HRH the Duke of Kent visits his troops in South-West Iraq

HRH The Duke of Kent, Colonel in Chief of the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers and Deputy Colonel in Chief Royal Scots Dragoon Guards, has visited British troops serving on operations in Iraq.

" Did he don he's apron and have he's cammys left trouser leg pulled up!!"

Cynical **!

Better than having some grisly New Labour apparatchik roll up his willy-window for the troops. Surely Royalty washes its parts more frequently than the Guradain-writing editorial team. They've got by without truth-soap for a couple of decades now...

Whiskybreath said:
Cynical cnut!

Better than having some grisly New Labour apparatchik roll up his willy-window for the troops. Surely Royalty washes its parts more frequently than the Guradain-writing editorial team. They've got by without truth-soap for a couple of decades now...

You think he visit's Iraq off he's own back, I doubt it very much. Same gose for Politicians alike.

Did he try and pat a guard dog like he did in Bos? Moreover did he try and pat him again after it went for him? Bad Duke, naughty Duke...good dog Roffey!

No. The Duke of Kent is married to the tennis-loving one who presents the gongs at the Women's final at Wimbledon.

It's Prince Michael of Kent (the chap who looks like Tsar Nicholas II) who's married to Princess Marie-Christine von something-or-other.

Ah the one who looks like the old king, right, ok , now i'm with you
Mind you , say kraut at Buck house and see how many DON'T turn and answer you.

He's a nice bloke who wants to talk to the lads as much as he can in my experience. Good on him for going out to Iraq, he's pretty popular with both the Ghillie Jocko Donkey Wallopers and the Budgie Tamers.

(BTW safe tour lads...)

True Lt, it's nice to see the royals getting out there and doing what they do best (shaking hands not tabloid scandal before anyone starts) I would certainly rather shake hands with an HRH Blah of Blah than a Rt Hon (My ARRSE) Member for so and so.

All the best, Sam

MrPVRd said:
Didn't his ancestor die in a flying boat accident in WW2?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Edward,_Duke_of_Kent#Military_service

On 25 August 1942, Prince Edward's father, the Duke of Kent was killed in an air crash near Caithness, Scotland. Prince Edward succeeded his father as Duke of Kent, Earl of St Andrews and Baron Downpatrick. He later took his seat in the House of Lords in 1959.
The Duke of Kent graduated from the Royal Military College Sandhurst in 1955 as a Second Lieutenant in the Royal Scots Greys, the beginning of a military career that would last over 20 years. The Duke of Kent saw service in Hong Kong from 1962-63 and later served on the staff in Eastern Command. Later in 1970, the Duke commanded a squadron of his regiment serving in the British Sovereign Base Area in Cyprus, part of the United Nations force enforcing peace between the Greek and Turkish halves of the island. The Duke retired from the Army in 1976 with the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel. He was subsequently promoted Major-General on 11 June 1983, and Field Marshal on 11 June 1993.

It was alleged that the Duke's regiment was deliberately held back from service in Northern Ireland during the Troubles in the 1970s. Although the Duke was keen to join his regiment anywhere it was required to go, the British government were not keen to see the Queen's cousin exposed to potential danger, given the embarrassment his death or capture would cause. However, this story is almost certainly untrue, as it would have been much less disruptive to have simply ensured that the Duke was assigned elsewhere if his unit were required in Northern Ireland.

Taz_786 said:
Come on, its a privilege to meet a Field Marshal....
True, but you can't beat Phil the Bubble, I really really want him to go and visit the troops, especially with him in his full rig with all his gongs up!

"Can I come out on patrol? it's been years since I shot a w*g!"

Like or dislike the Royal Family - at least you know they won't be there for the publicity. I've met Princess Anne a few times and she seems great

Random_Task said:
Taz_786 said:
True, but you can't beat Phil the Bubble, I really really want him to go and visit the troops, especially with him in his full rig with all his gongs up!

My greatest caim to fame is being told to F@ck off by Phil the greek. :D

Private_Pike said:
Random_Task said:
Taz_786 said:

My greatest caim to fame is being told to F@ck off by Phil the greek. :D

:lol:

Very envious! Spill the beans! Or are you jealous the bubble will hunt you down and give you a good shoeing?!

Nothing too dramatic- was at Royal Ascot a few years ago and weaving back from the rails bookies to the bar when the crowd parted Red Sea style and HRH was striding towards me accompanied by some burly looking gentleman. I stopped in my tracks, transfixed and then did the side step routine to get out of his way- the only trouble is so did HRH. After a lovely two step I braced up in my best attention pose and stuttered something along the lines of Good afternoon your Highness. To which old man Windsor looks me up and down and says through clenched teeth "Why don't you F'ck orf out of my F'cking wey" Priceless and very classy.

Duke of Kent is Colonel-in-Chief of my son's regiment and is expected some time next Sept. for a bit of a party [ Change-of-Command and Trooping the Colour parade or some such ] though its unconfirmed as yet.. Last time he was out the lad had the privilege of receiving his Capt's pip from the man hisself..teary eyes wiped discreetly..Good Man, he joined the boys for some jump tower exercising and chowed down on IMP's at break...seemed less interested in shaking hands with local electeds and more keen to join in with the ranks....even sounded like he meant the usual kind words spouted at the fancy dress sendoff party...

Rocketeer said:
Duke of Kent is Colonel-in-Chief of my son's regiment and is expected some time next Sept. for a bit of a party [ Change-of-Command and Trooping the Colour parade or some such ] though its unconfirmed as yet.. Last time he was out the lad had the privilege of receiving his Capt's pip from the man hisself..teary eyes wiped discreetly..Good Man, he joined the boys for some jump tower exercising and chowed down on IMP's at break...seemed less interested in shaking hands with local electeds and more keen to join in with the ranks....even sounded like he meant the usual kind words spouted at the fancy dress sendoff party...
I suspect that's largely down to the fact that he's got a rough idea what of what blokes have been through/are going through.

Shame the same could not be said about other visiting dignitaries!