HR issue - Anyone know about notice periods?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by 2/51, Sep 5, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Have removed this, things are moving and senior members are supporting my cause.

2. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Do you have a copy of your contract which shows your notice period?

Unless your employer can prove in writing that your terms have been amended with your agreement after the initial contract had been agreed, then the notice period is as stated in the contract.

If you want to walk because of "intimidation", then that is up to you but you would potentially be in breach of your contract. Your employer could view this as you attempting to avoid your notice period in order to start working for a competitor sooner that your contractual terms would allow. You may have to defend your decision by way of an employment tribunal to justify your actions.

3. I really don't think any company is going to waste its own time & money to pursue an ex-employee for moving on. The cost of any action far outweighs their own legal costs should they decide to go after you. Any bad publicity won't be good for their PR either. Never heard of anything happening to anyone in middle level management in the 20+ yrs i've spent in the construction/design industry. Having said that keep records of all convos & digital comms.

Leave at your months notice & crack on. Fcuk them off at the high port.

• Like Like x 5
  4. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

And I know of a number of people who have lost a lot of money due to breaching their restrictive covenants when changing employers. If the project his new employer wants him to work on is in competition with his old employer, any action outside of contract exposes him.

The contract is the deciding factor. You need to do what you agreed to, or what may subsequently be agreed by both parties. Either side making a unilateral decision to ignore the contract allows the other side to take action. Do so at your own risk.

5. The normal notice period is one week per year of service unless stated otherwise in a written contract signed by both parties. During the notice period, you are entitled to pay for sick leave and vacation or pay in lieu of the vacation time off.

Your HR department should have a copy of the contract if not you are on good ground unless you have worked there for 8 years or more. Your company may threaten legal action against you but the courts allow former employees to actively search for and obtain gainful employment and will take this into account. Document all harassment by the company (send incriminating e-mails to your home e-mail address if you have to). In my opinion though it is better to work with your present company, you never know when you might need that glowing reference from your old bosses for a new company, in other words don't burn your bridges. keep your next employer in the know, let them know what the situation is.

More info here.

Get free advice about handing in your notice and pay rights from the Acas Helpline.
    Acas Helpline
    Telephone: 0845 747 47 47
    Text relay: 18001 0845 747 47 47
    Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
    Saturday, 9am to 1pm
    Find out about call charges

If you can’t resolve a dispute about your notice pay with your employer informally, you can follow your company’s grievance procedures.
    If this doesn’t work, you may be able to make a complaint to an employment tribunal for breach of contract.

Mo
    Get free advice about handing in your notice and pay rights from the Acas Helpline.
    Acas Helpline
    Telephone: 0845 747 47 47
    Text relay: 18001 0845 747 47 47
    Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
    Saturday, 9am to 1pm
    Find out about call charges

If you can’t resolve a dispute about your notice pay with your employer informally, you can follow your company’s grievance procedures.
    If this doesn’t work, you may be able to make a complaint to an employment tribunal for breach of contract.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Check your contract, and remember that all HR depts are showers of gopping and incompetent c***s who act on behalf of your employer, not you.

• Like Like x 5
  7. See previous post

8. Could you request unpaid leave ? Will you be considered AWOL if you just walk at the end of the notice period you gave ? Can you calculate the holiday leave you have accrued and request that as from 28 August ? Even if it's not a month's worth, could you negotiate a mix of annual leave and unpaid leave so you can get out of the place ?

Despite your opinion of them, they might wish to shaft you in the future regarding your reference should you request one.

9. You could just walk out after payday.

Some companies would offer you some incentive to stay, if you turned that down they may just say go, without having to work your notice.

10. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

It might be worth your while trying to negotiate some sort of compromise based on the reasons you gave. Perhaps work for 28 days then terminate contract early with full release in exchange for no pay?

Make sure that part of the deal is a pre-agreed reference, copy to be taken with you.

Of course, you need to find a suitable person to negotiate with, and they need to be bothered enough to do it.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

11. There are two seperate issues here. The first, as you have stated, your contract was changed with your agreement and the notice period is now two months. As you say, your fault for not checking, and they have you banged to rights.

The second, and probably more important is the bullying and intimidation.

"There are further complications reguarding intimidation and bullying and yesterday, the person I am having issues with was sent to "pursuade me to stay". This ended up in this person once more trying to intimidate me. I asked for HR representation to which I was told no. I walked out the "meeting" and went straight to HR."

In my experience this is not short term and has been going on for a while. Have you documented it? Spoken to HR? Made complaints via the CoC? If you have evidence, then personally I would email it HR and CoC and tell them in no uncertain terms you are forced to leave because nothing has been done about it, and you will see them at the Industrial Tribunal. Empty desk and leave.

Unfortunately with bullies they only understand one thing, start playing them at their own game and they soon start panicing and playing ball.

Go and buy a dictaphone or video pen/watch now and then send the email. Record all further meetings.

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

All good advice, your company even if you don't have a personal contract has to issue a set of Ts and Cs which may show notice on a sliding scale linked to service with a min and max term. Also my current contract doesn't allow for taking leave in lieu of notice but as every firm I've walked from has tried to take money from me I've never worried about a week or twos money and usually bailed straight after pay day!

13. If there is a bullying and harassment issue then you are at liberty to walk immediately and commence proceedings for a constructive dismissal.
    Have you followed the published grievance procedure and had your concerns about this persons behaviour both logged and investigated?

If so and your concerns are on record then it may be worth considering (after professional legal advice into your exact circumstances) the constructive angle.

You then have a bargaining chip... Drop the two Months notice period in exchange for dropping potential action.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Shit on his desk

Nice simple solution, and should see you out of there within the day :)

15. Fill a jerry can with water and add about a tablespoon of petrol to it. Walk in to the boss's office and pour the can over your head. The air will fill with the smell of petrol and by the time you've struck the match your HR issues will have dissolved as quickly as the boss's underwear.

• Like Like x 2