Huawei HarmonyOS

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
The US tried to exclude Huawei/ZTE as threats to national security because of their involvement in core 5g equipment.
Yes, that I know, but as soon as they stop making them there I'll be first in the queue.

And I would not trust a Chinese OS either.

I've been working with one of the big power companies recently and they are putting a lot of effort into ensuring that they are not vulnerable to cyber attack, one of the interesting bits being that they are taking a long hard look at some Chinese hardware in the system and aiming to replace it due to potential security issues.

They could be described as "vulnerabilities" but one of my contacts described some of the security flaws as "trapdoors" that would allow someone to hack in very quickly and easily.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
It just depends which you think is least trustworthy, the Chinese or Google (or Apple if you like their shiny-shiny)
I've been running LineageOS on Android devices for several years, of course, you need to also block the apps auto-reporting to Google / China as well, Adguard for Android does a reasonable job of it.

It just depends which you think is least trustworthy, the Chinese or Google (or Apple if you like their shiny-shiny)
I've been running LineageOS on Android devices for several years, of course, you need to also block the apps auto-reporting to Google / China as well, Adguard for Android does a reasonable job of it.

Caveat emptor!

'Belgium’s intelligence services have issued a spy-risk warning against three Chinese smartphone brands, L’Echo and De Tijd newspapers reported on Saturday.

'Smartphones produced by Xiaomi, Oppo and OnePlus are very popular among Belgian consumers, but according to State Security Spokesperson Ingrid Van Daele, the intelligence services wish to draw consumers’ attention to the potential threat of espionage when they are used, even if no concrete cases have been identified.'

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
I had a number of android phones, but I got a good offer on an iphone some years ago and I find Apple OS easier to use on a phone than android.

I'm not particularly an apple fan boy as I use Windows / Linux on my PCs and probably won't buy an apple computer.

I'm looking to minimise my personal exposure to Chinese crap generally, e.g. my stereo is made in the UK (Quad) as are the speakers (Epos). Our washing machine was made in Germany as was the cooker. There is a company that makes washing machines in the UK (Ebac) and when the Bosch breaks that's what it will be replaced with.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm not particularly allied to any OS, however, Apple seem to hobble any privacy focussed software to allow their own 'metrics' to be measured - same goes for Amazon. Those two, at least, only use your data for their own purposes, unlike Google, facebook, etc. that sell it on to whoever will pay. LineageOS is based on Android (AOSP) and is open source - and heavily scrutinised by the paranoid geekdom. Of course, a secure OS is fine, but is pointless if the apps report back to Google etc. anyway.... same goes for anonimity - you can use as many Tor nodes as you like, but once you log in to arrse..... your activity is logged somewhere and sold on as a matter of course.