Huawei HarmonyOS

Looks like it's well received in China and expanding fast. Reports of non Huawei companies wanting to install it on their handsets instead of Google Android. I will be able to install it on my old P10 lite, so I might try it on that first. I'll also check to see if it will install on my old Huawei mediapad. Would you install it on your phone when it's released globally?

Looks like it's well received in China and expanding fast. Reports of non Huawei companies wanting to install it on their handsets instead of Google Android. I will be able to install it on my old P10 lite, so I might try it on that first. I'll also check to see if it will install on my old Huawei mediapad. Would you install it on your phone when it's released globally?
Said a representative of the People's Republic of China today.

Like I said, I have an old P10 lite knocking about, I might give it a go and see if it's any better than Google, I'm not in a high powered job or doing anything I shouldn't so I've got no secrets the Chinese would be interested in. ;)

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer

Who are they mentioning out of interest? Certainly pretty much every other Chinese manufacturer (Xiaomi/POCO, Realme, OnePlus, etc.) just lays their own launcher over stock Android and Huawei's a bit of an outlier.

endure

GCM
Will it run any UK banking/Finance apps? Are they available in the Harmony store?

endure

GCM
I suspect that Xiaomi and the like might use it on their Chinese sales but they'd be doing themselves a massive disservice if they adopted it for use outside of China.

Xiaomi is, at the moment, the world's 2nd largest supplier of handsets after Samsung. They're not going to throw that away for the sake of an operating system from a competitor.

I suspect that Xiaomi and the like might use it on their Chinese sales but they'd be doing themselves a massive disservice if they adopted it for use outside of China.

Xiaomi is, at the moment, the world's 2nd largest supplier of handsets after Samsung. They're not going to throw that away for the sake of an operating system from a competitor.
They will have been watching the events with Huawei very closely.

endure

GCM
They will have been watching the events with Huawei very closely.
The difference between Xiaomi and Huawei/ZTE is that Xiaomi only makes domestic stuff whereas the other two make core 5G equipment as well.

The difference between Xiaomi and Huawei/ZTE is that Xiaomi only makes domestic stuff whereas the other two make core 5G equipment as well.
It's not what they make, it's the fact that the US tried to exclude a Chinese company from their (and others) market.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
It certainly won't tempt me away from the iphone when my contract is due up.

In fact given the opportunity I'd move away from anything made in China.

endure

GCM
It's not what they make, it's the fact that the US tried to exclude a Chinese company from their (and others) market.
The US tried to exclude Huawei/ZTE as threats to national security because of their involvement in core 5g equipment.

endure

GCM
It certainly won't tempt me away from the iphone when my contract is due up.

In fact given the opportunity I'd move away from anything made in China.
The Iphone that's made at Foxconn in Zhengzhou? ;-)

Latest Threads