HRM Accuracy......

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by SunrayOneZero, Jan 31, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just splashed out on a super-doper Polar HRM, which seems to do everything including tell you how many calories you've supposedly burnt.... How accurate is this? When i use it on CV machines (such as an ergo) the independant counts (i.e on display and on watch) are roughly the same... but is all this a bit gimick to make is seem that you're doing more than you actually are?

2. Polar make excellent products, and as they are used by pro-athletes as well as those of us struggling to shift the belly, I see no reason why they would not be accurate. I found a website almost giving away much of the Polar range, got one of the cheaper versions and it certainly seems to be pretty accurate!
  3. Polar HRM's are spot on however when using the calorie function expect about a +/- 10% accuracy whilst exercising, however polar HRM's do not attempt to measure residual calorie burn(basal metabolic rate (that is calories we burn to survive and maintain homeostasis) or whilst our heart rate is below 100. Other brands of HRM Ciclo (?) being one, attempt to calculate calories burnt due to basal metabolic rate, however these are even less accurate due to BMR being due to many variables (body fat %, musculature, the bodies adaptation to exercise etc etc)

As for simply measuring heart rate they are very accurate and used by many physiologist's.

Sorry for the long winded answer hope that answers your question. a similar question was asked in a magazine/ journal called ultra fit i'll see if i can drag it out.

4. What was the website?
  5. msr

msr LE

6. Cheers