HSE Lead ammunition proposals

Piekey

Clanker
Monolithic bullets work ok if you dont expect them to function like lead.

You need to go down 20% in bullet weight and push them very hard in order for them to expand.I used them exclusively last year and they worked well enough, they do ricochet like mad and perform poorly in a cross wind as longer ranges.

Monolithic bullets work ok if you dont expect them to function like lead.

You need to go down 20% in bullet weight and push them very hard in order for them to expand.I used them exclusively last year and they worked well enough, they do ricochet like mad and perform poorly in a cross wind as longer ranges.
I take it you were rolling your own so to speak, what calibre, seating (I was told you need to step them back) and MV etc did you experience?

Do you have rough idea of drift at hill ranges compared to lead?

I can see drift and lack of expansion in the traditional sense being a royal pain in the arse, particularly if your looking to batter decent numbers of hinds and don’t have the confidence that you can pull the trigger and move straight onto the next beast.

Piekey

Clanker
I take it you were rolling your own so to speak, what calibre, seating (I was told you need to step them back) and MV etc did you experience?

Do you have rough idea of drift at hill ranges compared to lead?

I can see drift and lack of expansion in the traditional sense being a royal pain in the arse, particularly if your looking to batter decent numbers of hinds and don’t have the confidence that you can pull the trigger and move straight onto the next beast.

I was using them in my 8X57 JS,I took two stags in Scotland and a Whitetail buck in Finland,as well as four Cariboo in Alaska.I used my usual method of seating the bullet just short of the lands.I have not personally heard of stepping back the bullet but there are quite a few brands of projectiles on the market now,I was using barnes X with the blue polymer tip.

You make a good point regarding shooting one animal and getting straight onto the other. I shot a young Cariboo buck square in the middle of the chest from about 120m,when I recovered from the recoil he was trotting away to rejoin the flock when he lost oil pressure and collapsed. Any lead core soft point in 8mm would have dropped him on the spot in my experience.

I don't have any data on the wind drift,the homogenous bullets start out fast but drop off rapidly. They are popular in Europe where almost all the hunting is done under 200m,actually its generally under 100m as you probably know.

I dont trust the Homogenous bullets totally,they perform more like FMJ which is fine for Bears and Moose where the secondary projectile effect of a bone strike or deep penetration is desirable.Light bodied game such as Deer and to a lesser extent Boar I would choose lead core any day.

Latest Threads