Huge section of HMS Queen Elizabeth leaves shipyard

I've got this nagging doubt about the idea of building a ship that has single seams that have no overlaps. I hate to think what the engineering downsides, apart from cost, to providing some jobs in Gordon's back yard were, very reminiscent of the gerrymandering that led to the space shuttle's boosters coming apart.

I've got this nagging doubt about the idea of building a ship that has single seams that have no overlaps. I hate to think what the engineering downsides, apart from cost, to providing some jobs in Gordon's back yard were, very reminiscent of the gerrymandering that led to the space shuttle's boosters coming apart.
£15 million for the new crane bought in from China
£35 million to make No1 Dock big enough to fit the Queen Elizabeths.

Harland and Wolff in Belfast, Inchgreen on the Clyde and Cammel Laird at Birkenhead all have docks that are big enough
Could have saved at least £50 million building them in Belfast.

Mmmm ... parts being built in different locations and being brought together for assembly ... hope it does not end up as a slightly larger version of this poor chap's experience ...

Canoe.jpg

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
£15 million for the new crane bought in from China
£35 million to make No1 Dock big enough to fit the Queen Elizabeths.

Harland and Wolff in Belfast, Inchgreen on the Clyde and Cammel Laird at Birkenhead all have docks that are big enough
Could have saved at least £50 million building them in Belfast.
But Rosyth has a long history of supporting RN ships as well. It would have cost more than £50 million to learn the skills to do that in Belfast.

And don't mention Cammell Laird - they had the last 2 ships they built for the RN taken off them and sent to Scotstoun for completion, they were so late.

But Rosyth has a long history of supporting RN ships as well. It would have cost more than £50 million to learn the skills to do that in Belfast.

And don't mention Cammell Laird - they had the last 2 ships they built for the RN taken off them and sent to Scotstoun for completion, they were so late.
Though it kills me to say it, that wasn't the scallies. Their last ship was Campbeltown and their last boats were Unicorn & Unseen. You may be confusing CL with the unfortunate end to the ersatz re-animation of Swan Hunter where Lyme Bay was towed to Scotstoun for completion. That was more to do with the (alleged) refusal of the new owner to employ anyone who had previously worked there and who might have known what they were doing..........

H&W managed to get their last military ship (Fort Vic) bombed by the IRA. More importantly, there is nothing left there other than the dock & crane.

Due weather avoidance, the section is now being barged from A to B via C. Around the South of England.

At one point during the transit, it will be relatively close to shipyards on the Brest peninsula/Atlantic coast
where Mistral Class Carriers were built. On time and on budget. The distance between Saint-Nazaire and
Brest is not much further (by sea) than the shortest distance (by road) between Govan and Rosyth. :mrgreen:
So? Would you like the French to build British carriers?

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
they don't do them very well. we should have got them done in gdansk and saved a few billion or even better build loads and flogged some to the sovs or china. this working with america all the time isn't working out so well, far simpler if we had left them fighting the japs while we got on with uncle jo :)

Though it kills me to say it, that wasn't the scallies. Their last ship was Campbeltown and their last boats were Unicorn & Unseen. You may be confusing CL with the unfortunate end to the ersatz re-animation of Swan Hunter where Lyme Bay was towed to Scostoun for competition.
Please Chief! The boats full of water!!!!