HRMS - A Line Managers Dream

Discussion in 'Officers' started by zxninerpilot, Oct 19, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been using the HRMS Civvie management software for a while now, and wonder if it is just me or does every mortal thing entered on to it seem to go wrong or cause more problems than it creates?

If JPA is this good, then I'm off.

Has anyone had any luck with it?
  2. HRMS is pants, nuff said................................

What a great idea lets get rid of the HR experts and then get the line managers(mil) to self teach themselves on Civil Service regs.

I think you get the idea I'm not a fan............

Staff trying to input their trg details onto it; if they dont do it right first time, they end up in a hell of a mess.

On the JPA front, a little birdie told me that it utilises the same software as the CSA did.

4. I would use it if they ever get round to activating my account!! Some one send me a Chief Clerk please.
  5. The helpline is, quite frankly, not much help either. I tried to recruit using said software, and ended up having to call the helpline a couple of weeks later to find out why the post had not been advertised yet. They explained that I would have to wait my turn as they had significant staff shortages.

How ironic.

5 months to get someone in to post in the end. I could have done it in 5 days with the local job centre phone number. What a crock.
  6. Being fairly ancient, I have had to master countless military IT systems (PAMPAS, UNICOM, CASH, LAND CssR, DII, TAFMIS etc) but nothing compares with this pile of Shiite.

Being a 'Line Manager' is bad enough but HRMS is a nightmare. I have pretty well given up using the blasted thing unless absolutely forced to. :x
  7. Customs & Excise unwisely went for this - a veritable crock of sh1te. It wouldn't even calculate remaining leave allowance.

"If you had 30 days, and took 3 days off, how many days have you left - 'cos I don't know"

I understand they're now moving onto another ERP/SAP but are being told "don't expect any improvement".

Still, there's nothing as good as private IT consultants coming in and selling you heaps of unusable dross.

(Pauses rant for several beers)
  8. Phillistines! Embrace and move on. We all moan and suck our teeth at new and improved, just cos most of us haven't got the balls to get on with it and spend a little bit of time, in between posting on ARRSE and playing solitaire, reading about how to work the system. JPA, based on a very well established HRMS from Oracle, should be a revolution as far as IT management systems in the military go. Just think; no more flicking through 50,000,000 pages of AVR printouts, saving a few Brazilian rain forests, and no more waiting for 3 months to get your allowances sorted out by a pay clerk that really doesn't give a hoot about your pay or entitlements. This system will eventually give each soldie, sailor and airman autonomy over their allowances and entitlements - granted that the information input must be correct in the first place. Time to move on ladies and gentlemen and accept and adapt to the change!
  9. HRMS

Good points: Claims take three days to get paid and are to the most part correct.
    Bad Points: The line manager’s worst nightmare! Staff on duplicate posts, HRMS lines, Unable to enter leave or sick records, JOB's? So bad they have had to take them off the system to enable staff to even see available posts.
    All this and only if you can connect to the damn thing in the first place!!! It has more down time than the titanic!

Rather than manage staff a manager is now a highly paid clerk, spending more time attempting to enter into a system that spits the data back at you then crashes more often than a Top Gear presenter!

Take a look at the number of civil servant posts now being advertised internally purely to administer a teams HRMS nightmare. The whole point of HRMS was to decrease admin and admin staff, not make extra work for everyone to the detriment of the job they are employed to do.

The idea is a good one and an excellent example of yet another government IT project totally screwed.

JPA? The RAF guys I've spoken to would actually prefer HRMS cos at least they would get paid!
  10. JPA has been a pain in the hoop and no doubt. It isn't all that bad but we have been living through the faults rather than them being fixed initially before roll-out. Look upon us as the test pilots for this.
    It is a fair piece of software underneath - just really, really badly implemented by the MoD. I also doesn't work for everyone, which isn't a shock. We are a lot of different types of people in many different places and roles. Not wishing to sound like a cnut - you're going to have a lot of privates having a lot of trouble with this - as well as a lot of top brass. Word has it one of our top men sent his stuff to Gen Office for them to enter - it was returned as much can only be done under personal login!
  11. Ah, the inevitable collision between the idealist, the consultant and the end-user!

The problem with rolling out new IT systems to any organization as large and diverse as ours is that it inevitably takes 3-5 years to iron out the flaws, by which time - the evolution of software being what it is - the system is already obsolete.

My main concern is that reliance upon PPP initiatives to deliver will inevitably lead to poor goods: we (the customer) will only partly explain our needs (because surely it's obvious!?), the consultant will fulfil our requirements to the letter (in order to fulfil the contract and get the money) and the end-user (the soldier) then feeds back the flaws, requiring us to retain the consultant on a new contract to fix the bugs that "should have been obvious" the first time around.

If we trained our own programmers and project managers, gave them all a 3-year posting to develop the software and told them "make it work, you get an A-; if it's sh*t you get a C" then we might actually get decent software designed by people familiar with the issues and end-users.

Not that that would be acceptable in the current political climate, of course...