HSBC

I'm currently toying with paying smack rats to defecate on the carpet in the local branch of the HSBC

work banks with them, Personally I spend a few grand on purchases every month & we pay £32 for each card held, which pisses me off

I have a issue with a transaction on commercial credit card, can't resolved with the vendor

card service do not answer the phone 1.5hrs wait but refer me to live chat
the branch are unable to help as its a commercial card
the web site doesn't work correctly
live refers chat me to card services

I'm very pissed off

Should I just use MCOL against the HSBC (its only £390 ish)
Does the FCA cover commercial stuff ?

Financial Ombudsman Service.

Free to you but they get hit with a £250.00 charge.

chimera

LE
Send fill setting.

Awol

LE
I joined them a year ago, and immediately went through ridiculous hoops to register for online banking.

It took me an hour and by the time I’d completed it, I’d forgotten two of the three passwords required. Normal passwords weren’t enough, they had to be unreasonably complicated, with upper case, lower case, numbers and punctuation marks and a minimum number of characters. My sister, who somehow did do it successfully months ago, says she has to log in on both her phone, and her laptop, simultaneously, to get online with them.

It’s just not worth it to go through it all again to reset the passwords so I’m taking the simpler option, and changing banks.

Nat West.
Online banking is a piece of piss with them.
Any issues I've had have been resolved inside of 24hrs.
Same with TSB. Dead easy. I do my mum’s banking on Nationwide’s website for her with no bother either.

I joined them a year ago, and immediately went through ridiculous hoops to register for online banking.

It took me an hour and by the time I’d completed it, I’d forgotten two of the three passwords required. Normal passwords weren’t enough, they had to be unreasonably complicated, with upper case, lower case, numbers and punctuation marks and a minimum number of characters. My sister, who somehow did do it successfully months ago, says she has to log in on both her phone, and her laptop, simultaneously, to get online with them.

It’s just not worth it to go through it all again to reset the passwords so I’m taking the simpler option, and changing banks.
Been with them since the Midland, over 40 years, on the corner of Netherfield Road, Mr.Sumner was the manager.
Been online for some time, nice little key pad thing, all on laptop.
iPhone for text security check only.
Key pad went down during coronavirus, got a new one from the local branch all sealed in a bag.
Helpline got me back up and running within the hour, bit of a wait but I think he was working from home, he sounded dreadful (not well).
Got his name and sent a thank you to customer service.
Saving interest rate is poor but it is just a pay in/pay out account now and for credit card payment.

FirstDirect do a good current account, online and phone banking is a piece of piss and their customer service staff aren't based in Bangalore. Although they're part of HSBC they seem devolved far away enough to not be as shit.

Financial Ombudsman Service.

Free to you but they get hit with a £250.00 charge.
@monkey123,
What @Egg on Leggs says,

BUT
Make sure you have attempted to go through HSBC's complaints process first.

The first question the Ombudsman will ask, is what was the result of your complaint?
You are supposed to allow up to 8 weeks for a complaint to be resolved by a Bank.
Look up the HSBC Commercial services complaints procedure and follow that.

Up to you, but, if I was in your situation, I would not threaten HSBC with the FOS option until you get to the final stage of their complaints procedure.
Probably teaching you to suck eggs, but:
Be polite and keep it factual at all times.
Keep a record of all communications including time spent on hold, on a call or how long it took to draft an email/letter, etc.
Use email/letters whenever possible. If you have to phone someone, insist on following that up with an email/letter detailing what was discussed/agreed, etc.

Complaints | Business Banking | HSBC UK

Houseman

Old-Salt
Been with them since the Midland, over 40 years, on the corner of Netherfield Road, Mr.Sumner was the manager.
Been online for some time, nice little key pad thing, all on laptop.
iPhone for text security check only.
Key pad went down during coronavirus, got a new one from the local branch all sealed in a bag.
Helpline got me back up and running within the hour, bit of a wait but I think he was working from home, he sounded dreadful (not well).
Got his name and sent a thank you to customer service.
Saving interest rate is poor but it is just a pay in/pay out account now and for credit card payment.
I to have been with them 40 years never had any problems. I stopped using the key pad about year ago when I bought a smart phone. I now do most of my banking on my phone using fingerprint login.
If I need to logon using my computer I get the number that you would normally get from the key pad from the phone.
I never contact them by phone because I have always found it to be a pain so I use live chat and get it sorted that way.

