HUGE: Obama calls for Israel's return to pre-1967 borders

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Muntie McSporrin, May 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Holy heck!

Whether or not you agree with this policy, this is massive news:

“The borders of Israel and Palestine should be based on the 1967 lines, with mutually agreed swaps, so that secure and recognized borders are established for both states,” he said. “The Palestinian must have the right to govern themselves and reach their potential in sovereign and contiguous state.”

Mr. Obama’s words were a strong signal that the United States expected Israel — as well as the Palestinians — to make concessions to restart peace talks that have been stalled since September. For instance, he seemed to rule out a key Israeli demand — for an ongong Israeli military presence in the Jordan Valley — when he called for a “full and phased withdrawal of Israeli military forces.”

“Precisely because of our friendship, it is important that we tell the truth,” Mr. Obama said. “The status quo is unsustainable, and Israel, too, must act boldly to advance a lasting peace.”
  2. He'll change his mind next week, once someone has told him about the jewish lobby in America.
  3. He's pissed off because Netanyahu made a monkey of him over the settlements.

This time tomorrow all the 'secretly a Muslim' stories will be going batshit in the press.
  4. Antenna twitching. So George Mitchell, US envoy to middle east quit just in time. Obama's on a roll. Loved the timing of this announcement just as Benjamin Netanyahu is about to embark on a Washington visit. Do you think Ben had some advance warning of this, judging by his icy reaction I reckon the conversation when he arrives at the White House will be 'interesting'.
  5. Is that the correct word to use?
  6. It said on one news site that I read that Obama is coming around to the European view of how the Arab-Isareli conflict should be settled. I don't know if that's an accurate assessment, but Israel will never agree to go back to their pre-67 War borders and if Obama insists, he's just lost the Jewish lobby here and any hope he might have had for a second term. Which in my view is not a bad trade-off. We give the shaved chump the bum's rush and try to save our country from going bust by electing somebody who doesn't think we can spend our way to financial security.
  7. It is hardly just the "Jewish Lobby" in America that supports Israel.
  8. Well, he's had a lot on his plate:

Crashing cars while stoned.
    Drugs again.
    Public toilets.
    Wham reunions.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. He said Mitchell not Michael !
  10. Really? Well spotted, because I couldn't have noticed the difference between a washed up singer and an international envoy, but thank you for your diligence and keen eye.
  11. Humour is lost on you son.
  12. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Where's the Middle East peace envoy while all this is going on?

Shouldn't Blair be in the middle of this?
  13. Several Yanks I know , when I have asked why the US always supports Israel, have said words to the effect of

'All major US Universities are financed by massive Gifts from Jewish Citizens'

Don't know if it's true but would explain an attitude to me.

14. Somehow I can't see BN going for it. It seems that the best way to voted in in Israel is to promise more land for settlements etc and if the civpop don't get what they want........look in.