Huge section of HMS Queen Elizabeth leaves shipyard

Discussion in 'MoD News' started by MoD_RSS, Nov 6, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. [​IMG]

A team of crack fresh air spotters take photos of the worlds first fresh air carrier.
  3. I've got this nagging doubt about the idea of building a ship that has single seams that have no overlaps. I hate to think what the engineering downsides, apart from cost, to providing some jobs in Gordon's back yard were, very reminiscent of the gerrymandering that led to the space shuttle's boosters coming apart.
  4. Errr, no. Just contemporary worldwide shipbuilding practice.
  5. Well that is stealth for you. They did say the F35 would be low observable.
  6. £15 million for the new crane bought in from China
    £35 million to make No1 Dock big enough to fit the Queen Elizabeths.

Harland and Wolff in Belfast, Inchgreen on the Clyde and Cammel Laird at Birkenhead all have docks that are big enough
    Could have saved at least £50 million building them in Belfast.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Last big one they built in Belfast sank on its first run out.

Though I do agree with you
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Mmmm ... parts being built in different locations and being brought together for assembly ... hope it does not end up as a slightly larger version of this poor chap's experience ...

9. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

But Rosyth has a long history of supporting RN ships as well. It would have cost more than £50 million to learn the skills to do that in Belfast.

And don't mention Cammell Laird - they had the last 2 ships they built for the RN taken off them and sent to Scotstoun for completion, they were so late.
  10. Like this?
  11. The Australians get a whole hull delivered....

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Why the red and white? Why didn't they paint the whole ship grey?
  13. Fine, if you want to build little ships......
  14. Nah. Thats what some of the US yards still use!