Stop pretending to be young and down with the kids: we all know you meant 'key setting'.
Well...

...”Key setting” would refer to BATCO, “3F” as an example. Which code line to read off, on the paper sheet.

”Fill setting” would refer to an electronic setting for online crypto equipment. In theory, everyone should be on the same edition and page, set at 2359Z, so there’s no need to send the correct fill setting. But if you’ve ballsed it up and put tomorrow’s fill in today, you most definitely don’t tell the receiving station that and provide the page that you’ve filled. “Reference my last, cancel, out”. You then put the correct fill in, and re-code the message so it is not exactly the same. Re-TXing the same content with two different fills and identifying it as such in clear is an absolute no-no.

And yeah, banks do make life difficult with their stupid password requirements. What gets my ferking goat is that some/most require uppercase and lower case, a number and a punctuation mark. So you choose something like “LovelyBoo85!” that you’d easily remember but meets the requirements. The next site you go to disallows special characters. So you have to remember that that site and that site alone has a different password structure. You obviously fail to do that, so 3 months later you try and login, get locked out after three failed attempts. They then want to send you a code to your mobile, which you didn’t provide because you don’t want some cnut from Delhi calling to ask if you have warranty cover on your car every other day. You then have to call in, wait in line to speak to some other cnut from Delhi mysteriously called “Greg” or “Simon”, and then try and explain that all you need to do is reset your password. Good luck with that :)

Just logged onto my HSBC accounts using one of two recognition features. ‘Face ID’ or ‘Digital Secure Password’ on a smart phone. All pretty simple albeit to be fair, setting up the on-line access to accounts I’ve had for years was a minor ‘nause.

I too was a Midland customer all those years ago.

Somewhere on here is an account of my experience with them and their switching service.
In a nutshell it wasn't good, but the £200 they credited to my account which I withdrew then closed was very nice.

I'm running 3 current accounts now, Halifax, Smile and TSB.
The Smile account is a legacy one from when the switching service first came in and Halifax didn't shift everything, But it did prove handy when applying for things as I could bump up my credit score with a bank account that's decades old until the Halifax caught up. The TSB one was a short term higher interest rate for a year which I'll be swapping to whoever is offering the best bribe/interest rate shortly.

I am having a similar issue with Metro Bank at the moment with regard to an online purchase gone bad.

I have always found them to be very helpful and efficient with most things, but not in this case. I have been bounced from online to telephone helpdesk and back again. I have sent copies of everything they have asked for, which they have denied receiving despite them quoting from same. They seem to have lost the ability to communicate within their own organisation and I've been forced to go through the same processes repeatedly.

I am inclined now to believe that Sec 75 claims are something they would rather not deal with. A dispute has occurred between the purchaser and the retailer. Their only involvement is being the provider of the credit card used in the purchase. The way they see it is it should not really be any of their concern. In the case of a cash purchase it would not be. Any resolution is likely to represent a cost to them, either in assisting in the resolution of the dispute or else by having to provide a refund.

Unfortunately for them, the law sees it quite differently and has determined that they have a responsibility under the law. This responsibility is reinforced by the ultimate arbitration of an ombudsman.

This does not mean that they will approach the matter with any degree of resolve or enthusiasm. Perhaps they believe that by faffing around, the complainant will just give up and go away. I'm sure that a proportion of them will.

Last edited:

smallbore

Old-Salt
I use on-line accounts for various business, personal and club accounts with HSBC, Lloyds, Barclays and Nat West.
Lloyds is my preferred on-line bank (Barclays and NatWest close second) but HSBC is far and away the worst and the most difficult to deal with for things like changing signing authority. And I am just about to close the last HSBC account I have to deal with.

Latest Threads