F-15C/D, and presumably be one of the F-35A units. The 495th being the 4th unit?.

I see a former Kadena MC-130J arrived at Mildenhall for the 67th SOS this week, and one of the old 67th MC-130Js departed back to the states or Kadena.

Word on the street is Sculthorpe may be getting arrester cables installed to allow Lakenheath diversions, presumably. I know the 352nd at Mildenhall operate there, as do RAF C-130s.

4 squadrons at Lakenheath once the 2 F-35A units stand up. The 493rd will be losing it's F-15C/D, and presumably be one of the F-35A units. The 495th being the 4th unit?.

I see a former Kadena MC-130J arrived at Mildenhall for the 67th SOS this week, and one of the old 67th MC-130Js departed back to the states or Kadena.

WRT to Sculthorpe Brize‘s finest C-17A dropped in few weeks ago making ti the first jet transport landing after 3 decades in the days when C-5 and C-141 dropped in for exercises.

352nd had a large Non descript container that was parked near the tower and the other year, curious pikeys broke in nicked the quad bike and NVGs. Quad bike was recovered but the NVGs were not. Incident was not made public for The obvious reasons.

Runway will need to be Beefed up properly for FJ used if arrester gear will be Installed. Also the MoD Plod to also beef up security and have a permi presence In case pikeys come in and nick or damage anything. I recall several years ago (god knows how) but local pikeys damaged ILS on RAF Honington and the MoD thereafter didn’t bother to fix and remove all stuff as 48th could have moved over there when the Heaths runway was being repaired.

However why spend the dosh when they can divert to CGY, EGUN, or Marham? Lemme ask around ..

F-35A facilities construction is taking place as I see when I go to EGUL and as things ramp up, there’s a dedicated faciltiy for the workers off Wangford road. It is more of a Security thing with construction crews park up there, go through Airport type security checks, then bussed into the base.

cheers

Last edited:

Ride of the Valkryies

495th named

Latest Threads