HQ Coy, 7th Rifles - What Trade to Choose?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by bishbashbosh, Jul 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello All.

I'll hearing tonight whether my application to join the TA is successful (ADSC(P) at the weekend).

I'm unsure of what trade I should choose at HQ Coy, 7th Rifles; Assault Pioneer, Medic or Signals.

I'm not an civvie mechanic or engineer so joining Remy would be ill-advised.

I work a lot with computers on civvie street, so I'm not too keen on more of the same. I'd like to be running around - not stuck in some trailer staring at a monitor (is Signals anything like this?).

I'm not too enthused by the idea of Assault Pioneers - are these guys ever on the frontline or do they just construct FOBs and camps? ARRSEPedia says the Pioneers is "a trade to avoid like the plague".

I don't want to join as a medic since this would mean forfeiting CIC (which sounds like fun).

I'm sure all these preconceptions are completely groundless and I'm fully aware of how ignorant I am. I would appreciate all recommendations!

2. Assault pioneers are trained riflemen first and low level combat engineers second. If you do not like hard work then do not apply. It is one of the best courses a junior rifleman can do....not that I'm biased or anything.

3. ... perhaps not. Thank you all for your input anyway.

4. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

We'll be watching...

5. Infantry Signallers are also infantry first. They will be working at Plt, Coy & Btn level during an assault. They are always part of the battle.

6. "Infantry Signallers ... will be working at Plt, Coy & Btn level during an assault. They are always part of the battle"

Would I be more "in demand" as a signaller? I'm looking for the role that is most "combat-focused". I like the idea of being in the thick of the action.

Misguided?

7. In the context that it's a TA HQ Coy I would say that as a signaller you will be more combat focused. Look at any archive footage/war film you always see a bloke with a huge antenna sticking out of his backpack in the heat of the action. 7 rifles Sigs Coy has plenty of new blokes and the training is set to become more challenging. Next time you're in Brock talk to the RSWO/RSO.

8. Where were the signallers tonight?????

9. Assault Pioneer mate, no contest. If I wasn't happy in my current task, its where I'd be!

10. msr

msr LE

Seconded. If I wasn't commissioned, I'd be wearing the beard ;)

msr

11. Morse?? thought we were digital now do that in binary:)

12. Put all this into context. You have not even started your phase one training. Do not worry about trades/jobs, worry about your 9 weekends at Malta Bks and two weeks at Catterick. THEN start thinking about what to do next, you may not even get that far!

If you get that far you will have seen what the score is at Brock Bks and have a more informed view. My advice is forget that sh1te for now and just concentrate on getting loaded onto phase 1 and completeing that.

To be brutally honest you aint gonna get much of a choice anyway, depends what HQ Coy want you to do, not what you want to do in HQ Coy. Selfless commitment, needs of the team/mission above your own needs and all that. It aint civvie street where you get to kick off if you don't get what you want its the Army, more importantly the Infantry!

13. Thank you for setting the record straight.

I realise I can train as just a regular rifleman for now - this is what I plan to focus on.

14. Pob02

Pob02 War Hero Book Reviewer

Welcome to 7 RIFLES.