HSBC Fraud - Not a customer? You cant even report it

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Good CO, Feb 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Just had an astounding conversation with HSBC. Good CO (re company bank account) "I believe money has been taken fraudulently from my account and the reference is HSBC..... My bank have asked me to confirm that this was taken by you and to report the fraud to you"

"Sorry sir, but we cannot help you as you are not a customer"

"What? It was fraud through your bank..... etc etc"

"Sorry sir we cannot help"

Incredible, is it normal for banks not to care that they have been involved in fraud or is it just HSBC?

2. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

it sounds to me as though they are taking the DPA a little *too* seriously. have you reported this to the police and/or your own bank already? I would let them deal with it, as HSBC are unlikely to talk to you directly regarding it. and tbh, as far as I know, if the amount is less than a couple of grand the police wont give a hoot. and your bank are being lazy sods asking you to deal with HSBC anyway. you dont go to a restaurant, order your dinner with the waiter and then expect to be told to go and tell the chef yourself what you want for tea. tell them to earn their money, the lazy sods.

3. no banks are just cnuts even though they say sorry and not mean it!

4. Used to work for Lloyds TSB, so know something about this.

If you suspect fraud, you are to report it to your bank, eg. Lloyds TSB. Thereafter your bank will (should) investigate the matter, and this includes talking to other banks that may be involved.

Your bank is wrong to tell you to go directly to a bank you have no connection with. That's their job. Although HSBC should probably have told you this.

5. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Fair points and thanks for the feedback - I'll ask my bank to take over again. Strange isn't it that in this world of worries about fraud that they don't seem very bothered. Makes you realise how much it happens.

6. My sentiments in my previous post clearly are ringing true - Do I win £5?

7. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

that as well. ;) there isnt £5 in the kitty though - will a half eaten opal fruit and some lint be alright?