Huge increase in flight costs!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Due to go on holiday to USA in October.

Being nice and organised,booked flights at start of year via Expedia. Cost us, £393 for adults and £365 for a child. Inverness to Amsterdam, to Atlanta to Orlando. Seemed reasonable enough price.

Due to a change in circumstances want to take an extra child with us. Expedia won't help because they can't book a minor on own, airline say was booked via travel agent therefore go back to them.
Contacted a local travel agent who have matched in the flights, but the cost is going to be £1,632.97

Seems rather a steep increase in costs! 4 and a half times what we paid for Tiny Miss F.

Being nice and organised,booked flights at start of year via Expedia. Cost us, £393 for adults and £365 for a child. Inverness to Amsterdam, to Atlanta to Orlando. Seemed reasonable enough price.

Due to a change in circumstances want to take an extra child with us. Expedia won't help because they can't book a minor on own, airline say was booked via travel agent therefore go back to them.
Contacted a local travel agent who have matched in the flights, but the cost is going to be £1,632.97

Seems rather a steep increase in costs! 4 and a half times what we paid for Tiny Miss F.
The irony of a dentist posting about costs. ;)

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru

Nearer to departure I’d guess.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Brexit.

(Dives for hard cover)

I am but a lowly Public Dental Service dentist employed by the health board.
So does mine, he works part time & drives a shiny new Porsche. I know you work in the colonies & are governed by the Krankies, but seriously you
L be on a fair wedge.

Or is it just your inner jock, squeak when you walk, coming out...

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
So does mine, he works part time & drives a shiny new Porsche. I know you work in the colonies & are governed by the Krankies, but seriously you
L be on a fair wedge.

Or is it just your inner jock, squeak when you walk, coming out...
I draw your attention to the figure mentioned under popular employer salaries on this page Dentist Salary in United Kingdom | PayScale

I draw your attention to the figure mentioned under popular employer salaries on this page Dentist Salary in United Kingdom | PayScale
My heart bleeds, not. Ave 50k, add a bit of private on the side. Absolutely creaming it.

Don’t begrudge it, you’ve put the study in, but seriously you should be at least paying premium economy for the entire brood, if not Business class.

Somewhat misleading title, disparity or difference would be more accurate and have had me less worried.
Jarrod's comment about the timing highly pertinent and god knows what other considerations in their pricing algorithms.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Take it higher in the travel agency and if they don't budge, take it to the airline. Those that shout get heard.

On an unrelated note, I'm back in love with trains rather than flying. London to Glasgow, train cancelled. Got one 27 minutes later, arrived ten minutes late, Virgin refunded without prompting, the full first class fare. Amazed.

Plus BA were on strike anyway, the cnuts.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Don't pay for the extra kid, just shove it in a suitcase and book it as hold luggage!

I recently flew with Expedia and wanted to make a change. The airline (Air Transat) didn’t want to know and referred back to Expedia who refused. I will book direct next time.

I recently flew with Expedia and wanted to make a change. The airline (Air Transat) didn’t want to know and referred back to Expedia who refused. I will book direct next time.
Expedia sucks! Took me about a month to get my money back from them, only after threatening to send an email out to to my whole company to never book with them.

Don't pay for the extra kid, just shove it in a suitcase and book it as hold luggage!
I don't want to mention by name a certain child missing in Portugal, but do you think they got a refund on the plane ticket?

Why take kids with you? Can't you hire some there?

Last edited:

Potential avenue:

1. Debook one of the adults.
2. Book flight for same dates with that adult, new child.

Could also figure out what the expensive leg is. I highly doubt it's ATL > MCO, there's at least 4x airlines flying that route, just about one flight an hour with Delta. Could also check bucket 'n spade charter airlines for London (any) to Orlando direct. Or Tampa, it's not far.

Probably need to make a decision on whether cost, convenience or all traveling together is the biggest priority.

Likely much cheaper.

Latest Threads